Firstly, let me make it very clear... I'm 15, not very experienced, I've played guitar about 10 months now. I never have played a live show (played in front of people, but it wasn't like a gig. It was just me showing off some riffs from songs I'd learned) and... I want to get my band in gear, and go play some shows. Even if it's just small time, ameutuer acts.

Here's my situation:

About 7 months ago, my church decided to start a small Christian Rock band. Personally, I'm not so keen on Christian Rock... From my perspective, Christian is just watered down alternative with no solos, and alot more crying afterwords. But... I was really new to guitar, so I thought "Ah, what the hell. I could use some band experience, and practicing with some other people doesn't sound to bad either."

Well... 3 months later, we had a setlist for a competition/talent show like thing we were entering, but had only practiced once... That's when it died. No one ever showed up again, the youth pastor quit, etc. But, I got with the drummer and bassist (who also weren't so keen on Christian Rock) and we decided we would do our own thing. So, we started to play on Sundays in the church from 5pm til 6pm, at which point the church started and we were run offstage by old people wishing to listen to what the preacher had to say.

Well, then... I got a longer, more stable window of time for us to play in the church. For some reason, whenever they needed to do small things to the stage (move chairs around, move microphones around, etc.) they wouldn't allow us to play in there. And, we had to play there, since the drummer doesn't have his own drumset or equipment. (He learned to play in the school band.) Well, the bassist sucked, and that really didn't bother me since I sucked also. Just... Not as bad as him.

About 6 weeks after that, the bassist just stops showing up. Turns out, he's sitting in front of his computer on myspace for 4 hours at time, rather than coming and practicing songs with us. Needless to say, he got booted. I mean... That's just sad, come on. Then, I posted a small ad in a local music shop, which got us the guitarist/keyboard tinkerer we have now. He's cool, and pretty dedicated.

I'm pretty good friends with the guys in my band right now. Really, we get along great... There's no fighting or drama within our little 3-man band (me, a second guitarist, and the drummer). Sadly, no music is getting written either... It seems like we have enough skill amongst us all to play alright music... Nothing ground-breaking, or spectacular and certainly nothing shred... The only problem is, it's almost as if we can't write. I mean, the other guitarist has a keyboard that he tinkers around with and he designs some cool stuff... But then, if I say "Whoa, that's pretty sweet. Wanna write some more with that material?" He'll say something along the lines of "Sure, whatever... Doesn't matter to me."

It's like the other guys need some motivation, or something. We had practice about... 4 and a half hours ago, as of this message. Drummer didn't show up at all, and I couldn't get his cell phone. He's has 4 phone number (2 cells, 1 home phone, and his mom's cell) none of which, work. All lead to an automated "This line has been disconnected" answering machine. So, I really didn't appreciate that.

We've got sufficient skill to create some decent beginner songs, stuff you would expect to see from a band just starting out. All we really need a few well laid out songs with sweet riffs. Which we could do... If only these guys would actually write with me instead of randomly jamming.

How do I get my band out of this rut? How do I get them motivated? I can't exactly just replace everybody, seeing as the music shop ad only brought in 1 guy last time, and I don't know anyone else who plays. Not to mention, they're pretty cool guys and we got along great. Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinion? Tips? Pointers? Please? Help?
your life story saddens me...

**** happens my friend. not everyone wants to play music as bad as the guy next to him. all you can do is just work with what you have.

after i started guitar, my best friend became interested in bass and i pretty much teach him as i go along.
we met a jazz drummer who had toured north america in a drum corp. he was damn good but he was a Mormon and i guess it's a Mormon thing to give up your possessions, so he quit drumming and joined the marines
he introduced us to another drummer who we played with for about six months before he joined the military too.
my friend took a break from bass and i met a dude who liked singing and we played in coffee houses for a few months before he quit.
theres like two bands that i jam with from time to time, and i always jam with other guitar players at like bonfires or at my house.
and another one of my friends is taking a crack at rapping. and hes not that bad either.. so who knows.

just find other dudes that play instruments.. i bet theres more dudes that play guitar or drums that go to church
Do you guys have any songs practiced?

It sounds like you've had one practices and a few sessions where you all fooled around on your instruments.

My advice is to have the band learn a few covers first so you guys get moving and working. Then work on originals.

You can also work on writing by yourself. There's no rule that says all band members must write. Generally a band will only have one or two songwriters. Plus, it sounds like you're the only one who's really interested in writing.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
Do you guys have any songs practiced?

It sounds like you've had one practices and a few sessions where you all fooled around on your instruments.

My advice is to have the band learn a few covers first so you guys get moving and working. Then work on originals.

You can also work on writing by yourself. There's no rule that says all band members must write. Generally a band will only have one or two songwriters. Plus, it sounds like you're the only one who's really interested in writing.

toally agree, get everyone to learn jet - areyou gonna be my girl its a good song ans REALLY FUN to play i suggrest you learn this and some other covers to brake the ice and slowly develop ur own ideas.
Baba... You ma'am, are pretty much dead on with your assessment. We have tried a few easy songs (Before I Forget - Slipknot, Remedy - Seether). Nothing overly complex IMO, but... No one seems interested in those. I was the one who decided the covers, since their standard reply held true ("Whatever.") and... I asked them to practice, and no one did. I worked on learning the leads to both songs, since the other guy isn't competent enough too.
Last edited by CraZyB0y at May 29, 2008,
^Thank you thederockednun and CraZyB0y. But it's miss not sir.

and was your band not interested in those songs because they don't like that style of music? Or was it because they were lazy? It sounds like they're not committed. I say pick another song, preferably one you all like, and get working on it. If your band is still doesn't work on it, replace them. There's no point wasting your time with people who aren't committed.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Well... I'm sorta a Nu Metal guy )Slipknot, Korn, etc.) But I like Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Disturbed, and stuff like that as well. The other guitarist guy is more into Death and Black, he worships Behemoth... The drummer really likes mostly Alternative, and Rock. So... What would you people suggest as some different songs to try?

Also, sorry bout that miss Baba.
Quote by pepsi1187
ask THEM what they want to play. ya dig

I did man... They said, and I quote:

Guitarist: "I don't know, man. I'm not really a picky guy, I'll play just about anything."
Me: "Well... Could you be more specific? Any certain songs?"
Guitarist: "Whatever you guys want is good with me."
Drummer: "Yeah, I'm not too picky either, I'll play anything."

Then in that case, you need to pick some songs that you know they will definately like, but it would be much better if you had some sort of input from the rest of the band.
To me, it sounds like they haven't got a clue as to what direction they want to take the band in and are happy to just go along with whatever everyone else wants, but if everyone else doesn't have a clue either, then it's kinda like the blind leading the blind.

Bands generaly work best when they are run as a democracy but with one person in charge who acts kinda like a main motivator, that would be you I suppose.
You have definately got some things absolutely right, you all get along greatly, which is practicaly the most important thing in any band, but what you really need to do now is to hammer out an objective.
After each practice, set aside an hour for you all to sit and talk about the band and what you all wish to do with it.
If they give you the same 'Oh I'll just go along with everyone else.' routine, lay the law down. Tell them that just doesn't cut it and unless people stop pussy footing around and start coming out with some opinions, then the band will remain directionless.
Ask them what they imagine themselves doing when they dream of being onstage. If they are honest with you, this should give you some sort of a clue as to what direction they actualy want the band to go in, (and it also gives you the opportunity to come out with a line like 'OK, let's make some dreams come true!' which, cheesy as it sounds, is still very motivational )

At these meetings, you should all have an equal say on what you want to do. (unless you're running a dictatorship)
Obviously not everyone is going to want to do the exact same things but by voting and a bit of give and take, it should be possible to come up with a compromise between all of you.
Once you have that compromise, write it down. This is now your 'objective'
The rehearsals should now follow the objective, but the objective should be flexible and subject to change during band meetings. (in other words, if you all agree to try a song, then realise while you're rehearsing it that it sucks or it's just not the right song for you guys, then you can all vote on it at the next meeting, which should be right after the rehearsal, and agree to drop it, but this will only work if someone is willing to say out loud 'This sucks!' and if everyone is willing to agree that it sucks)
Thanks Slacker, I'll give that a shot... Honestly, we don't have time after each practice for a meeting, but... I'll work something out. Eh, another question... Can you help me pick some, more or less, beginner songs based on the genres I already laid down? (Nu Metal, Metal, Black, Death Metal, Heavy Metal.)
Quote by CraZyB0y
Thanks Slacker, I'll give that a shot... Honestly, we don't have time after each practice for a meeting, but... I'll work something out.

That's unfortunate because straight after a rehearsal is the best time, while everything is still fresh in everyone's mind, but really any time will do.

Quote by CraZyB0y

Eh, another question... Can you help me pick some, more or less, beginner songs based on the genres I already laid down? (Nu Metal, Metal, Black, Death Metal, Heavy Metal.)

To be honest, I wouldn't know the first thing about half of those genres, I'm 41 for cryin' out loud, all I know about is pre 90s rock.
We have bands of all those genres supporting us occasionaly and even though I sit and listen to them, and more often than not enjoy them, I really haven't a clue exactly what it is I'm listening to.
I'd simply advise you to pick some of your favourite songs, put 'em on the CD player, play along with 'em and the easiest ones to jam along with will probably be the best beginner songs.

I do know that you can't go wrong with a bit of Black Sabbath though.
Ah, that's cool. Thanks alot Slacker, I'm sure this will help quite a bit. Finally get this turned around...

Truthfully, last practice (if you can call it that... More like a jam session with bits, pieces and choruses of a bunch of songs just strung in together with some written material and noob improv.) Anyway, last practice was the most unenjoyable 2 hours holding a guitar I've ever experienced.

Granted, I've had worse experiences listening before (this chick drug me to a Drake Bell concert... That's right, laugh away...) but... Really, getting together with my rag-tag band and playing... It's really become unenjoyable, since it finally caught up with me that we were accomplishing NOTHING. So... Thanks alot man.

Song suggestions anyone?
Quote by CraZyB0y
I did man... They said, and I quote:

Guitarist: "I don't know, man. I'm not really a picky guy, I'll play just about anything."
Me: "Well... Could you be more specific? Any certain songs?"
Guitarist: "Whatever you guys want is good with me."
Drummer: "Yeah, I'm not too picky either, I'll play anything."

they: "say i dont care" just pick a song you KNOW they wont like and eventually they will say: look this sucks and you'll have the chance to say: okay thenyou pick something, in the end youll get wat u want, also it wud help to add a new member who is motivated and you 2 can build up the bands motivation.

EDIT: i think somewere here there use to be a thread about wat u like most in gigs, show it to them, they might change their mind when they see this achivable goal.
Right, I could do that... I'll probably look into that thread.

But still... Does no one have any song suggestions AT ALL?
Quote by CraZyB0y
Right, I could do that... I'll probably look into that thread.

But still... Does no one have any song suggestions AT ALL?

Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard
Purple Haze - Hendrix
Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction
Lazy Generation - The F-Ups
Living After Midnight - Judas Priest
Rock and Roll All Night - KISS
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

A few off the top of my head which would be good for a 3-piece. It's pretty much a pure rock/alternative selection though.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Now, will eveeryone else put forth songs as well?