Warning: Newb alert!!! (As in me)

As the title suggests, I'm thinking about installing a killswitch.

Ive seen a few videos on youtube on how to do it, but I'm still not sure on how to do it, so I need your help.

Now I know half the posts are going to be "Dude, your guitar is a piece of crap, why would you want a killswitch on that thing?!?!"

I might as well answer that up front. 2 reasons:

1. I want one. Nuff said.

2. Yes, my guitar is a piece of crap, and I'm getting a new one soon. But I dont want to have to install something I've never even used before on a brand new guitar. So if I f*ck up, It wont cost me too much.

I already have a switch in mind: LINK

So what exactly do I do???
?!
solder the hot wire to the hot on the switch, ground wire to ground on switch

and use the searchbar to find the ultimate killswitch thread. you'll find everything you need to know. the switch is perfect btw.

even if your guitar was a piece of crap, who cares, its yours, have fun!

Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
solder the hot wire to the hot on the switch, ground wire to ground on switch

and use the searchbar to find the ultimate killswitch thread. you'll find everything you need to know. the switch is perfect btw.

even if your guitar was a piece of crap, who cares, its yours, have fun!

Ok, thanks.

One more question though. Does it matter where I install the switch, because I was thinking about putting it between the volume and tone knob.
?!
Quote by grenade24
Ok, thanks.

One more question though. Does it matter where I install the switch, because I was thinking about putting it between the volume and tone knob.

It shouldn't matter, but it's best to put it near the pots. I took my tone knob off and just replaced it with the switch.

Killswitch Thread too.
Dude, Get one that can be portable, as in detachable. That button is perfect man, but while ur at it get a project box from radio shack. Cheap stuff, and then solder wires from the button to your guitar cord, and if the wires are long enough use it as a foot pedal.. Its what i do and its awsome
anywhere you like, check that thread out, you'll find everything. just hot-hot, ground-ground. if you can solder, you'll do fine.

if you can't solder:

1. 10 dollar iron from radioshack
2. 60/40 rosin core solder from the shack
3. an hour of practice
4. google how to solder correctly
5. ??????
6. PROFIT!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by MorganFiddler
Dude, Get one that can be portable, as in detachable. That button is perfect man, but while ur at it get a project box from radio shack. Cheap stuff, and then solder wires from the button to your guitar cord, and if the wires are long enough use it as a foot pedal.. Its what i do and its awsome

don't do it. 'portable' in my opinion is just cheap looking and a pain in the ass. just drill and solder.

'portable', what are you going to do, use your switch 15 feet away from your guitar?

EDIT: you can use it as a foot pedal, but you gotta have mad skillzszsz to play teh bucketheadszs
Quote by Invader Jim
Last edited by THE Saint Jimmy at May 27, 2008,
Okay, One more question.

My dad might have the right kind of wire laying around for us to do it ourselves, so what kind of wire would I need???
?!
the kind with metal in it

/sarcasm.

just about any guage is right, if that's what you're asking. i prefer stranded to solid core wire, because if there is a break in the wire, it's a bitch to find, so you have to replace it. stranded doesn't break as easily. but smaller guaged wire is good. but not too tiny,.
Quote by Invader Jim
I built my own, and it's attached onto my cable, so I can put it on any guitar. It took me like ten minutes with crap lying around the house, I used an old car window control as the switch.

Go to
http://www.instructables.com/id/Removable-Guitar-Killswitch/

for easy instructions. Anything will do, and it sounds exactly like an expensive killswitch and wiring.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

you can put any killswitch onto any guitar without it being directly attached to the cable.

THERE IS NO EXPENSIVE KILLSWITCH. but they look better than crap lying around the house. sure, you could use an old window switch, but why do that when you can use a SPST momentary from the shack for 1.99?

sorry, just doing things great from the start save you hassels in the longrun i've learned. imo.
Quote by Invader Jim