Page 1 of 2
...but that have a smoother tip (note: not duller, just smoother)? I find that I play more efficiently with my Jazz III's after I've worn in the tip of the pick from 5-6 days of playing. The fresh tips on new ones just seem to be pretty vulnerable to getting caught on the strings, a slight hindrance to my overall accuracy and speed.

I used to use Dunlop Tortexes, but decided they weren't thick or sharp enough.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 27, 2008,
Check out the Jazz II's they may be what your looking for
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
I know what you mean. I made a pick out of a quarter that was stenciled from a Jazz III. Then I sharpened the edge and made i sort of taper to an edge so the string slides right along it. Hard to explain, but it feels a lot better.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Try some Ultex Jazz IIIs. They're a very hard, smooth plastic, and they have the same shape as the regulars. I've also found they have a bit clearer tone, though I still prefer the black stiffos.
You could make your own. Just take the Jazz III and trace it on whatever your going to use as the pick and wear away the edge. I make ALL of my picks out of CDs... Scratch a little off the side, get a big ass roll of tape, and peel the data foil off. Sand it, smooth it (fast friction on fabric, like a sock (melts it, making it smooth)). Then take a knife or something to cut it (depending on the material, knife for CD) and cut the edge (the part between the top and side) so it makes a transition into the tip. Then the strings really have nothing to get caught on anymore.

Edit: WARNING: The CD picks break every 2 - 3 weeks but they aren't very hard or take very long to make anyway.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
I see. First picks made out of quarters and now cds? Haha funny. To both Generalpwnt and Slash546, how do those things sound just out of curiosity?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered some of those ultexes as they sound really awesome and some people with similar problems as mine have commented saying they like these picks better.
just get some sandpaper and sand the tip of the new picks
I'm the one who has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to.
-Jimi Hendrix
try the eric johnson jazz 3's, they might be what you're looking for
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Question about Jazz IIIs - Is there a difference between a regular Jazz III and a Stiffo Jazz III? I mean, are all the black Jazz III's considered "Stiffo's" or are there regular blacks and stiffo blacks?

Thanks.
Speaking of odd picks, I watched a video one time where some guy from Bulgaria (who could play like mad, mind you) used only picks he made--and they were made out of credit cards or hotel keys. It was just a square cut out of a card. If I ever find some random credit card/hotel key, I'm so doing that to try it

But on topic...every store I've been to has been out of the Ultex Jazz III's, and they received a ton of praise from the people who got samples, so I'm thinking you'll be happy with it.
Quote by Serendipity
Speaking of odd picks, I watched a video one time where some guy from Bulgaria (who could play like mad, mind you) used only picks he made--and they were made out of credit cards or hotel keys. It was just a square cut out of a card. If I ever find some random credit card/hotel key, I'm so doing that to try it

I think that was in the Pick video that Rob Chapman posted here a few weeks ago.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
try any of the following maybe:

eric johnson jazz III
ultex jazz III (dont like these myself, too soft sounding)
dunlop sharpies
Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks (havnt used them myself but they look suitable)
theres also some dunlop jazz picks that are thinner and smoother but fairly sharp, forgot their exact name tho
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think that was in the Pick video that Rob Chapman posted here a few weeks ago.

It was. I just didn't say it because I lost the link Anywho, as the guy above me suggested, I was also going to say try some Paul Gilbert signature picks. They look similar to Jazz III's, but they look like they actually have a sharper point haha. The man's a picking legend, though, so I wouldn't doubt his pick choice
the paul gilbert sig picks are very nice. i used to have one till someone stole it :/ only problem was mine wore down quickly.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
Quote by fixationdarknes
I see. First picks made out of quarters and now cds? Haha funny. To both Generalpwnt and Slash546, how do those things sound just out of curiosity?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've ordered some of those ultexes as they sound really awesome and some people with similar problems as mine have commented saying they like these picks better.

They look like this

And sounds like this: Clicky

Please excuse my ****ty playing, amp, and camera quality. That actually played clean so just imagine the sound a bit cleaner.

Edit: New sound file, much cleaner. Recorded with Audacity and much better website also.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Last edited by Slash546 at May 28, 2008,
Jazz I's seem right up your alley
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
What are Stubby's made out of? They look strange, yet intriguing.

Slash - Other than the fact that one of the strings sounded out-of-tune, that actually sounded really nice. Very full and warm tone.
That's hood to hear; I hope I like it better.

So, people, I've ordered these picks and will be trying them all out against each other within a week:

-Dunlop Ultex Jazz III
-Dunlop Stubby 2.0
-Dunlop "Eric Johnson" Jazz III
-Ibanez "Paul Gilbert"

Can you think of any other picks I might want to try based on my descriptions of what I wanted? I guess I could give the Jazz I and II a try also, but they just don't seem sharp enough =/
Stubby's aren't bad at all... the ones I have are big as hell but they have this dip thing in the middle with like a rough part for grip. Not exactly the most flexible thing ever though. I only have 1 left because I lost all the others... Pics coming, sound clip if you ask.

Sound Clip: Ask for one. Nothing too hard either, I'm not that great...

Edit: The one in the picture is a Jim Dunlop Big Stubby 3.0 mm
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
If you want the jazz shape with a smoother tip, get the 2.0mm or 3.0mm stubby(small jazz shaped)
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
Quote by fixationdarknes
Sure I'd like a sound clip. That 3.0 looks fat! Haha, are the ends/points sharp enough you think?

Of Under the Bridge again? (Thats what it was with the CD pick) or something different? Again, nothing too hard. Actually heres Californication (with Free Bird intro for chords... or the best I know of it)

Clicky
Clicky #2 (Under the Bridge) for comparison to the CD picks.

As for the tip, its like a pick had a razor sharp point and then somebody BARELY cut the tip off so it won't cut anything then its rounded out.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Last edited by Slash546 at May 28, 2008,
Quote by fixationdarknes
That's hood to hear; I hope I like it better.

So, people, I've ordered these picks and will be trying them all out against each other within a week:

-Dunlop Ultex Jazz III
-Dunlop Stubby 2.0
-Dunlop "Eric Johnson" Jazz III
-Ibanez "Paul Gilbert"

Can you think of any other picks I might want to try based on my descriptions of what I wanted? I guess I could give the Jazz I and II a try also, but they just don't seem sharp enough =/

youre going to love that ultex one!
man i love mine
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Slash - Gee, thanks a lot for doing all this for me. I appreciate the sound clips. The Stubby actually had a bit less of a defined sound than I would have wanted, but I already ordered some so I will try them out soon.

Ismail - Haha sweet I'm glad to hear others like it. Can't wait to get it!
No problem. The only other picks that I have are the ones that my cheap Epiphone (starter pack) came with and those are cheap. They were the only ones that were made by a company that ever broke. I also got a pick from Rock N' Roller Coaster (in Walt Disney World) and these picks that look like they are abalone that have the Aerosmith logo on them (also from Walt Disney World, not sure where though, never saw them at Rock N' Roller Coaster).
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Awesome! I just wanted to let you guys know that I received my Ultex Jazz III's and they were exactly what I was looking for. First of all, the pick has so much grip on it that it's HARD to have it unwantingly slide around or get dropped. Secondly, the pick is just as sharp as the standard Jazz III's, but MUCH more smoothly cut around the tip. So my pick glides right over the strings now, rather than getting caught on the weirdly-cut edges of the red and black Jazz III's. And not to mention how tough the material is. I can tell it will not wear out for a while. Awesome, because I hate having to buy new picks

Thanks for recommending them; I will never go back.

P.S. the only drawback is that they are made of a semi-clear material, so it is SO easy to lose them! As if picks don't already magically disappear from every guitarist...
Last edited by fixationdarknes at May 31, 2008,
Quote by fixationdarknes

I get a bright-ish tone out of my quarter Jazz III. It's much more articulate and adds a little bit more shimmer to my notes. Try it, you'll love it if you do a good job at making it. The edge is very sharp for a pick; almost like a dull knife edge. I can cut paper with the thing.

Edit: I can do a recording too if you want, comparing the two.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Page 1 of 2