I am selling my JCM900 tomorrow, and am getting an even grand to spend. I am looking at the Vox AC30, and have been interested in it for a while. There are just some last minute things about it that I want to know:

Is 30 watts tube enough for band practice and gigging? I am 98% sure that it is, but I just want to make sure.

How is the reliability factor on these amps? I have heard that they get some buzzing going after an hour or two of being on and played, and that they often over-heat. Have these problems been fixed?

How would running a Big Muff through it sound? It already has that dynamic OD that I don't want it to be sucked dead by using pedals. I am also using a TS-808 for a bit of a boost in my solo's. Should I run these through the front or FX loop?

Is this amp good for anything besides classic rock and blues? I like to dabble in some harder rock and want to know if it can handle it.

Anything else you want to tell me about the amp, good or bad, please do.
High as tits
Dirt usually goes in front of the amp, not in the loop. It's a really awesome amp, and if you wanted a hard rock tone, it takes pedals very well.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
all i know is deLeo from stone temple pilots uses one and that is what i consider hard rock
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
The f^cking thing rocks!

How far do you crank your JCM now? A quarter? Half? If you don't have it completely cranked, I think you'll find the AC30 is more than adequate. It's a notoriously loud 33W.

I know they had some reliability issues early in the CC series run, but I think they've been pretty much eradicated. I have a CC1. No issues with overheating or buzzing with mine.

I use a TS808 and an Analogman Sun Lion with mine. I think you'll get good results with a Big Muff. Run it in front of the amp.

With pedals, you'll do very convincing hard rock. It's not a metal amp, but G'n'R, Aerosmith... it'll do that no problem.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
its a really good amp. and I think the buzz isnt very loud where you can hear it over the guitar soung...it can do harder rock, but not anything close to metal, atleast not on its own..I dont know how it takes pedals, but I have seen some videos on youtube with that amp and pedals...check some videos out.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
The vox ac30 was in the top 5 of the 25 (higher end) amps that I wanted to try out for my next amp. Yeah, it's one sweet amp.

It should sound great with dirt boxes, and it'll be loud enough for whatever you want.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

How is the reliability factor on these amps? I have heard that they get some buzzing going after an hour or two of being on and played, and that they often over-heat. Have these problems been fixed?

First, never believe anything you read on the internet at face value. Find many reliable sources other than forums where false information gets passed around like cancer. As for the amp, those problems were never fixed, because they never existed. Korg/Vox are huge companies and they wouldn't just "put out" a production amp that became faulty or over-heated after only a few hours of use. People will now read your post and repeat it as fact and so on. I've never heard of, or seen, and malfuctions of this amp in real life, only on the internet.
First, never believe anything you read on the internet at face value. QUOTE]

yes...including this post

Im sorry i couldnt resist
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
^
Or that one. Oooh...a conundrum!

Sorry for that one...anyway yeah, those guys pretty much answered your questions, but I figured I'd back 'em up too. Slats has his sh!t down pat.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The Big Muff sounds fantastic with it. I was actually about to sell my Big Muff when I had my Classic 50 but ended up keeping it after I got my AC30 and was blown away by how nice they sounded together.

And as far as adequate volume goes, your dirty sound will be loud enough but the clean might not cut it. I usually run out of clean headroom whenever I'm playing ska in jam situations.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Eh, I don't play clean that often, and when I do it's a quiet blues jam anyways haha. Looks like I am pretty set on this amp, just don't want to pay the new $1199.99 price tag for it.

So the TS and Big Muff go well with the already sensitive OD on the amp itself? Or does it get too fuzzy?
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Eh, I don't play clean that often, and when I do it's a quiet blues jam anyways haha. Looks like I am pretty set on this amp, just don't want to pay the new $1199.99 price tag for it.

So find a used one. That's what I did.

Quote by Suicidal_Brick
So the TS and Big Muff go well with the already sensitive OD on the amp itself? Or does it get too fuzzy?

Not too fuzzy. You'll really like it with your favorite pedals. I had the chance to run a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 thru the thing, and may have to pick one of those up. Absolutely perfect match.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
First, never believe anything you read on the internet at face value. QUOTE]

yes...including this post

Im sorry i couldnt resist

yes, I FULLY understood that before I even wrote it.
I also love Rory Gallaghers sound on "Live In Europe". Does anyone know what treble booster he uses?
High as tits
I think I am getting the regular AC30cc2 and buying Celestion Blues myself later on... I am selling my JCM today.
High as tits
I know for a fact that with the right head, the 2x12 that matches this head is brilliant, I'm buying one for my Tiny Terror soon. and at £150 quid ($300), it's a bargain
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Gutch220
First, never believe anything you read on the internet at face value. Find many reliable sources other than forums where false information gets passed around like cancer. As for the amp, those problems were never fixed, because they never existed. Korg/Vox are huge companies and they wouldn't just "put out" a production amp that became faulty or over-heated after only a few hours of use. People will now read your post and repeat it as fact and so on. I've never heard of, or seen, and malfuctions of this amp in real life, only on the internet.

I beg to differ. I know a band that used one, the first time he got it, the reverb just stopped worked, sent it back, got a new one. This time the top boost stopped working every now and again, and eventuall the reverb gave up again, sent it back and got a new one. Has it around 4-5 months and nothing yet.

They arent that great on reliability, but if you want to take the risk for the sound by all means get one ts.
When I got my JCM900 the reverb tank basically exploded haha, all amps have reliability issues, I was just worried about the infamous buzzing that supposedly comes from the amp.
High as tits
Quote by False_God
I beg to differ. I know a band that used one, the first time he got it, the reverb just stopped worked, sent it back, got a new one. This time the top boost stopped working every now and again, and eventuall the reverb gave up again, sent it back and got a new one. Has it around 4-5 months and nothing yet.

They arent that great on reliability, but if you want to take the risk for the sound by all means get one ts.

There's no need to beg.
Also, I think some of the problems could be where you buy it. Northcoastmusic.com is IMO the best place to buy one, where a Guitar Center floor model would probably be the worst. I bought an AC30 from NCM and changed the tubes right away because I prefer different tubes.
I bought my AC30CCH from Sweetwater for $899.
Great sounding amp and my TS-808 sounds damn good through it.
Even my Danelectro pedals (FAB Distrotion, FAB Metal, Fish and Chips EQ) sound good.
I have 2 cabs I made for it. One is a 1x12, the other a 2x12. Both have Celestion G12K-85 speakers (bought all 3 speakers off of craigslist for $40 ).

It appears to have some overheating issues under EXTREME conditions.
Mine overheated last night, but that was only after jamming for 6 hours straight. Yes 6 hours without a break (hey we were really in the groove).

And don't judge this amp by its wattage. Believe me. 30 watts is damn loud.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jun 15, 2008,
Quote by CodeMonk
I bought my AC30CCH from Sweetwater for $899.
Great sounding amp and my TS-808 sounds damn good through it.
Even my Danelectro pedals (FAB Distrotion, FAB Metal, Fish and Chips EQ) sound good.
I have 2 cabs I made for it. One is a 1x12, the other a 2x12. Both have Celestion G12K-85 speakers (bought all 3 speakers off of craigslist for $40 ).

It appears to have some overheating issues under EXTREME conditions.
Mine overheated last night, but that was only after jamming for 6 hours straight. Yes 6 hours without a break (hey we were really in the groove).

And don't judge this amp by its wattage. Believe me. 30 watts is damn loud.

Seeing as TS settled on a fender supersonic, I don't think your little review on the amp really helps matters any.

Write up a review without bumping a month old thread.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
TS...Yes 30 watts is loud enough for performing. I don't know where you live, but in So. California USA a guy has a what looks like a great AC30 half stack and is asking 900.00 - that's speaker and head!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/720322850.html

the vox is a good amp and probably number 3 on my list of amps I would like to have! I would check where they are making the Vox Amps nowadays....I have heard of some QC problems. May have been resolved.
^Dude, read the post above you, DA said that the TS already got a supersonic.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Gutch220
There's no need to beg.
Also, I think some of the problems could be where you buy it. Northcoastmusic.com is IMO the best place to buy one, where a Guitar Center floor model would probably be the worst. I bought an AC30 from NCM and changed the tubes right away because I prefer different tubes.

I guess it could be some of the runs.

I dunno tho. personally unless I could get it from a local shop where I could return it if something happened I wouldnt buy it. But I still love the tone and always will!
Sh*t this is one one those threads from the past ! ! !

Quote by Kevin Saale
^Dude, read the post above you, DA said that the TS already got a supersonic.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Seeing as TS settled on a fender supersonic, I don't think your little review on the amp really helps matters any.

Write up a review without bumping a month old thread.

After last night, I did a search on overheating issues with the AC30 and found this thread. I didn't notice the date on the thread and was not intenionally bumping a thread, sorry I'm not perfect. And I didn't mean to post a "review" of the amp, just a brief note on it.

And my little "review" may help someone else to make a decision.
Quote by CodeMonk
After last night, I did a search on overheating issues with the AC30 and found this thread. I didn't notice the date on the thread and was not intenionally bumping a thread, sorry I'm not perfect. And I didn't mean to post a "review" of the amp, just a brief note on it.

And my little "review" may help someone else to make a decision.

I see.
That's alright, but if you really wanted to put a good review in a place where people have access to it, put it in the UG reviews.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I see.
That's alright, but if you really wanted to put a good review in a place where people have access to it, put it in the UG reviews.

You're an idiot. People don't have access to reviews on the forums?? STFU.

Codemonk: don't mind the children here. Your post helped me. Thank you.