This might seem a bit odd, but I need a song that doesn't use the 1st string; the high e string. I recently broke it and I still want to learn songs to add to my library. any suggestions?
I would recommend, "spend the dollar and buy the string" by The Cheap Bastards.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Pretty much any rock/metal tune that uses power chords would work.

Or you could noodle in your favorite scale.

Or part with $1 and get a string
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
most songs probably use the high e at some point, but really you can play any song and just leave out that strirng.
Hey There Delilah - The Plain White T's.

Also, do a search for songs in dropped tunings. If theyre in a dropped tuning theres a reasonable chance that they consist mainly of power chords and may not use the high E string.
^ Oh tom, say it isn't so! You didn't really just suggest that piece of rubbish did you? How that ever became a hit is completely beyond me. Is it just me, or does anyone else find this, er, "song", to be one of THE most annoying things on the planet these days? It ranks right up there with high gas prices on the "GET'S MY BLOOD BOILING" scale. That and BuckCherry's "Sorry". Man, those two are so overplayed on my local radio station it makes me sick. Sorry, but sometimes ya just gotta speak what's on your mind, and these two songs have been bothering me for a long time now. Jimtaka, feel free to reprimand me if you wish.
Threadstarter, just buy a new string man. Hell, my guitar store would just give you one if you're that strapped for cash, and you certainly shouldn't have to pay any more than a dollar for it.
Quote by Made Of Metal
I would recommend, "spend the dollar and buy the string" by The Cheap Bastards.

wow i love that song XD
If you don't already know Blackbird- the Beatles....
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
If you don't already know Blackbird- the Beatles....

blackbird needs the high e string .. and i like the delilah song .. they girls drool over it .. lolz
Quote by timmyinpajamas
blackbird needs the high e string .. and i like the delilah song .. they girls drool over it .. lolz

That's only if you have tiny hands and need to use the high E string when going up the fret board. I just stretch my fingers from 3 and 5 to 4 and 8, then 5 and 7 to 6 and 10, etc... And a good song to learn is Neon by John Mayer. Really it only uses for strings (B, G, D and low E strings), but it is wickedly hard to learn.
Quote by LeftyDave
Jimtaka, feel free to reprimand me if you wish.

bad, dave, bad!
The intro to "battery" by metallica.

|---------------------------|---------------------|
|---------------------------|---------------------|
|---------------------------|---------^0-(0)----|
|-^3--2--(2)-^2-(2)----|-^2--0-^0-(0)----|
|-^2-(2)-(2)-^0-(0)----|-^0----^5-(5)-----|
|-^0-(0)-(0)-^1-(1)----|-^2----^3-(3)-----|