tube (valves)
138 90%
other (please specify
1 1%
don't care
8 5%
Voters: 153.
Page 1 of 2
I am an amp noob, but from what I read, tubes are the older method, which, while maybe giving you a slightly better sound, are much less convenient.

What are your opinions?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Tubes are almost always better since the clipping you get from tubes sounds infinitely better than what you get from an SS amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I find good tone to be more convenient.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i`ve played, 3 1/2 stacks

Line 6 spider II 75HD Solid State

Marshall Mode 4 350 Hybrid

Marshall JCM900 4500 Tube

Line 6: good entry level 1/2 stack, but it`s more a toy then an amp, has a few cool effects, basicly you buy this amp because you love gain and you think 1/2 stacks are TEH Broootalz. i know, i was that guy LOL

Marshall Mode 4: More of a tube feel to it, EMG`s react alot like they do on a tube amp, sheer GAIN, WAYYYYYY better then a SS amp, the tone isn`t a tube amp but it`s not bad either.

Marshall JCM900: a real tube amp, honestly has the least amount of gain compared to the other 2 BUT as i found out gain isn`t everything, the tone is godly compared to the SS and Hybrid, and sound and volume are far better, the mode 4 is louder but the JCM is alot smoother and doesn`t hurt your ears as much, feedback is so much more controlable and pinch harmonics are so clear and loud.... bottemline, in my experiance you can`t beat an all Tube head/amp

i`m thankfull really for UG because if it wasn`t for them i`d still own my Spider stack HAHA.
The only real difference is sound/tone. If you're not too bothered with it then no, there is absolutely no difference/advantage. As far as convenience, while tubes/valves can break or burn out, they can also be replaced. Solidstates can overheat or sometimes catch fire...in which case you'll be in the market for a new amp, because it is not feasible to repair a solidstate.
Picking dynamics are awesome on tubes, not to mention the way they practically make love to a good wah pedal.
So, can someone suggest a good low end tube amp for me? preferably under $400.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
What kind of music do you play, what kind of tone do you want?
classic rock and blues rock, some light psychadelic and maybe Punk. Think Slash or Eric Clapton.

I want something with simple controls. not terribly heavy, and in the $400 or less price range.

Quote by John Frusciante
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at May 27, 2008,
im going to take it more of classic rock (guns and roses), if so i recamend a used peavey classic 30
Yea, the classic Guns N Roses is exactly what I'm looking for.

Someone actually recommended the exact same thing to me today.

How hard and how often do you replace the tubes? And how do you know when they need changing?

Quote by John Frusciante
Used Peavey Classic 30. Plenty of power for medium sized gigs. There are so many of them out there that they're usually available for under $400. Great little jack-of-all-trades amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ehh changing tubes is easy, change them every 2ish years, or if one blows. Also if you buy a peavey classic 30 used, you might want to change the tubes and possible speaker.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Yea, the classic Guns N Roses is exactly what I'm looking for.

Someone actually recommended the exact same thing to me today.

How hard and how often do you replace the tubes? And how do you know when they need changing?

you know they need to be changed when the amp stops working or becomes very quiet.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
also try a peavey ultra or a B-52
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
Okey dokey, thanks guys!

Quote by John Frusciante
i wish all threads like this would get closed and the thread starters get warnings. there have been way too many of these threads in this week alone. just go play an amp, if you like it good, if you dont, find one you do like.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
It really doesn't matter. Most of the people in here blindly advocate tube from word of mouth rather than actual experience. The best clean and overdrive sound I have ever heard were on a solid state Fender amp from the 80s, bar absolutely none.

Secondly, Tubscreamers, Fuzz, Distortion pedals etc are SOLID STATE TECHNOLOGY. Yes thats right, so when you flip on that Tubescreamer (which is not a true overdrive, it's a distortion pedal with a kick in the mids..) you are adding a solid state layer of gain over your amp so regardless of how 'tubelike' the tone you have is, you're still essentially messing with solid state gear.
Tube amps have a warmer sound/tone to them while SS is different, just depends on what sound you are going for. Johnny greenwood out of radiohead still uses an SS amp in his Gear its some sort of an 1980's fender.
Quote by TimmyPage06
It really doesn't matter. Most of the people in here blindly advocate tube from word of mouth rather than actual experience. The best clean and overdrive sound I have ever heard were on a solid state Fender amp from the 80s, bar absolutely none.

Yeah? What amp? You could certainly argue that some of the best cleans or high gain sounds can be gotten from certain SS amps, but that crunchy, bluesy center is heavily dominated by tubes. Any SS amp that effectively emulates the crunch of a Palomino V16 probably costs up to 10x more.

Quote by TimmyPage06
Secondly, Tubscreamers, Fuzz, Distortion pedals etc are SOLID STATE TECHNOLOGY. Yes thats right, so when you flip on that Tubescreamer (which is not a true overdrive, it's a distortion pedal with a kick in the mids..) you are adding a solid state layer of gain over your amp so regardless of how 'tubelike' the tone you have is, you're still essentially messing with solid state gear.

A quality analog pedal is a composite of wires, capacitors, and resistors - not unlike those found in the highest quality all tube amplifiers! So to refer to them as "solid state technology" is more than a little disingenuous. It's these types of design features that make a Pritchard amp better than Fender Frontman, or an analog fuzz warmer and more pleasing to the ear than a digital fuzz.

Tubescreamers, fuzz, distortion, -or any type of boost pedal- work differently with tube amps than they do with SS amps, too. Depending on the users settings, they'll actually push the tubes in the amp harder, getting more of the amp's true natural overdrive to come thru. On a SS amp, it works exclusively as a simulation, otherwise it will push the amp into harder, unpleasant SS clipping.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by TimmyPage06

Almost all high gain amps have a solid state rectifier built in

The Mesa Boogie Rectifier series are a great example... tons of people prefer the solid state rectifier over the tube rectifier.

Solid state isn't bad at everything, it just doesn't need to take the place of tubes.

EDIT: There is also a difference in an analog pedal and a Line 6 processor. To me, pedals aren't 'as' solid state as digital multi effects processors and stuff
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at May 28, 2008,
Quote by chase312
Almost all high gain amps have a solid state rectifier built in

The Mesa Boogie Rectifier series are a great example... tons of people prefer the solid state rectifier over the tube rectifier.

Solid state isn't bad at everything, it just doesn't need to take the place of tubes.

I think the difference is, that rectifiers aren't directly in the signal path (or something like that). When it comes to rectifiers, I think I'd rather have solid state (or switchable).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Whenever I'm having to play my valve amp at home quietly, the thought that I might be better off with SS creeps into the back of my mind. But every time I get to take it out to gig, the sound just blows all those thoughts away and I fall in love with it again.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
well i'd say ss amps(for example the pignose) are perfect practice amps because they sound good at low volumes but for gigging i think tube amps sound amazing.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
I am an amp noob, but from what I read, tubes are the older method, which, while maybe giving you a slightly better sound, are much less convenient.

What are your opinions?

SLIGHTLY better sound? NO, THE sound, solid state his a blender grinding up squirrels as you play.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Quote by lukeekul
but it is true that valve amps are damn annoying and you have to look after them pretty well

Surprisingly (well, not) you don't have a valve amp yourself. Are computers annoying because you have to wait for 30 seconds when you turn them on? Look after them pretty well? The only thing there is really is the whole standby thing, and that becomes a routine very quickly.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^And all things consider, it is no worse than looking after a SS amp or even your CRT TV/monitor. I took my blues junior from downtown vancouver, hope onto skytrain, bus, and walked, and the electronics still work fine (considering where the tube hangs, it is surprising)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
TS, do NOT forget to look at the Blackheart Little Giant. ministack version is like $300 and pretty sexy. it's what i use. money left over could be used to buy an overdrive pedal of ur choice to get it into metal and such.

dimed it'll give you Guns N' Roses tone easy. no bells or whistles other than a 3/5 watt switch and EQ. it's sexyyyy

depending on how many watts you want it should be just perfect for you. go to my profile to hear sound clips. these things are like mini marshalls
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slatsmania
I find good tone to be more convenient.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chase312
EDIT: There is also a difference in an analog pedal and a Line 6 processor. To me, pedals aren't 'as' solid state as digital multi effects processors and stuff

solid state means transistors, I thought. overdrive pedals have transistors (or ICs) in them.

even so, i agree with what slats is saying. using a boost pedal with a tube amp isn't the same as using a solely solid state amp, it sounds better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

solid state means transistors, I thought. overdrive pedals have transistors (or ICs) in them.

even so, i agree with what slats is saying. using a boost pedal with a tube amp isn't the same as using a solely solid state amp, it sounds better.

As usual, Dave_Mc wins.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

That's exactly what I mean...

A true overdrive pedal doesn't have any gain stages. We're talking things like treble boosters which drive a certain frequency (treble or mids) into you amp to push the tubes into breakup.

While Tubescreamers do indeed have a boost in the mids, they still are set up with gain stages. Put one through a solid state amp and you will hear the tubescreamer sound. Put a treble booster through a solid state amp and it will sound like a cross between bees buzzing and an obese man with explosive diarrhea. Not a pleasant sound..

This is because of the way they are produced - after it hits the top of it's acceptable frequency on a tube amp you can push it further and it will get more and more distorted. Do the same on a solid state amp and you will hit a wall, after which the sound will not change to accommodate the extra volume, it'll simply cut off and get buzzy and raspy.

Another point - SS and Digital are different. SS I find sounds much more natural than Digital, but digital will be more accurate at replicating sounds, and hence digital delay and reverb are still quite popular. Not to say digital can't sound good, I've heard several good players play through little Line 6 spider practice amps and genuinely sound quite good, most people don't know how to tweak amps, and turn the gain and mids up far more than what they need to be, so it sounds terrible.

Just trying to give some education here. BB King plays a crappy solid state amp - the Gibson Lab amp. As does the guy from Kings X and they get amazing tone. There's always an alternative, neither sounds distinctly better to me, just different. All tools to your tone.
Quote by TimmyPage06
That's exactly what I mean...

A true overdrive pedal doesn't have any gain stages. We're talking things like treble boosters which drive a certain frequency (treble or mids) into you amp to push the tubes into breakup.

While Tubescreamers do indeed have a boost in the mids, they still are set up with gain stages. Put one through a solid state amp and you will hear the tubescreamer sound. Put a treble booster through a solid state amp and it will sound like a cross between bees buzzing and an obese man with explosive diarrhea. Not a pleasant sound...

What? Everything that amplifies is made up of gain stages.
Page 1 of 2