Poll: Yes or no?
Poll Options
View poll results: Yes or no?
Yes
8 13%
No
52 87%
Voters: 60.
Not delving into the realms of elitism or arrogance (=P), i'm just wondering if it's actually that rare a song to know on bass.

When I say "know", i mean know the whole thing and play it pretty cleanly, not asking for full blown JM replication here, just pretty clean, including the solo ¬___¬

*EDIT* It's a dream theater song......shameful (disappointed shake of the head)......
UNLEASH THE F0CKING BURGERS!!

10/2007 - Westfield B4000
10/2007 - Meridian SKAK20BA
01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
02/2008 - Hughes & Kettner BK 200
Last edited by mrcool123456789 at May 27, 2008,
I expect I could have a good go if I knew it and wanted to. As it is I don't even know who's song it is.
never heard it... I'm off to youtube now...

EDIT: interesting. nice bass, annoying piano.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at May 27, 2008,
Quote by the humanity
never heard it... I'm off to youtube now...

EDIT: interesting. nice bass, annoying piano.

Oh... you didn't... you just...

You just lost all man points. That is one of the most awesome ragtime piano solos EVER.

EVER!

TS, it's a song I'm learning. Some parts are rather tricky, others not so.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by CurbstompBass
That is an epic piano solo!

But yeah, great bass. I doubt I could play it, with all those time changes.

To be honest with you, when you get into it, the changes all flow - they make sense, so you don't notice them
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

I'm sorry. I don't like pianos that much.
Yes is about the most I can handle.

why do you think I bought a bass when I have a 4000 dollar Yamaha in my living room?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by mrcool123456789

When I say "know", i mean know the whole thing and play it pretty cleanly, not asking for full blown JM replication here, just pretty clean, including the solo ¬___¬

do you know the song? or just asking who does? if so, post an MP3 of you playing it.
Lol yeah I can do pretty well for the most of it, i don't know the solo, usually just improv over it, and the bit at the end i've yet to learn....... I know this means nothing without any mp3s or videos, I just never get around to posting any, ill try to do it soon........

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
do you know the song? or just asking who does? if so, post an MP3 of you playing it.

To misquote the famous quote--mp3s or it didn't happen
Great song! Got some whack timing! Pretty much the most mental song from DT I think. Iv almost finish learning it, once done il do a vid or something..
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
I doubt I could play much of this song, but then again I am beginning to wonder if I am actually putting my fretting hand in the right position on the neck
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Anyone who claims to be able to do this must post a recording. Else all claims are null and void.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I don't claim to be able to play it all cleanly, but I'm definately up for recording it when I can be bothered.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Nope, haven't attempted to, because I don't have a 6 string.
When I have the spare cash I'll buy a cheap Douglas 6 and learn it. Then rub it in your face.

Edit: And just out of spite, I'll learn it by ear. That'll teach you to act smug.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Insanity^2
When I have the spare cash I'll buy a cheap Douglas 6 and learn it. Then rub it in your face.

Edit: And just out of spite, I'll learn it by ear. That'll teach you to act smug.

I will write your name to remind you to learn it. And rub it in your face if you do not provide soundclips

Like that kid that said that Tommy the Cat was soooo easy and failed to provide soundclips everytime I reminded him.
Quote by watchingmefall
I will write your name to remind you to learn it. And rub it in your face if you do not provide soundclips

Like that kid that said that Tommy the Cat was soooo easy and failed to provide soundclips everytime I reminded him.

The actual riff isn't THAT bad. Its just getting all of his double stops and fills in. And then the solo

I'm gonna say that I can't. As far as I think, Delirium might be technically the fastest in the regulars. But I don't know. Plus I don't have a six.
Quote by SHEEM
John Myung is a sick, sick korean dude.

He's american.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by IndianRockStar
The actual riff isn't THAT bad. Its just getting all of his double stops and fills in. And then the solo

I'm gonna say that I can't. As far as I think, Delirium might be technically the fastest in the regulars. But I don't know. Plus I don't have a six.

The solo is actually not that bad.

The toughest part (in my opinion) is the section after the bass solo, where there is lots of string hopping, and the part where the bass keeps going back to the E. And that's just a question of stamina and memory.

And I'll fight Ben to the death for that title
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

i'm currently learning it, i'm about 30 bars in.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Insanity^2

Hey i'm a Glaswegian too, how 'bout that......shame sound control is closing, I say we loot it and steal all their Warwicks that they never sell got my sr506 from there anyways....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6W_beXLv0 That's me playing about when I should be studying for my higher chemistry, which is tomorrow ¬__¬

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
Just an FYI, you don't need a 6 string to play it.

Just transpose the high C string into the G and there you go.

And even moreso on topic:

I'm close to getting it, its just the part at the end of the solo where he plays those chords right before it builds into the heavy riff.
Proud owner of a LAGUNA OCEAN TB-75
Quote by mrcool123456789
Hey i'm a Glaswegian too, how 'bout that......shame sound control is closing, I say we loot it
I think this sentence sums up Glasgow.
Well, after on of the many attempts I have made on the song, it is safe to say it is near impossible on a 4 string Needless to say when I get my bongo in the next week or so I'm going straight for this.
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by smb
Quote by mrcool123456789
Hey i'm a Glaswegian too, how 'bout that......shame sound control is closing, I say we loot it
I think this sentence sums up Glasgow.

ROFL =P

Quote by Jorah
Just an FYI, you don't need a 6 string to play it.

Just transpose the high C string into the G and there you go.

It's not so much about the high C, you only really need that for the solo, it's very much a low-B intensive song, its awkward to play it correctly without one, you need to resort to octaving certain parts......5 string minimum I say, just like a lot of DT stuff........

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
Well I watched the video on Youtube and yeah, these guys' skills are sick. And I admit I'd seriously have to practice for a while until I could play it flawlessly
BUT
Am I the only one who doesn't get a kick out of this music? To me it's as if this is all about skills and really really fast scales and a dozen key changes, but there's no feeling in it. Like an emotionless robot. Oh well.
Have a rockin weekend guys!
Quote by alreadygone
Am I the only one who doesn't get a kick out of this music? To me it's as if this is all about skills and really really fast scales and a dozen key changes, but there's no feeling in it. Like an emotionless robot.

Ah there should be whole forums of UG dedicated to this arguement, to me, to be emotional, you have to be able to play fast and slow.....It's like emotions in real life, you can be just as moved by something really serene and peaceful as something really technical and energetic, DT play fast as well as slow and both ways work just as well, it annoys me when people say something like

Quote by MusicNoob#48948718787
Yngwie Malmsteen plays with no emotion, it's just a wall of notes...

because its not true at all...... opinions?

01/2008 - Ibanez SR 506
Quote by alreadygone
Well I watched the video on Youtube and yeah, these guys' skills are sick. And I admit I'd seriously have to practice for a while until I could play it flawlessly
BUT
Am I the only one who doesn't get a kick out of this music? To me it's as if this is all about skills and really really fast scales and a dozen key changes, but there's no feeling in it. Like an emotionless robot. Oh well.
Have a rockin weekend guys!

Listen to Scenes From A Memory and then say that.

Alot of people seem to have the common misconception that DT is just mindless wankery, and they couldn't be further from the truth.
Quote by CurbstompBass
Listen to Scenes From A Memory and then say that.

Alot of people seem to have the common misconception that DT is just mindless wankery, and they couldn't be further from the truth.

More specifically, listen to Through Her Eyes.

Dream Theater have skill and know how to use it.

For most shred, if you find it emotionless, your ears cannot keep up, or they interpret it in the wrong way. Just because it doesn't have a bend or a vibrato on every other note does not mean it is without emotion.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by SHEEM
John Myung is a sick, sick korean dude.

whatever it is that he has, i want it.

and for the record, no, i can't play to song.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Last edited by DemonicSloth at May 31, 2008,
I wanna try to learn the solo, maybe at 1/3 speed.

I really like the piano in the song overall, but there isn't as much bass as I thought there would be. I never really liked many songs without lyrics, but this one was pretty good.
~Insert Signature Here~
Quote by gm jack
More specifically, listen to Through Her Eyes.

Dream Theater have skill and know how to use it.

For most shred, if you find it emotionless, your ears cannot keep up, or they interpret it in the wrong way. Just because it doesn't have a bend or a vibrato on every other note does not mean it is without emotion.

Well let me rephrase this... I -just- don't get a kick out of this music although I can very well imagine that it really hits home for some people. There's an emotion behind every improvisation, but for me really fast and 'seemingly' random improvs just don't translate into the language of music I understand... I guess that's a good way of putting it. Peace out
I really like the solo from Lines in the Sand, it's very Pink Floyd'ish sounding. Dream Theater varies a lot in their solo styles, it's not all speed.