So guys ive finally made my final decision on my new amp. Im goin for a 5150. Now i was lookin at the combo the most as it just suits me better. I wanted to know, does the combo still retain the same extreme gain as the head, ie. as in its sounds just as good? Also does it have an external speaker out incase i ever wanna hook up to more speakers? Also if so can i just buy a 2x12 and run both the amps and cabs speakers at once to make a 4x12? Also i hear the combo is biased hotter then the head? This affects the tone? Also can somebody explain the Pre, Post gain controls? I tried a 6505+ at GC a few days ago and i had far less gain then what i expected? Had pre all the way and post barely up. Was i doin it wrong? Though i will say it still sounded godly to me. Also i was lookin to maybe bid on this amp. What are you guys opinions on it? Condition, etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-2x12-Combo_W0QQitemZ160245046483QQihZ006QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again guys, sorry for the long post.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Okay first off you can't post ebay links on UG. Sorry to come off as an ass but yeah, wouldn't want you to get warned.
The warmer biasing would give it more gain I think but you'd want to change the stock speakers because they're junk. Everyone seems to agree on V30's or something of a similar nature for metal (I'm assuming you play metal since you're getting a 5150). The + has slighty less gain than the standard but it shouldn't be that noticeable... might have been a blown tube. If you get the amp that's great and I hope you enjoy it you lucky ducky.
The pre-gain is a gain control, and the post is basically a volume control. And yes, you can connect a cabinet to it.
ok i've owned one of these for a while so here goes:
Yes it has more gain then you'll ever need past 7 or 8 is overkill.
it does have a speaker out and you can play through the internal speakers and the cab at the same time.
I believe the head has adjustable bias and the combo's is fixed, so this varies. You can get some JJ 6l6 power amp tubes from eurotubes.com that will get the bias at the right level.
pre-gain is where most of your distortion comes from. Its the gain produced in the preamp.
post-gain is your volume that comes from the power amp.
so just think of it as: Pre=Gain Post=Volume.
Have fun with it, it's an amazing amp.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
From eurotubes:

"The 5150 combo and the Ultra combo are another story. For some reason PV got it right and although the combo amps are also fixed bias they are fixed MUCH warmer and I can supply you with power tubes that will get the bias between 38 to 42mA which is right where they belong with NO bias mod."
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
? Just bein inquisitive but why cant we post ebay links on UG? Ah who cares, thanks for the warnin. Ya i know the + has less but it really surprised me on how much less. I just dont wanna the 5150 and find out it has less gain, but im not really worried that much as it sounded really good. I basically know the answer but wanna make sure that this thing will be good enough for thrash/hardcore?
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
oh its plenty good for any kind of metal/hardcore.
believe me, the gain will be more than enough.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Honestly if you didn't even have the volume up to 1 thats probably why. It sounds sort of muffled and way too low until you get it to about 0.8-1.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Honeslty if your thinking about going with 4x12's just get the head version. Why pay more for some speakers you wont be using because there pretty much junk and also paying for half the wattage.

Also my personal prefrence (have heard this from alot of others as well) the head version kills the combo's. The gain sounds alot more brootal and clearer and the 120 watts helps things out alot. The main issue from what i heard is the transformers they use on the combos is a bit smaller so it effects there tone quite a bit. Also you really dont want to get power tube break up when your playing metal so the 120 watts is the way to go if your going to be playing nothing but metal and gigging. Even with my Ultra at bedroom/higher levels i still keep it at 120 watts it sounds completely different then when its set at 60 watts. 120 gives me enough headroom to keep things tight and none creamy which is what you want in metal.
Quote by yocomobebes
? Just bein inquisitive but why cant we post ebay links on UG?
I wanna make sure that this thing will be good enough for thrash/hardcore?

a) The ebay link ban is basically to eliminate spam posts like, "Want a great amp? Check out my auction!"

b)Yeah, the 5150 is THE go-to amp for dozens of hardcore and thrash bands. Now, there are better-sounding amps from Mesa, Bogner, VHT etc. But it's not because they have more gain, just a better tone. But you won't find any of those for less than twice the price of a 5150, which is the arguably the best metal tone you can get in the sub-$1000 range.

Also, as someone who has a good bit of experience with both the head and combo, I would have to disagree that the head sounds better. It depends on the application which is right for the player. If you need the headroom and the 2 cabinet jacks, then go for the head. If you prefer saturation at lower volumes and a more portable unit, the combo is the way to go (even though stock speakers should swapped) Of course, I like my tone tight and none creamy as well.
5150 Combo
LTD Viper 400 (EMG 81/85)
Last edited by stigma15 at May 28, 2008,