What do you consider to be "punk" it being music or anything you can come up with
also, who do you think are some of the most influential people
who started Punk
its whatever you want it to be. me listening to jazz is punk because no one thinks i should listen to jazz or its not considered cool to listen to jazz.
punk is a form of getting a message out without much musical strategy or personal tactfulness, often about a political or social discrepancy

influential people....sid vicious, jello biafra, joe strummer, henry rollins, johnny rotten, just off the top of my head.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
punk could be:
Punk Rock (music with downard strokes, high speed and incistent compass, with really cool distortions and a raspy voice, with anarchyst letters)

Punk (culture, a punk could be those guys with crest, chains, tight pants, which is the american puunk, the english punk is an stereotype like the ramones and the latinamerican punk is also different).

Punk (insult, if i say you are a punk means something like asshole or pitty)

Punk (verb, when you punk somebody means you made him/she mad)
Defining punk is a very subjective and tricky thing. It started as a very artistic movement based around ostracized intellectuals who were looking to expand their art, in addition to harboring those who sought to tear down rock 'n' roll and reinvent it. Later it became very political and aggressive, once touched upon by the British scene.

Citing the most influential is nearly impossible. However, the early punk acts were bands such as The Velvet Underground, MC5, the Stooges, and the New York Dolls. They were followed by bands like Television, the Voidoids, Patti Smith, Blondie, and the Talking Heads. Finally, England got a hold of it and bands such as the Sex Pistols, the Damned, Adam and the Ants, and the Clash started popping up.

/biggest rush of early punk history ever.
DOWN&OUT
Punk is doing what you want to do with your life, not what other people want you to do with your life. Punk is also a type of music, The sex pistols (sid vicious) "created" punk, but many poser bands arose (pop punk bands) such as blink 182, newer greenday, simple plan, good charlet, and many more But also real punk bands came to be also, such as dead kennedys, the casualties, the exploited, early sum41 and anti-flag, and NOFX
The Ramones started punk. Then followed the Sex Pistols.. or was it the other way around?...

Who gives a crap... all I know is that NOWADAYS punk is CRAP
What possessed you to ask this question in PP&E, rather than the punk forum?
There is poetry in despair.

This is worse though, because it's in PP&E.

Anyway, the Definition of Punk is an incarcerated individual who performs fellatio in exchange for tobacco products.
Quote by punxrule117
Punk is doing what you want to do with your life, not what other people want you to do with your life. Punk is also a type of music, The sex pistols (sid vicious) "created" punk, but many poser bands arose (pop punk bands) such as blink 182, newer greenday, simple plan, good charlet, and many more But also real punk bands came to be also, such as dead kennedys, the casualties, the exploited, early sum41 and anti-flag, and NOFX

No offense cause most of what you said is right, until you lingered off on your personaly vandetta against "pop-punk" bands. Blink 182 for one, actually stood for the very values you just mentioned and to this day even though Tom Delonge is as far from punk as my dead grandmother (god bless her), he still says to live by your own means, do what you wanna do, and stop following the stupid life trend that everyone follows.

There's a famous punk quote about kicking a trash can over, that does a great job summarizing everything.

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over the garbage can and says 'That's Punk?', and I say 'No that's trendy!'
Hey guise! I think that punk is doing what u want no matter whut like that time i was like getting a burger an my friend said i shud put mustrad on it but i put barbecue sauce on instead cuz i dunt need ne one's conformity evr!

Punk is music based of of anger and social alienation and is usually loud, fast and very, very aggressive.

A punk rocker is a devotee of punk.

As far as influential people I would say Henry Rollins, Rick Agnew, Olga and Richard Hell on top of most others listed.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Quote by punxrule117
But also real punk bands came to be also, such as dead kennedys, the casualties, the exploited, early sum41 and anti-flag, and NOFX

I'm going to try really hard to ignore all those other bands and pretend you only said Dead Kennedys.
it depends on what context your using punk in...

punk isnt a clothing style or a musical style really its an attitude or life style. its standing up and saying what you think, its rebelion. when someone pisses you off or does something that annoys you, you stand up and say "get ****ed" thats what punk is the "clothing style" is a part of the rebelion you wear curtain things and do certain things that will make people uncomftable. the same thing with the musical side of it. the stereotypical "punk music" (fast, very simple riffs) WAS punk because back when it began (late 60's-70's) no one had that it made people uncomftable but nowadays its not like that because theres so many bands out there claiming to be punk and they are far from it such as blink 182 a good band but far from punk. and not all punk music is short and fast, look at patti smith, billy bragg even bob dylan.

influential people - iggy pop (the stooges really started the music side of it aswell as bands like new york dolls, mcf), roger waters (listen to the lyrics), jim morrison (he voiced his opinion everytime he opened his mouth), henry rollins
(he proves that you dont need use violence to win a war he fights with words.) jello biafra (its pretty ****en obvious the dead kennedys did nothing BUT pick out the bull**** in society)
The definition of punk is what you are not...

...And I'm telling everyone
Did you mean: junk

No standard web pages containing all your search terms were found.

Your search - punk - did not match any documents.

...Punk does not exist. It's all in your mind.
Quote by sargasm

Breath should be saved.

...I never was one.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
You don't know what I'm all about...
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Like killing cops and reading kerouac

Which, inadvertently, is the definition of punk!
Quote by Guitar Sushi
The Ramones started punk. Then followed the Sex Pistols.. or was it the other way around?...

Who gives a crap... all I know is that NOWADAYS punk is CRAP

More like nowadays punk is a DIY movement and the best bands play in basements, not on MTV or Warped Tour.

Punk is also a type of music, The sex pistols (sid vicious) "created" punk

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG
MC5, The Stooges, The Ramones, New York Dolls, and Television, were all playing punk before the Pistols had even formed. The Damned were the first UK punk band to release a single/release and album/and (I believe) tour the US, not the Pistols.
Also, people need to stop treating Sid Vicious like some sort of punk god. He was a useless junkie who joined because he was Lydon's friend and "looked the part." He just did smack and jumped around trying to act like Johnny Rotten.

Basically, contrary to whatever you may have heard, punk began in the US and then took root in the UK.

Some bands to check out if you wanna know about punk:
(Iggy and) The Stooges
New York Dolls
Richard Hell & The Voidoids
The Damned
The Buzzcocks
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Minutemen
Hüsker Dü
Warsaw/Joy Division
Crass
It's like the punk forum in here!
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
'Cept everyone's clothes are on
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by sargasm

This is worse though, because it's in PP&E.

Anyway, the Definition of Punk is an incarcerated individual who performs fellatio in exchange for tobacco products.

MONO BROW!

Quote by sargasm

U just da best lil pawnk rawker

And the real definition of punk is:

Punk is having a revival as far as I know. Punkbands are forming alot over here lately.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Quote by mckraf99
punks dead and its been dead. find something new.

No, you just don't know how to look past the mainstream. There's some great stuff going on in punk now, you fail.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything