I'm still new to guitar and I plan on changing my strings at the end of the week... my Ibanez RGT42FX came with .9 gauge strings and I just bought some GHS Boomers that are .10 gauging. My question is, was the RGT42FX specifically made for .9 strings or can I use the .10 Boomers without any problems?
Last edited by TexasRG at May 28, 2008,
Not an expert on the topic of strings, but I'm pretty sure that your axe can handle the .10. Then again, I had some of Zakk signature strings and there were honestly a pain in the ass on my Epiphone Goth Les Paul. So who knows. Does the guitar NEED new strings or are you just looking for a little deeper tone?
...the guitar isnt made for the strings the strings are made for the guitar...no guitar is specifically made for a set of strings...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
After about a month of playing a good 5 hours a day I figure its probably about time for a change, I am also putting on some pickup covers this week so that gives me another excuse to change the strings.
Quote by TexasRG
After about a month of playing a good 5 hours a day I figure its probably about time for a change, I am also putting on some pickup covers this week so that gives me another excuse to change the strings.

What guitar do you have?
the ibanex yes? which i beleive has a small neck? in which case if you go up a gauge of string like that, you are likely to have to adjust the truss rod. If the neck is thick enough though, one gauge should be fine.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by TexasRG
Ibanez RGT42FX:
More info: RGT42FX

Nice axe man, yeah, go ahead and change the strings, don't worry about it, Ibanez are common metal guitars. Metal guitar=Deeper tones, deeper tones=Thicker strings.
Quote by SlayerofReality
Nice axe man, yeah, go ahead and change the strings, don't worry about it, Ibanez are common metal guitars. Metal guitar=Deeper tones, deeper tones=Thicker strings.

with a thinner neck like that you're likely to get intonation issues or buzzing frets if you up the gauge too much. give it a try if you want, one gauge might be alright. But you might need a truss rod adjustment. It's a matter of physics, not of what kind of music the guitar is made for.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
+3.141592

Quote by imgooley
It was such a good suggestion you gave him pi?

yeah, he gave me pi.
Quote by SlayerofReality
Not an expert on the topic of strings, but I'm pretty sure that your axe can handle the .10. Then again, I had some of Zakk signature strings and there were honestly a pain in the ass on my Epiphone Goth Les Paul. So who knows. Does the guitar NEED new strings or are you just looking for a little deeper tone?

You have to remember the Zakk Wylde strings have a really heavy E string, it's 60 gauge or something, that's a huge string for a guitar.

You may need to adjust your truss rod, I found my Ibanez needed adjustments when I put heavier strings on it, partly because it has such a thin neck, other than that, just the usual intonation adjustments.

Nice guitar!
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Quote by Perturabo
You have to remember the Zakk Wylde strings have a really heavy E string, it's 60 gauge or something, that's a huge string for a guitar.

You may need to adjust your truss rod, I found my Ibanez needed adjustments when I put heavier strings on it, partly because it has such a thin neck, other than that, just the usual intonation adjustments.

Nice guitar!

That was like a year ago with the Zakk strings, it's all good now.
Quote by SlayerofReality
That was like a year ago with the Zakk strings, it's all good now.

First sentence was about your strings Slayer, everything after that was for the Threadstarter. sorry for the confusion.

Quote by GuitarUltimate?
with a thinner neck like that you're likely to get intonation issues or buzzing frets if you up the gauge too much. give it a try if you want, one gauge might be alright. But you might need a truss rod adjustment. It's a matter of physics, not of what kind of music the guitar is made for.

Wouldn't heavier strings raise the action rather than creating fret buzzing? Increased string tension leading to increased neck curve?
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
Thanks for all the information everyone... I think I'm going to exchange them tomorrow for the .9 strings just to be on the safe side.
Daron Malakian plays an Ibanez Iceman with big ass gauge strings and doesn't seem to have a problem. Don't worry about changing the strings to a slightly heavier gauge. Going from .09 to .10 is no big deal.
You're going to find larger variations in gauge with the 4th string thru the 6th string that will make a bigger difference in things like buzzing (which can usually be adjusted for) or whatever. I don't know what gauge the 4th thru 6th string are with those Boomers but I'm sure your 6th string is somewhere from .46 to .52 gauge, no big deal, trust the people who are telling you its no big deal. It's easy stuff, and don't worry about it so much.
All guitars can handle all the gauges or strings meant for guitars. The low E on my SG is a .42, but I use to have an Epiphone SG that had a .50 gauge string for the low E. The only thing that you have to account for is that thicker strings = more tension in the same tuning, so a truss rod adjustment might be in order in a change of gauge. Most drastically, the nut might have to be recut, or even replaced if the difference in string gauges is very extreme, say, going from .09's to .13's. The string slots on the nut would have to be widened so the strings fit in them, and inversely, going from (for example) .13's to .09's would mean the string slots were too wide, causing unwanted sideways movement and noise, so the nut would have to be replaced for one that has smaller slots cut in it.

However, this is slightly more information than you need. Suffice it to say, your guitar should be fine, but after you change the strings, see if the neck is bowed, (most likely, if it is, the middle of the neck will look higher) and if it is, then tighten the truss rod NO MORE THAN AN EIGTH OF A TURN AT A TIME, IF THAT MUCH. Wait several minutes before tightening again to allow it to settle in. If you feel uncomfortable doing this, get a pro to do it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by spootz
your guitar may explode and kill you.

rofl

but yea try it out if u like it take it if you dont, switch back