Considering my style in playing is more on the Metal side i wanna get some new pickups...

Ive heard a lot of EMG's really popular...BUT the Blackouts have just ascended from hell and are also used by great bands like DIVINE HERESY and CHILDREN OF BODOM.

What do you prefer?
hugomartinez.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/shredon614
I believe Hakael has both EMG and Blackout equipped guitars; you should send him a PM.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The honest-to-goodness difference between them is negligible.
The EMGs sound more modern, more gain-y. The Duncans sound more organic. Both have high output.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Go for the blackouts. EMG's are overused now IMO.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Never used Blackouts wanna try em, but my EMG`s are the stuff Metal gods play with... the gain from them with the PA 2 is unreal and the pinch harmonics are insane, deff, put them in a guitar with a Floyd.

i don`t see me using anything other then EMG 81/85 maybe the 60, but i still gotta try the Blackouts.

but truespin has both, and if he`s right, there really no sence in me spending the cash on Blackouts when i know i love EMG`s.
Quote by PlagueX1
Go for the blackouts. EMG's are overused now IMO.

Thats not a great reason.

As for a difference between the two, I can't help you compare, I can just tell you my experience with EMG's. I'm not a fan of 81's, they sound rather thin and searing. Great for like 80's metal but not enough thickness for modern metal. The 89 or 85 is a phenomenal pickup (i prefer the 89) they are both some of the biggest sounding pickups I've ever heard, and the 89 has the best cleans from a pickup I've ever heard.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Thats not a great reason.

As for a difference between the two, I can't help you compare, I can just tell you my experience with EMG's. I'm not a fan of 81's, they sound rather thin and searing. Great for like 80's metal but not enough thickness for modern metal. The 89 or 85 is a phenomenal pickup (i prefer the 89) they are both some of the biggest sounding pickups I've ever heard, and the 89 has the best cleans from a pickup I've ever heard.

Really, see i LOVE the 81 for the high gain searing sound it has, it just sounds like your gonna melt your face off with it.

havn`t tryed a 89 but the 85 is REALLLY boomy, ton of bass to it, wish it had alittle more high end, but is a really good pickup for cleans if you turn the gain way down.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Emgs with the 18v mod FTW

Same great output and tone but alot more organic....

also even more gain

but ya the 18V mod is a MUST.

Wish i had space to put a 9V/18V switch in my Warlock
Quote by Slayerdeath
also even more gain

but ya the 18V mod is a MUST.

Wish i had space to put a 9V/18V switch in my Warlock

Honestly i leave mine in 18v mode about 99% of the time. I might switch to 9v so i can get the exact tone of a band im playing but then in like ugh i rather the 18v so i immediately switch back to 18 lol
Quote by truespin
The honest-to-goodness difference between them is negligible.
The EMGs sound more modern, more gain-y. The Duncans sound more organic. Both have high output.

bang on the money. I found not a lot of difference. Seymour Duncan have obviously used the EMG's as they're blueprint. The only difference I would say is slightly more output than EMG's, which ain't a good thing on the neck pickup if you need decent cleans, but great for leads.

My main guitar has EMG 60/81, because I need the 60 for the cleans in my band's songs. The Blackouts are in my backup guitar cause I found them useless for cleans, but they are excellent for all else and a welcome change for differing purposes.

If you are in the hunt for active pickups but need cleans, go 60/81. If you need just brutal power then look at 85/81 and the Blackouts, they are a lot more alikened to each other.
In my opinion, actives aren't really worth it.

Coming from an EMG owner.

But seriously, I'd just look at some higher output passives, they have a more diverse sound, and I doubt you'll get tired of the sound as quickly as you would with actives.
go with the new blackouts ahb-1 there replacing emgs in fact the nickname for for these beast pickups are emgkiller
I personally prefer blackouts, i hear they have a more humbucking tone, but Im getting them installed next week.
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
EMGs with the 18v mod...or the new EMGs might be good (i have not tried them yet). I also like blackouts but find the EMGs to have a bit more bite.
i use nothing but emg 81/60, does the job for me, i tried blackouts and didnt liek them
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
if u THINK about it, it all comes down to preference, ur going to get biased answers left and right here
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
I had the same decision to make and went with the Blackouts, I just go the bridge pup though as I rarely use the neck pup, being installed as we speak.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
I have Both the Regular blackouts and Blackout metal in two of rhoads.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Iv played emg's and they sound good but the Blacks came out and are said to be emg killers. Then I also herd that emg came out with the emg's X to compeat with the blacks
It`s all preference. Try them both and see which one sounds better for the tone you`re looking for.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by MaidenRulez666
Considering my style in playing is more on the Metal side i wanna get some new pickups...

Ive heard a lot of EMG's really popular...BUT the Blackouts have just ascended from hell and are also used by great bands like DIVINE HERESY and CHILDREN OF BODOM.

What do you prefer?

children of bodom uses emgs
holy shit what an old thread
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me