I though I had a problem but now I don't know.

Let me start by saying I have a Epi LP std. I changed the pickups to SD Alnico ll pro's. I have changed the 2 tone pots to CTS linear 500k, and the 2 volume pots to CTS audio 500k. I installed 2 orange drop caps(.022) for the tone knobs.

I am happy with the way my bridge reacts to the change in the tone knob. I like all the sounds that I get. Now the neck is where I think I have a problem(maybe not). I usually play with the tone knob at 0. At 0 it sounds real smooth, I like it. If I turn the tone knob up at all, my smooth tone starts to break up and sound harsh. That is why I turn it all the way down. I would like to be able to use the whole range of the knob and not be stuck on 0. I want more treble while using the neck, so I am going to change the .022 cap I put in, for maybe a .010 I know this is a quick fix but I would like to know if this is normal.

I don't know if this is normal or not. Please help. My Strat will do the same thing. If I am using it on the neck pup the tone has to be on 0. Thats why I don't know if it's normal or not.

Thanks.
What's your amp, that could have something to do with the harsh interaction between the tone and guitar. I personally never drop my tone below seven because its practically unusable if I do, I have an american strat, gibson lp studio.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Oh and check out stellartone.com They supposedly have very nice tone pots.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
I'm sorry I should have told you that already. I use a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and a Marshall MC 2X12 cab. I use a Boss GT-8 as well. This will happen with or without the GT-8.

You gave me a idea though. I will try it using headphone out of the GT-8. I have a little starter kit amp that I can try too.
Probably want to go the other way and use a .047 cap. You can also try a bypass cap on the volume that keeps the treble when you turn the vol down.
Quote by Tackleberry
Probably want to go the other way and use a .047 cap. You can also try a bypass cap on the volume that keeps the treble when you turn the vol down.

Thanks.

I keep the volume at 10, I dont think the bypass cap would help me.

If I wanted more treble with the tone knob at 0 wouldn't I want to change from a .022 to a .010? Wouldn't that bleed out less treble?

I though I knew which way to go with the caps. Am I wrong?
But if you had less treble then you could turn the knob up. Then would have a range to use other than just 0.
Quote by ninja23
I though I had a problem but now I don't know.

Let me start by saying I have a Epi LP std. I changed the pickups to SD Alnico ll pro's. I have changed the 2 tone pots to CTS linear 500k, and the 2 volume pots to CTS audio 500k. I installed 2 orange drop caps(.022) for the tone knobs.

I am happy with the way my bridge reacts to the change in the tone knob. I like all the sounds that I get. Now the neck is where I think I have a problem(maybe not). I usually play with the tone knob at 0. At 0 it sounds real smooth, I like it. If I turn the tone knob up at all, my smooth tone starts to break up and sound harsh. That is why I turn it all the way down. I would like to be able to use the whole range of the knob and not be stuck on 0. I want more treble while using the neck, so I am going to change the .022 cap I put in, for maybe a .010 I know this is a quick fix but I would like to know if this is normal.

I don't know if this is normal or not. Please help. My Strat will do the same thing. If I am using it on the neck pup the tone has to be on 0. Thats why I don't know if it's normal or not.

Thanks.
this is VERY peculiar. normally any "harshness" will come from the bridge. the signal from the neck pickup naturally will have more fundamental and less harmonics. there are only 2 possibilities that come to mind for harshness from the neck.
1 - the strings are touching or nearly touching the polepieces during their motion.
2 - the output from the neck pickup is strong enough to cause distortion in your amp.

in either case, lowering the neck pickup seems to be indicated. if a little more distance between the strings and the neck pickup clears this up for you, you're done. if not, i have no idea where to guide you from there.

good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks for the help guys.

My neck pup is about 4mm away from the string when fretted at the last fret. It is flush or just under the plastic mount.

As for the output being to strong, I have alnico ll pro's in there. They are mid output pups.

I rewired the whole thing today. I removed all of the Epi factory wiring and that damn plastic connector they put in there. Eliminated the harness that come off the jack, and re-wired everything myself. I did the 50's mod, and I have 2 vintage Bumblebees .018 and a treble bleed kit, coming in the mail. Tested and bought from a trusted seller.

I am pretty sure what I am hearing is normal. The 3 guitars I have owned all did it. I just think I have super hearing and pick apart tone to much. It seems like I am never happy.

The 50's wiring came out good. I will have good caps, it sounds better now that I re-wired everything.

If I roll my volume down a little it will help. I am going to put my caps in and call it done.

Thanks for the help.
SERIOUSLY---------
STELLARTONE TONESTYLER Tone control replacement, get one, thank me later. $79 and two wires to hook up. This made my Strat just incredible. 81 tone positions on a 5 way switch!!

The ToneStyler rolls off the treble in small cap clicks, leaves the mids and lows, check out the web site frequency analysis chart. This is so much easier than doing all that rewiring and parts hunt.

This works on all pickups after install even the bridge which I find so cool.
Position click 1 is complete bypass, no tone control at all, pickups to jack
Position 2 is a normal tone pot on 10, where mine stayed all the time, screw changing caps on the pots this thing has 15 quality silicon chip caps.
Positions 3 to 16 - incremented slight cuts of the high end.

This amazing it should be standard equipment on any guitar or bass. All passive, no noise, no pop or click. I never used to use my middle strat pickup, this thing brought out tones I have never heard out of strat, killer Jeff Beck type strat tones. And the full bypass is a killer plus to have. Setting the bridge on full cut 16 with heavy distortion blew my mind. Get one, thank me later.

Word to Marshall guy above. The DSL Marshalls hate effects. It was a good amp, high gain but I could not run much pedal with it.

The mighty tone monster Carvin V3. Retubed with high end Tung Sol EL34's and higher gained 12AX7's (check out thetubestore.com)

Last edited by FoolDrive at Oct 12, 2009,