So I'm finally getting my *new* car.
It's been around the block, if you know what I mean, but it's stayed and been in my family forever. It's free, it's just:
All the speakers are blown, and the power amp and deck, pretty much everything is shot.
I know there are some car aficionados out there, so to whom it may concern, what would be my best attempt for a 100-200 dollar full car stereo? Preferably with CD and maybe an iPod line-in.
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Maybe at Best Buy they'll have something for under $250. Install it yourself though, the labor charges will kill you.
Yeah, I've no problem installing it myself. But last time I bought something from Best Buy, it didn't even have the disc in it, and their return policy prevented me from returning it.
Maybe as a last resort.
Quote by leeb rocks
Car audio is one thing you just have to spend money on. It's not cheap, Lord knows. You might be able to get a couple of speakers for 150, and a cheap deck for like 100, but you're looking at another 100 to install both of those. And unless you know what you're doing, I'd let them install it. You really have to tear up your car for that ****.
Any recommendations then?
Quote by leeb rocks
It really depends. What size are your speakers? Do you want to use an external amp? Are you planning on using a sub either now or eventually? You have a LOT of options, but you also have to take some time and intelligently plan your system if you want it to sound decent.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
It really depends. What size are your speakers? Do you want to use an external amp? Are you planning on using a sub either now or eventually? You have a LOT of options, but you also have to take some time and intelligently plan your system if you want it to sound decent.

I don't want to have to use an external amp, which also means probably a no-go on the sub. Speaker size is unknown, it's an odd shape.
Quote by leeb rocks
Ok...what year, make, and model is the car? If it's a really odd size, you might be limited by manufacturer, but if you're not going to have an amp, I'm already getting some ideas.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ok...what year, make, and model is the car?

1991 Toyota Tercel. Epic thanks for any upcoming help Mr. Gently.
Quote by leeb rocks
Alright, looks like your front door speakers are 4", and your rear speakers are 6.5". These are really common sizes. Since you don't want to go with an amp, go for speakers with a low RMS wattage rating - preferably 30 or less. RMS wattage is the maximum AVERAGE wattage the speaker wants to be fed. Most head units put out around 20 watts RMS per channel (ignore claims of 50x4 watts - that's a max power rating, which is meaningless; likewise, max wattage ratings in speakers are meaningless), so they're a relatively good match. If you get a speaker that's built to handle more power, you could damage it since you're not giving it what it wants. As far as speaker brands, take a look at Pioneer and Kenwood. You could also check out the Infinity 6022i and 4022i. They're built for a little more wattage, but are 2.65 ohms instead of 4 ohms, so they draw a little more power. Go to Best Buy and listen to a few different speakers. The ones they carry there, except for the new Alpine S and R series (they have REALLY high RMS ratings - 80-100 watts), will be good for you. Keep in mind, cheaper speakers will likely have more bass response, so if you're not running a sub, you might get better results with a Kenwood or Pioneer.

As far as head units, I think Alpine are the best quality, but Pioneer are the best bang for your buck. Alpines also offer direct control over iPods with the appropriate connector.

In regard to installation, car stereo stuff is generally easy, you just need patience.
Hi, I'm Peter
I think I love you. Thanks x !
Quote by leeb rocks
Another piece of advice: if you're a complete n00b to the car stereo thing, I highly recommend purchasing from Crutchfield. Reason being, when you go to the site, you enter the car, and can shop specifically for the sizes that fit. If you need any brackets for installation, they'll supply them to you, including the appropriate bracket and wiring harness for the stereo. They're not the cheapest, but they have top-notch customer service (actually, a lot of time the free installation equipment will equalize the cost of buying the equipment elsewhere). If you have ANY problems with the install, you can call them and they'll help you. If you need help deciding on something or a technical question, you can call them and they'll help you. Great staff. And I speak from personal experience.

www.crutchfield.com
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Another piece of advice: if you're a complete n00b to the car stereo thing, I highly recommend purchasing from Crutchfield. Reason being, when you go to the site, you enter the car, and can shop specifically for the sizes that fit. If you need any brackets for installation, they'll supply them to you, including the appropriate bracket and wiring harness for the stereo. They're not the cheapest, but they have top-notch customer service. If you have ANY problems with the install, you can call them and they'll help you. And I speak from personal experience.

I'm actually not that much of a noob to this stuff, but I don't have the car yet. The transmission fluid is being replaced. And fixed. So I've no idea what to expect with this car.
Quote by leeb rocks
When you're installing speakers, you should get a $3 bag of polyester pillow stuffing and put a few wads of it behind your speakers. It helps bass response immensely.
Hi, I'm Peter