i play classic rock and my amp is a valveking 112. i'm want to get either a epi. les pual or a mexican strat. i will be putting new pickups eventually but wich would you recommend and could you list pros and cons and tell me about each. thanks!
Guitar:
Dean Razorback

Amp:
Peavey Valve King 112

Effects:
Boss Ds-1

Mxr Evh Flanger
Dime Crybaby From Hell
Epiphone Les Paul.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Epi Les Paul ftmfw. Will produce better sound for classic rock and if you decide to play in alternate tunings for modern rock songs, it will sound better. It plays better, and if you like Guns N Roses this is an obvious choice.

Strats have really low action set though. They're thinner, and don't dig into your side/belly. They have a thin, trebly sound though. Not so good with metal distortion[unless eq'd right]. But there are stacked humbuckers[see Seymour Duncan Hotrails] and you could hot-rod it for a unique blend of tones.

Me? I use a Squier. Have been for 3 years. No complaints.
I got some good guitars, yo.
im fond of my squier strat
ive played my friends les paul a few times, and it was alright
but i like my strat better
i think its easier to play
and i can get all sorts of tones between the tone knobs and my pickup selector
creative use of those and you can play anything

oh, and i think GNR sounds better on my strat than it does an epi les paul
but then again, i know how to use my tone knobs to get pretty much anything

oh and its completely unrelated, but epi SG's are total ****
just throwing that out there
epi sgs are awesome! better than mim strats imo. but you are asking about those two guitars...so I would say les paul. I think the standard series is better quality than the mim series...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
the les paul sound might suit you better, however i love my mexi strat and hate my epi les paul. just try em out and decide what you like. they both will do classic rock great. les paiul will be better for the zeppelin/kiss/ac/dc type tones, and the strat will do better for clapton/hendrix/rolling stones type stuff.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by fifer
epi sgs are awesome! better than mim strats imo. but you are asking about those two guitars...so I would say les paul. I think the standard series is better quality than the mim series...

The standard series is the mim series, so they are the same quality.

These are two very different guitars, so all we can really tell you is to try both, and buy the one you like most.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by darthalal
The standard series is the mim series, so they are the same quality.

These are two very different guitars, so all we can really tell you is to try both, and buy the one you like most.

sorry didnt make myself clear...the epi standard is better than the fender mim imo.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Could try an HSS strat for versatility? Sure it won't be a les paul sound in the bridge, but it will be close and then you will have the awesome strat single coil sounds in the neck and middle.

I was in the same situation and went this route. It's the most versatile option.
Quote by fifer
sorry didnt make myself clear...the epi standard is better than the fender mim imo.

Ah, my misunderstanding then.

I personally find les pauls more awkward and less comfortable to play than strats (though I love set necks over bolt-on, and favor humbuckers over single coils), and I'm sure many people carry the opposite opinion. As people here have said, it's simply preference, and you need to figure out which you like best.

I will say that I would much rather have a MIM Strat than a Epi LP with a bolt on neck, but it would be a very tough decision if it was one of the higher LP's (with a set neck, etc.), such as the standard, or the custom.
Quote by Dave_Mc
less headroom than the windsor head? what, does it distort before you plug it in?

I have a hss strat and I love it but the humbucker is pretty weak so dont think it'll get you les paul tones. It does however give more versatility. I say go for the hss strat in white with a maple fretboard. Contrary to popular belief, white does sound better than black.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
All I will is say is this. I've had my gibson les paul for two years. Recently I purchased a SSS MIM strat and put some lace sensors in.

I'm selling my gibson.

P.S. I play mainly alternative rock, not classic rock