It's a Vox Grey Wah. It's the predecessor of the Clyde McCoy. It tends to be thin and trebly. Actually works well in front of a fuzz - hence the reason he tended to use it early on. If you notice that's the tonebender there as well.
A Vox V847 would do fine though, the Clyde McCoy reissue wouldn't be so bad either, tends to be quite trebly.

Quote by GoDrex

That is not a wah pedal.

He changed wahs over the years:

1968 - July 1970 was the Vox Grey Wah. He also used it during the Yardbirds as well.
August 1970 to July 1971 was a Vox Clyde McCoy.
August 1971 to July 1973 he used the Thomas Organ Crybaby
He breifly used a Vox V846 in early 1975. By May 1975 he started to use the Crybaby again and continued to do so through the rest of Zeppelin.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at May 28, 2008,
not to hijack the thread, but what wah did jimi hendrix use? not that im gonna go buy it, ive just heard so many diferent things.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
not to hijack the thread, but what wah did jimi hendrix use? not that im gonna go buy it, ive just heard so many diferent things.

Vox Clyde McCoy as far I know. I have a picture of him with a Clyde... I know Roger Mayer mentioned modding multiple wahs for him, all Voxes.
ok thanks whole lotta led, i thought he used vox. but i know that jimi gave jimmy vaughan (srv's brother) a crybaby once, and of course dunlop makes a signature jimi wah, and that confused me./\
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
If Jimi gave Jimmy Vaughan a Crybaby then it was a Thomas Organ Crybaby which have been around since the late 60's. The Dunlop Crybaby came about after they bought out Thomas Organ in the 80's, 84 I think.
Quote by Highwaytohell
didn't stevie happen to use hendrix's wah at his last gig? maybe I'm mistaken

he played it alot. jimmie vaughan later gave it to his brother stevie cuz he was a huge hendrix fan.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.