I am about to get a new amp as an upgrade to my Fender 15G, and I play a lot of high gain things, but I am having a hard time sacrificing my clean sounds for it. I did some research and came up with a good idea: Get a good clean amp and get a really nice distortion pedal for it. So I looked and played on amps and I really enjoy the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and as for a distortion pedal, I fell in love with the EH Metal Muff.

Is it a good decision to do this? Or if I want high gain sounds will it be a better idea to get a high-gain amp?

Note: I don't play just metal, I play jazz, blues, ext. as well.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
There are high gains amps with good cleans. Try out the b-52 at112. A hot rod will not do metal, it just doesn't have the voicing, maybe if the preamp is bypassed and you had a good tube preamp to run through the power amp, but honestly why go through the trouble when there are high gain amps with good cleans.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
There are high gains amps with good cleans. Try out the b-52 at112.
I did try that out, but I have heard horror stories about their reliability. Plus, haven't they been discontinued?
-Bugera 333XL 212
If your being price concious, what you have stated is prefect. As a generic rule, amp head gain and distortion is the best you can get. However any amp head capaible of producing huge gain and crystal clear clean is uppwards of $2000. Like the Mesa Roadking, Marshall JVM, Framus Cobra, or Engl Special Edition.

You made the right decision
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
My high recommendation is to look at a Traynor YCV 50 Blue... great Marshall-esque British overdrive and a great Fender-esque clean sound... you will probably need an overdrive pedal to hit the BR00TALZ so if you're on a tight budget you can spring for a DigiTech Bad Monkey, or if you've got some money look at a Fulltone...

Don't put a distortion pedal with a tube amp... you want an OVERDRIVE with a tube amp... so def. check out the Traynor.

Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Quote by Ubershall404
If your being price concious, what you have stated is prefect. As a generic rule, amp head gain and distortion is the best you can get. However any amp head capaible of producing huge gain and crystal clear clean is uppwards of $2000. Like the Mesa Roadking, Marshall JVM, Framus Cobra, or Engl Special Edition.

Thanks, and do you think adding a chorus pedal might add a little girth to the distortion to help with the metal sounds?
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by musicofthenite
My high recommendation is to look at a Traynor YCV 50 Blue... great Marshall-esque British overdrive and a great Fender-esque clean sound... you will probably need an overdrive pedal to hit the BR00TALZ so if you're on a tight budget you can spring for a DigiTech Bad Monkey, or if you've got some money look at a Fulltone...

Don't put a distortion pedal with a tube amp... you want an OVERDRIVE with a tube amp... so def. check out the Traynor.

If you've got the money a mesa f-30 can do brootalz, not to mention I've dialed my clean channel to sound very fenderesque. I'm sure with more time I'll have a righteous clean tone dialed in.
Quote by Ubershall404

This statement is totally false, there are plenty of amps with good cleans and good OD under 1000 bucks.
Quote by musicofthenite

I hate to ask this very n00bish question, but what is the difference between overdrive and distortion? I know there is a difference but I have failed to have someone explain it to me in a language I can understand. Also, I have heard that the Metal Muff works quite well with tube amps. I could be wrong, however.
-Bugera 333XL 212
Overdrive is fully saturated tubes, distortion is a general term for clipping of a sound wave.
Quote by DDoug
I hate to ask this very n00bish question, but what is the difference between overdrive and distortion? I know there is a difference but I have failed to have someone explain it to me in a language I can understand. Also, I have heard that the Metal Muff works quite well with tube amps. I could be wrong, however.

Easy answer:
Distortion = pedal/solid state
Overdrive = pushing tubes hard (by turning up volume) causes the tubes to crackle and "break up" giving an "overdrive" sound, which is basically in layman's terms a tube harmonic type of distortion which sounds awesome

Muff would be alright, just the natural OD would sound better, that's all!

Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Quote by DDoug

distortion just does that. it distorts your sound to produce gain. an overdrive on the other hand, will give your signal a boost and help push your amp farther towards it's clipping point to produce a much better sounding distortion/overdrive. also, tonewise, the overdrive sounds much better as long as it's put through a tube amp.