maybe someone who knows about cars can help..

two nights ago my car decided to not start at all.
everything else but my engine turns functions as it usually would
when i turn ignition, ... my engine kind of turns on but then dies immediately.
my tank was just about empty when it started to not turn on, i got 20 dollars worth of gas and put it in a container and into my car, and it still wont turn on..

ive been told that the problem is something is flooded.
i have a 1992 pontiac firebird
suggestions?
What's with all the car threads in the pit lately?
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Oil?

I dunno, maybe the spark plug's out.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
batterys not dead .."everything else but my engine turns functions as it usually would"
dead battery or fuel line
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
i am low on oil .. and i was actually on my way to get oil when my car died...
Could be anything really, dead starter motor, dead spark plugs, broken HT leads, blah blah...

Was it running ok before?
if you can hear a kinda whirring noise when you turn the key, it'll be the starter motor trying to turn over and failing to spark up cos you have a flat battery...

...jump start!

G'luck.
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
yeah i was driving my car like an hour before it died.. everythings fine other than i was low on oil and gas.. im pretty sure i just ran out of gas.. but i put a container of 20 dollars worth of gas when it wouldnt start.. and nothing happened.
and as for my battery.. my radio, headlights, a/c... inside lights, all work smoothly. so idk..

ive been told somethings flooded.
Have you sorted the oil out too? Probably won't hurt. Probably won't immediately fix it either but still. Take out the spark plugs, give them a clean, multi meter on the HT leads.
Other than that, it'll probably take someone mechanically minded and I have no idea how good you are with a spanner.
You may need to prime it. I'm not sure how to do it exactly but when you put fuel in a turned off, completely out of fuel car you usually have to prime it.

Google it.
We're only strays.
maybe the starter motor or fuel pump

if youve been driving and suddenly you can't start again your alternator might not be charging your battery

so jump start it if it starts but ur alternator belt isnt moving then thats probably it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Starter.

Replace it yourself. They're about $50 if you return the core.

EDIT: Nevermind
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Last edited by IlikeTheSKA at May 27, 2008,
the whole reason my car died in the first place , cause it ran outta gas.. i put more in and it wont start back up.. the engine kind of turns on for about 2 seconds and dies
Turn the key to on and listen to see if the fuel pump is pumping. You should be able to hear it.
It's a fake wheel, dummy!
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Don't download music or you'll go to prison and get anally raped.
Quote by Aftertime
dead battery or fuel line

Hmm, close with the fuel line.

Its not the battery, doubtful with the ignition. If there was no flash of lighting or bolt of thunder then i am going to assume one thing...

The fuel pump might be dead, all too common a problem with cars. It either turns over and over and over with no starting, or it starts for a split second only to cut off. Fuel pumps go now and then, but they do go every so often with no warning at all. It could be 3 years or 12 years without replacing one.

On most cars today, there are two pumps, one under the drivers seat, and one on the fuel tank. The one under the drivers seat tends to go out more often.

Hopefully someone you know might have a fuel pressure tester, which is hooked up in-line with the fuel line and measures how well the line is being pressurized. If there is no pressure, its simple to replace yourself or have someone do it.

Just a word of warning, they can be expensive to replace; the fuel pump on my 97' suburban was $750 to replace and took only a day. The pump on my 86 volvo was $50 for my to replace myself.

Don't be afraid to look in the junkyards for one, much cheaper there.

I hope you get this fixed. Ask if a question if you need to.
Quote by pepsi1187
yeah i was driving my car like an hour before it died.. everythings fine other than i was low on oil and gas.. im pretty sure i just ran out of gas.. but i put a container of 20 dollars worth of gas when it wouldnt start.. and nothing happened.

wut is that...about 2 teaspoons nowdays?
Quote by leonardo.kornuto
You're pretty

ty
yeah.. my neighbor has been a car mechanic for 50 years and hell fix it for free. hes just out of town.

but pretty much what "dogismycopilot" said is what i been told. i was just curious to see if i could fix it myself.. if i knew what to do
Quote by ++BuCkEtHeAd++
wut is that...about 2 teaspoons nowdays?

hahahaah

Just have a look at my avatar
If you did run out of gas your problem is "You ran out of gas". No seriously turn on your ignition but don't start the cars you hould be able to hear your fuel pump run momentarily. Turn off key. Repeat about 15 -20 times. Then start the car. You'll be ok.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
If you did run out of gas your problem is "You ran out of gas". No seriously turn on your ignition but don't start the cars you hould be able to hear your fuel pump run momentarily. Turn off key. Repeat about 15 -20 times. Then start the car. You'll be ok.

well ..i did that and i was then told i flooded something ?
With older cars that aren't fuel injected, constantly opening the throttle will flood the engine/exhaust with fuel. If this is the case, when your car finally starts it'll backfire and produce a lot of blue/black smoke.

Your problem may be something as simple as faulty starter motor. As mentioned above, it could be something more serious, such as the fuel pump not working. I suggest you get your neighbor/a mechanic to look at it first before you do anything. It could very well be a stuffed alternator and your car isnt replenishing its charge. They're pretty simple to replace and you can pick one up from the wreckers for about $60 (second hand/not reconditioned)
Quote by deckerbastard69
did u try smacking the back end with a whip?

well, you cant go wrong there. always works for me
Quote by slashedaxl103
Ninjas..

That is all

Get back to work, slashedaxl103

hahahaha
There are three things that could cause it. No fuel, no ignition, or bad timing. Check those three things.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Its not his starter, if the engine turns over whenever he needs it to, there is no way it can possibly be the starter. The only the starter does it turn the engine over; it does nothing with ignition or fuel distribution or anything else for that matter.

It cannot be flooded because the car is fuel injected. If it has a carburetor, then it can flood if he pumps the gas too much, but its not.