anyone know of good custom made bass companys that havve decent prices?

im kinda looking for a bass in a 1000-1500 price range

if i dont find anything im just gonna go for a Fender American Standard 5 String Jazz
1, most "custom bass companies" consist of one person.
2, most of their prices will be dealt with based virtually solely on what you're building, not the fact that you're building it.
3, most good luthiers really don't ship, as they really don't have the time to maintain some sort of business profile.

as such, I really doubt you're actually going to build a custom. if you do, best of luck.
if you have a 1000-1500 price range, why the Standard 5 string jazz?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
1, most "custom bass companies" consist of one person.
2, most of their prices will be dealt with based virtually solely on what you're building, not the fact that you're building it.
3, most good luthiers really don't ship, as they really don't have the time to maintain some sort of business profile.

as such, I really doubt you're actually going to build a custom. if you do, best of luck.
if you have a 1000-1500 price range, why the Standard 5 string jazz?

because its 1300 and i played it and liked it haha
and i saw a guy who had a custom but i forgot what the company was

i know theyre in Socal somewhere...
it was like

carvin or something that had a C in it haha
once again. if they're going by a company name, you're probably getting 'custom shop' and not a tide and true custom.

have you played anything else in the 1000-1500 price range?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
im in Socal

and i didnt play any other 5 strings but i played with a stingray for a few minutes
i dont know for sure yet

im just trying to get a better idea
Dan is right. The lowest I've seen "custom shop" basses is in the 1500 USD range, such as Renaissance's (Rick Turner) Basses entry level, no frills models or Glen Letsch's Pipemaster's which go into the 2600 USD range and above. These are basses that are made in small runs or quantities, not true "customs"

True customs you are looking at the minimum of 5000 USD. That's what something like a basic Carl Thompson will cost you these days, if he accepts your order and then you best be prepared to wait over 2 years for him to build your bass.
BUILD YOUR OWN! =D

http://www.warmoth.com sells a bunch of bass parts. Everything you need. You set the price. Give them a once-over, see if you like what they've got.

Play any bass you can find in the price range. See which ones you like, and go with whichever one you decide is better for whatever reason. It's sort of hard to pay that much for a bass and not enjoy it. It's all personal preference.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
Some of you guys don't know what you're talking about. Just contact these guys:

www.robwave.com

www.myspace.com/robwave

It's two guys that are right down the street from me. Check out my custom electric they built, it's pure sweetness, and it wasn't a small batch, they only made one:

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/custom.jpg

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters.com/guitar/back.jpg

They'll ship, it's more than one guy, you don't have to wait 2 years, and unless you just want "the best" of everything, it ain't going to cost 5 grand. Just depends on what you want really, they've made multiple $6,200 basses before.
Last edited by corndogggy at May 28, 2008,
My friend claims to know a luthier right here in SoCal that builds many customs. I'll ask him. until then, I'd try to work with the guys from Kentucky.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
find a luthier or make your own
i heard is not that hard
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Warmoth.com they will put it together for you, or buy the parts and put it together yourself.
I know Musicman will set up anyone of their models to personal taste if you go look on their site. I think that's around the $1500 mark

I would really like to get some stuff from that Warmoth site, I would love to make myself a decent SG or Explorer bass, but the shipping the UK will cost alot
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at May 29, 2008,
Quote by litus
find a luthier or make your own
i heard is not that hard

It's not hard if you would settle for a turd. Biggest thing is the neck. You have to know what to look for in the wood, have the tools to make under the fretboard flat, the jig to get the frets in the right position, the experience to make a compound angle on the back of the neck, etc. Unless you have a CNC machine, you have to use a sander to make the neck shape, and I can guarantee that it's going to take forever, burning through lots of junk necks until you get that right. A neck-through design like mine just makes it 10 times worse. They claim that they spent nearly 150 hours on mine. Most of them take about 40 hours, and they're pretty efficient at it.
Yeah, if you want anything custom, think about what you want and if you can find that within another production bass. Yeah its cool having something custom...buts it mad expensive. And its gunna take some time, about 4 months ON AVERAGE! So ya, my recommendation is to buy something, then buy a really cheap project guitar and do it yourself.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Used Mike Lull's go for around $1500-$2000. Some LeCompte's start around the $1800 mark but are going to cost more after you customize your order. Valenti's can go for as little as $1500 brand new but that's for a basic model. Those would probably be some of your cheapest options but even they are out of your price range.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I'm not sure what you meant when you were asking for Custom?

I was thinking of stuff like Carvin. Companies that already have models and parts, you just chose the specific details that you want. If thats what you're wanting, you can definitely find something for less than $2,000. I've been playing around with Carvins and a lot of their stuff is $1200-1500, but it really depends on what you want. Most companies do have a Custom shop.

I've seen some really nice stuff come from LTD and Fender.
Quote by anarkee

True customs you are looking at the minimum of 5000 USD. That's what something like a basic Carl Thompson will cost you these days, if he accepts your order and then you best be prepared to wait over 2 years for him to build your bass.

Yes i recently informed with CT and he is taking orders but unknown for how long as he is getting older. It is also unsure whether they be continued by his staff or that it stops there. The cheapest CT is 4,500USD so you will easily reach the 5k if you want something special like a kahler tremolo bridge. He does ship around the world.

In your range i think you end up in something like a fender custom shop where you for example can fit a P bass neck on a Jazz bass.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
You can get a new Valenti for $1500 if you don't want anything flash.
Quote by BubbaBassGuitar
im in Socal

and i didnt play any other 5 strings but i played with a stingray for a few minutes
i dont know for sure yet

im just trying to get a better idea

http://www.watsonguitars.net/index_1.htm
My friend would probably be happy to build a bass for you. It's a mom and pop shop in Idlewild. They're really nice people. Don't worry if the basses on his site sell for a bit more. I'm sure he can figure something out for you.
Last edited by qstionauthority at Jun 1, 2008,
There are a ton of custom makers that will make a one of a kind bass for well under $5000. Look at nordstrand, they are my personal favorite. Also dp customs is
probabaly the cheapest custom maker.
Wheres do you live? See Mayones guitars and basses
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?