Page 1 of 3
COLOR PICTURES ON PAGE 2

FINISHED GUITAR ON PAGE 4

Im taking a Jackson Rhoads EX that has been abused a bit and giving it some new life. Going from plain black to bight yellow, new pick-ups(Swinsehead Warthogs), new electronics and maybe a new floyd rose to replace the licensed one. This is my first project, not only that it is my first time refinishing anything, so this is all new to me. I hope it turns out to be the 80s Metal Machine I envision.

DAY 1: After a day of playing with the Jackson it was time to dismantle and sand. Dismantling took maybe an hour. First time ever taking a guitar apart completely, wasn't hard though. Everything went into labeled bags and documented all the electronics.

I started sanding with 320 grit but I found it to be too fine, so I got some 150 grit and went at it. This also was fairly easy, I took off the clear coat but left the paint because I didn't feel like I needed too strip it too the wood for a solid color refinish.

I was done sanding much earlier than I expected so I decided to prime today. I did 2 coats tonight and I'm going to sand and re-prime tomorrow afternoon.

How does it look? Is it looking the way its supposed to?

When I am buying paint what finish do I want(matte, semi-gloss, or gloss)? I was thinking matte since I'll be putting clear gloss lacquer, but I'm not sure.

Any other suggestions to what I should do with this baby are welcome too.

Day 2:
Today I sanded the primer with 320 grit sandpaper. Everything was smoothed out but a little black showed through and a noticed a few imperfections so I re-applied primer, 3 coats so far, I'll do one more tonight. I also bought my paint and lacquer to prepare for tomorrow(hopefully)

Check back in tomorrow for COLOR pictures!

Sun Yellow ftw

*UPDATE*

Day 3:
I sanded a few small imperfections and a few primer touch up spots.

Then

PAINT!
Images on Page 2!
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Jul 18, 2008,
Looks great so far. You got that with only 2 coats of primer, which brand? I'm really impressed with that, I've always had to do at least 4-5 for such a solid base

I think you're on the right track, and the yellow should be plenty lurid for and 80's metal monster. I think you're right in choosing matte finish, a gloss/semi-gloss would only hamper the clear coats.

Nice work so far, I'll be watching this.
Ooooooohh, that thing looks so sweet!

I use gloss on any guitars I paint.
Don't paint the headstock, keep the Original Jackson design intact.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Looks great so far. You got that with only 2 coats of primer, which brand? I'm really impressed with that, I've always had to do at least 4-5 for such a solid base

I think you're on the right track, and the yellow should be plenty lurid for and 80's metal monster. I think you're right in choosing matte finish, a gloss/semi-gloss would only hamper the clear coats.

Nice work so far, I'll be watching this.

Wow thanks, like I said this is my first time doing this kind of thing so I wasn't sure.
I just used rustoleum "painters touch" primer.

As for the actual paint I was thinking of using Montana Hardcore, which is a company mostly focusing on street art/graffiti. They have super vibrant color and they are pretty close to where I live so I thought I'd try them out. Otherwise Im going to go for Krylon.
that primer job looks really smooth and consistent, great job with that. cant wait to see more.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Ooooooohh, that thing looks so sweet!

I use gloss on any guitars I paint.
Don't paint the headstock, keep the Original Jackson design intact.

Yeah I was planning on keeping the headstock the way it came
Plus I'm not too sure how good it would turn out if I tried to paint it, haha.
looks good, cant wait to see it finished!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Personally, I'd go for a blazing Ferrari-type red, but yellow's plenty 80's metal too!

The primer looks real good, btw.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
After looking at a few tutorials I am a little confused, is lacquer the clear coat or do you use lacquer then regular clear coat? I was planning on buying my paint and clear coat today, I just don't want to buy too much.
Looks like I'm going to have to pick new colours for my build : (

Yellow feels so last century now.

This should be cool when it's finished.
Quote by guitar/bass76
Lacquer is the clear coat.

Thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Sorry to steal your color mint sauce
I just wanted something totally bright and that screams. I saw your build earlier today and I think its really sweet looking.
Quote by thefrigginbob
Thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Sorry to steal your color mint sauce
I just wanted something totally bright and that screams. I saw your build earlier today and I think its really sweet looking.

Haha, I was only messing! Yellow is an awesome colour.

Do you have a specific shade in mind? And what's happening with those bevels? If you're feeling confident, you should totally paint the bevels, or paint a pinstripe on. Whatever you do though, take your time, and make it perfect first time. It'll annoy the hell out of you later, if you make any mistakes.

Bon chance!
Quote by -MintSauce-
Haha, I was only messing! Yellow is an awesome colour.

Do you have a specific shade in mind? And what's happening with those bevels? If you're feeling confident, you should totally paint the bevels, or paint a pinstripe on. Whatever you do though, take your time, and make it perfect first time. It'll annoy the hell out of you later, if you make any mistakes.

Bon chance!

As for Shade I want a bright bright taxi cab/school bus/ lightning/ meltyourfaceoff yellow

Yeah I was thinking about doing something with the bevels, but being that this is the first time I am painting anything I thought I would just go with solid yellow.
I may change my mind though.
black bevels would look awesome!!!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by thefrigginbob
Wow thanks, like I said this is my first time doing this kind of thing so I wasn't sure.
I just used rustoleum "painters touch" primer.

As for the actual paint I was thinking of using Montana Hardcore, which is a company mostly focusing on street art/graffiti. They have super vibrant color and they are pretty close to where I live so I thought I'd try them out. Otherwise Im going to go for Krylon.

YEAH!!!
reppin MTN
i knew you tag
what you write?
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
B.C. Rich warlock w/ zakk wylde bullseye
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
YEAH!!!
reppin MTN
i knew you tag
what you write?

Really, what gave it away?

Anyway, someone definitely knows how to get good, even coverage with a spray can, so the colour coats should be awesome.

I AM TEH EXCITED.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Really, what gave it away?

Anyway, someone definitely knows how to get good, even coverage with a spray can, so the colour coats should be awesome.

I AM TEH EXCITED.

yeah Spainish is way better than german(Who ripped their name),
and way better than rusto cause rusto a month later gets elasticy
and sticks.

I write Shi
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
oh god WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
painters touch does NOT work with enamel or lacquer
it gets major cracks !
it happened to my LP EVH paint job.
So if it's painters touch you gotta stay with it
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
maybe you could fina a glow-in-the-dark clearcoat, or something that you could add to this, so it'll scream at you 24/7?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by new2castle
oh god WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
painters touch does NOT work with enamel or lacquer
it gets major cracks !
it happened to my LP EVH paint job.
So if it's painters touch you gotta stay with it

Hmm, well yesterday I bought some regular krylon primer because they were out of what I used before and the guy at ACE said it didn't matter, so now its covered in krylon primer, Ill do a couple test coats and see if it works, otherwise Ill just sand it down and start over.

As for writing, I wasn't very good at the big stuff so I mostly did throws, stencils and stickers... just kept it simple, I used to write "SK". I always hated when people who weren't very good were trying to do big complicated pieces and it would turn out ****ty.

I WISH they had glow in the dark clear coat!
yeah
i'm in a small town so i have to stick with slaps and tags
but there is a richeous bridge that i did a nice throw
but i don't have any caps that fit MTN cause rusto caps don't fit on there
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Wow! Paint is going on super smooth. I may finish painting tonight.

I was planning on doing 4 coats then wet sand it with 600grit, then 2 more coats and see how it looks. Or is there a different order I should do?
looks sick! just not my style heh..

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
looks sweet. reminds me of those old kramer vanguards that came in "nuclear yellow"
Quote by -MintSauce-
That shade of yellow is PHIT!

Take your time, dude.. it's coming along nicely.

Thanks. I already messed up a little
I got a small drip under one of the wings, so Im going to let is dry and sand it out. Other than that is going pretty smooth.

"looks sweet. reminds me of those old kramer vanguards that came in "nuclear yellow""

That basically what I was going for
what color is that man?
looks awesome
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
that would be yellow.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Quote by new2castle
what color is that man?
looks awesome

Thanks

It's Krylon "Sun Yellow"

I'm going to call it(steal) Nuclear Yellow, because it sounds much better.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
i'm surprised no one made the referrence to the GH2 kramer
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
What grit should I use for wet sanding the color coat I laid down 600 or 800?

And how long do I have to wait before I can sand it?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
do 600 then 800.
and depending on how hot it is and if it's inside/outside from 9 hours to 1 1/2 days
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
awww...nomore?
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
awww...nomore?

Hmm?

Just waiting for a full dry then Ill be sanding this afternoon
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I remember the original thread you posted when you bought it, looks good. Good luck with the rest of it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Small Update for Today:

This morning I hung it out in the sun, then went to work wet sanding. I noticed a few weak spots, so I wiped it down and sprayed weak spots first.

Later I put on another coat, and laid it on thick.

I plan on wet sanding again tomorrow and doing a full detailed inspection to see if I am ready for the clear coat. I would really like to get the clear coat on soon so I can leave it to harden.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Page 1 of 3