Just like the title says, I'm feelin like my guitar looks too new and I want to give it a more weathered look on the front of the guitar. You guys have any tips on how to do this? I guess I was just thinking about sanding around the edges of the guitar and kind of fade in and leave the middle the strong red that it came with. Any tips for this? Thanks.
Leave it outside during a storm or do what my friend did and tape raw meat on it before throwing it at a bear.
ahhhhh.. play it.....alot
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
there isn't anything i shoudl know before doing it? i don't really want to **** up haha. is there any way to get a faded kind of look, from really sanded to not sanded?
Quote by Toker420
tape raw meat on it before throwing it at a bear.

lol
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez IC-400 [Made in Korea, Aug. 2005]
Ibanez Studio ST55 [Made in Japan, Sept. 1980]
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal
play it live and really rock out, that's how all of mine ended up getting beat up looking.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by HomerG
there isn't anything i shoudl know before doing it? i don't really want to **** up haha. is there any way to get a faded kind of look, from really sanded to not sanded?

Try it out on the back first.
Quote by HomerG

Start with a rough grain where you want the really sanded, then go to smaller grits of sand paper as you get less sanded, then for the final non sanded part, do a little bit of wet sanding.
Signatures are overrated.
play the living sht out of that guitar....you think SRV used sandpaper on his guitars?!?!

no, he threw it across the stage
All you need is a pick up truck and a ten foot rope.

Or you could take a real fine steel wool and rub it around at certain areas to take some of the shine away, or sand paper, just make sure its fine enough so it looks more natural and smooth. Ive found that once you get down to the wood, use some light varnish/stain to give the wood kind of an old looking tint, cuz otherwise the freshly sanded wood looks just like freshly sanded wood......also, Ive gotten good results by dropping the body on hard floors, even a cement floor, I wouldn't recommend if its a set neck though, but as for just the body, from a few feet above the ground. Plus ive used hammers and screw drivers to make small dings and scratches, also burning some areas with a torch gave a cool beat up effect... Its tough to replicate 30 years of wear and tear though...

Heres one I did a while back, some of you may have seen it before....Clicky
pour acid on it.
My Gear

Guitar
DEAN Razorback Shards
Wesley crappy cheap thing

Amps
Cheap Crappy Freedom Practice AMP 15watts
VOX AD50 Valtronix
Every time I read a thread like this, I can't help but wonder how many people go buy a brand new car and then get the urge to attack it with a hammer to make it look like a 25 year old piece of crap.

Must be a guitar thing.
The best way to make a guitar look like it's been played a lot, imho...

...is to simply play it a lot.

I've seen some good faux relic guitars... and I've seen some amazingly horrible looking ones.

I'd rather just let nature take it's course.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
sand it??? use rough sandpaper first. then, as you progress, use smooth sandpaper....

......or just play it a lot. :1:
jingle car keys or something over it to make scratches, deepen the scratches manually if needed, and rub ground up pencil lead into the scratches
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Throw it down the stairs... Or off your roof.

The whole concept of "relic-ing" a guitar seems kinda iffy to me. Just let nature take it's course, then each little mark will have a story rather than just "that's where I sanded the **** outta my guitar!"... Just play it a bunch and don't be EXTREMELY careful with it, it'll have a few marks in it in no time.
Quote by codyshredfoo
play the living sht out of that guitar....you think SRV used sandpaper on his guitars?!?!

no, he threw it across the stage

And stood on it

Possibly the coolest moment out of the El Mocambo DVD. That or the spin-unhook-strap-reattach-while-spinning thing...

And yeah. TS, just play the living fuck out of it... Thats how Froosh, Jimi, Stevie, Gilmour, and every other guitarist how played a beat up guitar did it...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
like alot of people said before, play it like hell. Also wear bracelets/rings on your picking hand when u play to get that used look. Just don't destroy the thing.
Just play the shit out of it, dude. All this "relic" nonsense has gotten way out of hand.
Now it's 1984
Knock knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your un-cool niece