I am currently looking at starting to save for a new rig.

I am lookign especially at cabs which contain a woofer (15" or 18") and 2 10" speaker (and preferably a tweeter) to give me a large hlaf stack/small stack rig.

However, I am not great with many amp manufacturers, and so do not know many options when it comes into this range.

Any options welcome. Hell, a list of manufacturers who do one would be close to ideal (ideal being an easy to read chart comparing specs of all options which I can plug my bass into and try out).

As for sound, I would be looking for a minimum of 500W handling (I assume most cabs will be 4 ohm) though more would be nice. Tonally, I'd be looking for a good frequency response, with a fairly clear tone, though character isn't necessarily bad. Something which will allow the tone fo the bass and head to shine though.

If it helps, heads I am liking the look of the Trace Elliot AH 500-7.

Thanks.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
mesa powerhouse 1000 has a 15" and four 10's in it, and it handles 1000 watts.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Here's a list of those that I know:
Traynor: 15" +2x10+tweeter, 400W/4ohm
Hughes and Kettner: 15" + 2x10", 750W/4ohm
Ashdown used to make them, so you might find it second hand

Similiar to you demands:
Hartke: 15"+ 2x8" + tweeter, 350W/8ohm
SWR: 15" + 1x10"+ tweeter, 400W/4ohm
Mesa Boogie 15" + 4x10" 1000w/4ohm, and it'll cost you an arm and a leg :p

And the ultimate "stack in a box"
Tecamp's bad cab (2x15” + 2x12“ + 4x10” + 2 tweeters, 2400W/4, 8 or 16 ohm)
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Well, once you get onto the full stacks like the Ampeg, I feel I may as well just get them seperate. Although that Bad Cab look fantastic, I feel is is just a tad impractical. I am not getting a full stack for size reasons, and am only really focusing on the 3/4 size stacks because I will need good frequency reponse.

I have been considering woofer and 210 seperately, but my experience with 210s is that they generally aren't great quality, due to their small nature. Hence in my tiwistd logic I start looking at combination cabs, which I feel should be built to higher quality, due to higher cost individually, and have the frequency response of a 15" and a 210+tweeter seperately, and at a lower cost altogether.

I am liking the look of the Trace Elliot 115+210+tweeter. It goes down the 35Hz, which is very close to the fundamental of my low B.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Well, once you get onto the full stacks like the Ampeg, I feel I may as well just get them seperate. Although that Bad Cab look fantastic, I feel is is just a tad impractical. I am not getting a full stack for size reasons, and am only really focusing on the 3/4 size stacks because I will need good frequency reponse.

I agree, I don't think I'd get the bad cab myself. They are impressive, but not that practical.

Quote by gm jack

I am liking the look of the Trace Elliot 115+210+tweeter. It goes down the 35Hz, which is very close to the fundamental of my low B.

I never heard anything bad about Trace Elliot. Everyone seems to find them fantastic.
And if you decide later you want a 15"+2x12 or 15"+4x10" or whatever, you don't have to buy 2 new cabs, but you can just get rid of 1 of your cabs and keep the other.
So in the long term you might save money by buying 2 smaller cabs instead of one bigger.

And if you're worried about you low B frequency response, Hartke's new cabinet serie (the Hydrive serie) have a fantastic response according to their site.
The 15" goes down to 20Hz and the 410 to 30hz (an both go up to 17khz).
They don't have a 2x10 in that serie, though, so you'll have to get another type of 2x10 for a 3/4th stack.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by sam_ofzo
I agree, I don't think I'd get the bad cab myself. They are impressive, but not that practical.

I never heard anything bad about Trace Elliot. Everyone seems to find them fantastic.
And if you decide later you want a 15"+2x12 or 15"+4x10" or whatever, you don't have to buy 2 new cabs, but you can just get rid of 1 of your cabs and keep the other.
So in the long term you might save money by buying 2 smaller cabs instead of one bigger.

And if you're worried about you low B frequency response, Hartke's new cabinet serie (the Hydrive serie) have a fantastic response according to their site.
The 15" goes down to 20Hz and the 410 to 30hz (an both go up to 17khz).
They don't have a 2x10 in that serie, though, so you'll have to get another type of 2x10 for a 3/4th stack.

I can see the potential for upgrading by getting two seperate cabs, but in reality, I will not need it for extra power. The 3/4 stack will have a well balenced tone and will still push plenty of air. Still, I shall keep it in mind. I'ma long way of having £1500 so I can start shopping.

AndI shall defiantely take a look at Hartke. I'm not obsessive about having a huge frequency response, but if the cab barely manages a low E, like an Ampeg 810, it isn't worth considering.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I play through a Trace Elliot 4x10 for Jazz band, and wow. My Corvette sounds great through it. So I'd definately recommend them for you mate .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
What head do you play through it? I've been looking at heads and so far the ones that are appealing to me are Genz Benz (though damn near impossible to get hold of in the UK) and Trace Elliot mostly. However, for the Trace I definately need to put my bass through it to try. All the recordings I have heard of one (admitedly not great quality) have left someting to be desired in the low end, although the treble was briliant and bright, and the mids had a great growl.

And as much as the specs say a Trace 410 would do, I like the warm bass ofa 15" speaker, so one has got to be in the rig. How would you describe the tone of the Trace cab though?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
What head do you play through it? I've been looking at heads and so far the ones that are appealing to me are Genz Benz (though damn near impossible to get hold of in the UK) and Trace Elliot mostly. However, for the Trace I definately need to put my bass through it to try. All the recordings I have heard of one (admitedly not great quality) have left someting to be desired in the low end, although the treble was briliant and bright, and the mids had a great growl.

And as much as the specs say a Trace 410 would do, I like the warm bass ofa 15" speaker, so one has got to be in the rig. How would you describe the tone of the Trace cab though?

It's an old Trace Head and a Trace 4x10. I would describe the tone as warm to edgy. Yes, if I turn down the tone knob I can get a fantastic tone for following a singer. Setting the tone knob to centre I get a great funk sound, some definite bite, but very clear.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
It's an old Trace Head and a Trace 4x10. I would describe the tone as warm to edgy. Yes, if I turn down the tone knob I can get a fantastic tone for following a singer. Setting the tone knob to centre I get a great funk sound, some definite bite, but very clear.

Sounds like I need to head down to Soundcontrol in London over the summer and try one out. Clear, with warmth and some bite? Sounds exactly like I need.

How is the low end on that thing?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Sounds like I need to head down to Soundcontrol in London over the summer and try one out. Clear, with warmth and some bite? Sounds exactly like I need.

How is the low end on that thing?

I can play a low B through it and it sounds okay. Not fantastic by all means, but I am playing it through a 4x10. It would work. Sounds good though. I might be able to get recordings in about a week, as I'm playing a large farming festival down here. So I'll keep you posted on that.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Well, the 15" speaker on the Trace Elliot 3/4 stack is tunes to 32 Hz, which is just below my low C. My Sweet 15 shakes the floor with 150W and a resonant frequency 35Hz. I think I should manage on that front.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1