Page 1 of 2
Which band do you think is the most "versatile" or works in different genres, and in different styles of music?

The one that I find that has more "genres", etc, would be Les Luthiers, with at least these genres, styles:

rock, jazz, cumbia, chamber music, baroque music, trobador music, milongas, boleros, payadas, gregorian chant, saloon music, 20's Holywood music (plus movie's music), classical, serenatas, chançon francaiçe (whatever the spelling), madrigals, cantatas, sonatas, rap, pop, romanza, lied, waltz, tango, suites, russian folk music, tribal music, children music, jingles, blues, arab music, juglar music, scherzo, samba, candombe, military march, gypsy music, ballet, shimmy, opera, hall music, oratories, zarzuela, rag-music, canons, fugues, carnavals, ballads, salms, rapsodies (sp?), motets, airs (basicly string quartets and such), serial music I think, guajiras...

and some more since I didn't watch all their shows...

So, what's yours?

I am also interested to find which bands don't stick to only one genre, maybe to start getting into them if they do (if they are known to be a death metal band for instance)
im just throwing out there dispatch and Ray Charles (is there any genre he didn't do?)
Cannibal Corpse FTW!
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Rush is pretty good like that, ever since thier first couple albums thier sound has changed almost every album, maybe every 2 albums. The nice thing is that even through all the styles they havent sacrificed any credibilty or quality of musicianship
well, Les luthiers melt a lot of differents styles in their music... too much style haha

but well, a band that I consider versatile is Opeth

They have elements of blues, jazz, hard rock, sometimes gothic... melted with death metal

If you don't like death metal, just listen their "damnation" album, it's made of mellow songs only.

You can also try other progresive bands like tool and dream theater
Almost every song has something new to my ears

good luck man
Gentle Giant and Aphex Twin.
Nobody knows who gentle giant is, by the way.
NOBODY.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Quote by bassnguitar
NOBODY.

Wikipedia does:

Gentle Giant were a British progressive rock band, one of the most experimental of the 1970s. Textually inspired by philosophy, personal events and the works of François Rabelais, the group's compositional purpose was to "expand the frontiers of contemporary popular music at the risk of becoming very unpopular."

Quote by bassnguitar
NOBODY.

im listenin to them right now asshole
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Quote by Raven_Flight
well, Les luthiers melt a lot of differents styles in their music... too much style haha

but well, a band that I consider versatile is Opeth

They have elements of blues, jazz, hard rock, sometimes gothic... melted with death metal

If you don't like death metal, just listen their "damnation" album, it's made of mellow songs only.

You can also try other progresive bands like tool and dream theater
Almost every song has something new to my ears

good luck man

Yeah, I know....

I may try Damnation....

Although I was thinking of versatility in a more wide range, not only "something new to ears" thing, or only slight changes from one metal subgenre to another one, or from "mellow rock" to "hard rock" and that stuff. More like general genres or styles, like only rock, blues, jazz, metal, etc...

Also, if people post the genres they do it would be better
But nevermind anyways....
lol, its just that they are a very very very underrated band, imo.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Soulfly are pretty damn versatile.

If Max Cavalera wants a song to take on a certain sound he just finds someone who can do it and invites them to play.
rhcp.

whatever. they do what they want.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
Quote by bassnguitar
NOBODY.

I know who they are...

Annnddd Between the Buried and Me.

And The Dillinger Escape Plan.
Quote by Broken_Drum
Oh, sorry. I'll do so for Aphex Twin:

Ambient, IDM, Drill 'n' Bass, Acid House, Techno, Classical, Noise, Electronic, Gabber, Ambient-Techno, Drum 'n' Bass, Jungle.

Sounds fitting

Nah, I heard some of Twin's stuff, and it sounded good...
Quote by backupbass1
btbam?

First band that came to my mind when I read the title.
Quote by backupbass1
btbam?

+ (over 9000) *tries to hide fanboyhood*
Quote by Joshm3r275
im just throwing out there dispatch and Ray Charles (is there any genre he didn't do?)

Death metal.
just go to prog archives.

but yeah few of my favs, Ruins, Mothers of Intervention, Mars Volta, Acid Mothers Temple even submission hold.
Umphrey's McGee.

They do everything from progressive rock to metal to reggae to electronic to jazz, etc. Just youtube them if you haven't heard of them.
The Beatles and Phish.
Megan Fox nude!

Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE
Buckethead.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by synpet713192
+ (over 9000) *tries to hide fanboyhood*

I am a BTBAM fanboy too, don't worry. Well, maybe not. Fanboys of anything tend to annoy me. But they are awesome.
Quote by Masonpwiley
I am a BTBAM fanboy too, don't worry. Not really, fanboys of anything tend to annoy me. But they are awesome.

I have yet to find any reason for me NOT to be a fanboy, tbh.
Page 1 of 2