I was just restringing my guitar, and for some reason, this idea popped into my head. I remember seeing a custom guitar somewhere where it was mentioned that the humbuckers were turned upside down and it made them sound different. So I was wondering, if I turned the humbuckers on my Epi Les Paul upside down (they're the stock open-coil humbuckers), what would the guitar sound like? Would it be warmer or brighter than usual?
Less output, the metal plate on the bottom would block a lot of the the vibration of the strings from the coils.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I would think the tone would change a lot as well. Probably sound muffled and overall not good. They come right side up for a reason me thinks.
Quote by BusterSword777
So the tone would stay the same, but the guitar would just not be as loud?

It's not as much the guitar being quieter as the pickups being less sensitive. Less output meaning less gain, and as I said less sensitive. Ideal for cleans, maybe less ideal for distortion, but it comes down to personal preference.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Hm... I guess it wouldn't hurt to test it out on the bridge humbucker, since I mostly use that for cleans anyway. Thanks.
by upisde down do you mean like the part that is normally on the inside of the guitar is now on the outside, or do you mean the part that normally on the high strings are now on the low strings?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
by upisde down do you mean like the part that is normally on the inside of the guitar is now on the outside, or do you mean the part that normally on the high strings are now on the low strings?

yeah i was trying to figure that out myself lol
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Oh, that would probably have no effect at all.
alot of strat players do that to their pickups to get a more hendrix like tone. it works when you have taggered pole peices, cuz his strat was strung upside down.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by BusterSword777
I mean that the part that normally lies under the high strings are now under the low strings.

Ohhhh. Disregard what I said then, they're right about the Hendrix-y thing.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
^Yeah I would imagine it wouldn't really work for humbuckers, but try it on a single coil!
Dang. I already turned it upside down. :/

Oh well. It actually sounds kind of fatter, but that could just be because I accidentally raised it closer to the strings.

To be honest, I'm just trying to get different sounds out of my guitar without paying for new pickups or anything else involving money, lol.
Not a single person has answered the question properly.
It's called the "Peter Green Mod" because he (PG) had his 58 les paul in for repairs and they accidentally turned the neck pickup around. He kept it that way because it sounded cool. You can hear it on a lot of his albums.
All it does is put the pickups out of phase in the middle position for a kind of nasally sound. I have one of my guitars wired so I can choose in/out of phase with a switch.
Theres a few people out there that swear by it, Dimebag was one of them. Some say it changes the tone others say it doesnt do anything. Sounds like personal prefrence thing to me, flip it, test it and if you like it you have your answer..
Quote by Roc8995
It's called the "Peter Green Mod" because he (PG) had his 58 les paul in for repairs and they accidentally turned the neck pickup around. He kept it that way because it sounded cool. You can hear it on a lot of his albums.
All it does is put the pickups out of phase in the middle position for a kind of nasally sound. I have one of my guitars wired so I can choose in/out of phase with a switch.

+1

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by Roc8995

I was actually going to say that.
But, yes, that is correct what roc said.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I've read some articles about some well known guitarists that do this.... even on both bridge and neck...

I don't know how true it is as I haven't tried it, but one of the articles was saying that it changes the voicing of the pickup. They were saying that the characteristics from the High E side to the low E side were different and that it provided a tad more warmth on the high strings and a little more edge to the low strings.
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator