Linux
11 10%
Mac
44 38%
Windows
60 52%
Voters: 115.
Page 1 of 4
I am not trying to see what is best I just wanna see what you people prefer to use or like to use!
Mac OS X, it combines the framework of *nix with an excellent GUI.

Linux is second. They have some pretty decent windows managers, but support and integration of all the pieces you want can sometimes be a pain.

-SD
Quote by Fishyesque
It's OSX, not Mac.

Bahahahahaha

Oh sorry I never used that before
It's ok. Both Windows and Linux are operating systems, but a Mac is the machine, OSX is the operating system. Or you could say the Mac OS.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
I use both Widows and Linux (Windows for audio and general use, Linux for coding and network stuff)

OSX is probably the least powerful OS out there in terms of everything except for graphic design, animation and film editing, and it's about equal with windows in terms of audio, so really buying a Mac isn't worth the money, unless you are a dumbass and can't figure out how to use Windows or Linux
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Fishyesque
It's ok. Both Windows and Linux are operating systems, but a Mac is the machine, OSX is the operating system. Or you could say the Mac OS.

Which could theoretically be shortened to Mac.

Your panties, unravel them.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
so really buying a Mac isn't worth the money, unless you are a dumbass and can't figure out how to use Windows or Linux

Macs can run Windows.
Quote by Fishyesque
Macs can run Windows.

yeah but Windows PCs can run Windows at the same specs for half the price.

Last.fm
I don't think I have a real preference right now.

I'm about to set up a tri-boot in a week or two consisting of all 3 OS's. I think they're all cool and have their own good and bad features and I want to ticker with all of them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah but Windows PCs can run Windows at the same specs for half the price.

I'm not even going to bother.
'someone' being anyone not on these forums.
im a sucker for the searchbar OS
but Mac OSX
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by Fishyesque
I'm not even going to bother.

you think I'm kidding? I just built a PC running at 3 GHz with 2 GB of RAM and a 300 gb Hard drive for about $1,100, the Mac Pro has similar specs and costs $2,700

fanboyism is bad for your wallet.

Last.fm
I'm not an Apple fanboy. If I was, I'd probably own a Mac.

And you paid $1,100 for those specs? You could have gotten that for a lot cheaper.
Quote by Fishyesque
I'm not an Apple fanboy. If I was, I'd probably own a Mac.

And you paid $1,100 for those specs? You could have gotten that for a lot cheaper.

actually yeah I was just looking at the total I had written down, which includes the monitor and an audio interface it actually was around $800 including a new XP pro disc.

Last.fm
who said windows were superior for audio? Id like to shoot them. You do know that nowadays around 90% Of digital recording studios are either running Logic Pro (an apple program for OSX) or ProTools on a Mac computer.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by lolcats
Vista.

/sarcasm.

Vista is actually the best Windows OS that I've used. And I've gone, from what I can remember, Windows 95 all the way up till Vista. But a confounding factor of that may be that I'm more computer oriented now and know what I'm doing. But given that, I prefer Vista over XP.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Vista is actually the best Windows OS that I've used. And I've gone, from what I can remember, Windows 95 all the way up till Vista.

I'm sorry.

-SD
Quote by Xiaoxi
Vista is actually the best Windows OS that I've used. And I've gone, from what I can remember, Windows 95 all the way up till Vista. But a confounding factor of that may be that I'm more computer oriented now and know what I'm doing. But given that, I prefer Vista over XP.

Other way round for me I'm afraid. Vista is windows trying to be mac. And I prefer Mac. Not to mention all the people paying to upgrade to XP from Vista disagreeing with you.
Quote by SilentDeftone
I'm sorry.

-SD

Of course, the usual high-horse response from mac fanboys.

Quote by lolcats
Other way round for me I'm afraid. Vista is windows trying to be mac. And I prefer Mac. Not to mention all the people paying to upgrade to XP from Vista disagreeing with you.

I really don't see how it's trying to be OSX.

And "other people" is pretty vague. They could be idiots, or have crappy specs, or both. Since I know what I'm doing, I've had no problems with Vista on my computer.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
OSX is probably the least powerful OS out there in terms of everything except for graphic design, animation and film editing, and it's about equal with windows in terms of audio, so really buying a Mac isn't worth the money, unless you are a dumbass and can't figure out how to use Windows or Linux

This.

I love you. I can get more than triple the speed and processing power in a PC for half the price of what it would cost to get a decent mac.

Macs are trendy for college kids. Some people may have use for the graphic design features, but if you have half of an IQ about computers, Windows wins.
Quote by druz15_UG
who said windows were superior for audio? Id like to shoot them. You do know that nowadays around 90% Of digital recording studios are either running Logic Pro (an apple program for OSX) or ProTools on a Mac computer.

Protools being used on a Mac has nothing to do with the Mac you twat.

Anyway, Vista is a pretty good OS if you have a strong PC and a lukewarm IQ.
Quote by Xiaoxi

And "other people" is pretty vague. They could be idiots, or have crappy specs, or both. Since I know what I'm doing, I've had no problems with Vista on my computer.

Google 'vista problem' and then google 'XP Problem'.
Never used a Mac before, so I'd have to chose Linux over Windows. Linux is a pain in the ass to learn, but one you get it, it's pretty good. Windows has it's advantages but I find it likes to overthink EVERYTHING and lock up for no reason.
Quote by Gordita Supreme

Macs are trendy for college kids.

Haha, definitely. When I was in Boston last time, I walked into a cafe, and it was filled with nothing but college kids on MacBooks.

Unfortunately for me, I'm going to FORCED to buy a Macbook because of Berklee's "mandatory laptop" bullshit. It costs $3,000.

Quote by lolcats
Google 'vista problem' and then google 'XP Problem'.

Okay...?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by lolcats
^edit! edit! Fix the bold before anyone else catches it!

*sits back and does nothing*

Edit: *sips on some soda*

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Can we not call people fanboys here?

And to the bolded part.

Quote by Xiaoxi

Unfortunately for me, I'm going to FORCED to buy a Macbook because of Berklee's "mandatory laptop" bullshit. It costs $3,000.

Where on earth do you live? Macbooks don't cost that much.
Mac

and fishy, i think Berklee loads the macs with all the software and such they need for their classes
Quote by Xiaoxi
Haha, definitely. When I was in Boston last time, I walked into a cafe, and it was filled with nothing but college kids on MacBooks.

Okay...?

Its directly related to the amount of pseudo-artists in college. The ones who lounge in cafes and don't actually do anything important but like to chat online and have a cute white laptop with miserable processing power.
Quote by Fishyesque
Where on earth do you live? Macbooks don't cost that much.

If you want a mac to run as well as a $750 PC, then yes you have to pay that much.
Page 1 of 4