Page 1 of 2
Saw this on another forum:

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244457

Quote:
This thread is fascinating reading, and is beginning to gather the same momentum as the dooma350 ebay thread a couple of months ago. Evidently there is a scammer claiming to have a nice set of MB wheels & tires which he keeps selling, and then when they don't arrive he just blames DHL, keeps the $$ and disappears. But--this time the MB community got together and did some great detective work (one guy did magic with Photoshop to get his license #, another one did some network traces) and they have narrowed things down to his area. Meanwhile, a couple of other people who were scammed have spoken up with additional info. If you have a couple of hours to spend reading the thread, or even scanning, it's another great example of the power of the Net communities.

On page 5, there are photos of the scammer's car, a Jaguar S Type R in a Best Buy parking lot
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Last edited by Rooskiy at May 29, 2008,
http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244457&page=18

new member comes on here, sells wheels to one member, sells wheels to second member... sets up tracking numbers in DHL(2 counts of mail fraud)

sends bogus packages to Texas address...

members talk about getting scammed... in another thread we put two and two together about who did the scamming... we suggest mods scan IPs, another member posts pictures of cars scammer has... I recognize locations scammer used... scammer gets nervous and starts taking down pictures, we rehost pictures... we talk trash for a few pages to make scammer uncomfortable... scammer refunds money to original two folks that got scammed... and says transaction is now void... we continue witch hunt...

Using license plate tags that another member uncovered using photoshop... we traced the registration of the C230 to a billy smith sr who lives in stoughton, MA... with a little more investigating, we trace billy smith jr to be living at another address... We suspect that scammer lives at home with mom and dad(who owns an insurance sales business)

we now have everything we needed to on him... his trying to lube his ass in anticipation of whats coming for him
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Last edited by Rooskiy at May 28, 2008,
broken links
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Links Fixed.
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
Im in his sig
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
Im in his sig

did you happen to read the following quote in my sig....
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
damn...he got butt****ed
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
That guy got owned by that forum!

I felt like punching something when I read the word 'DHL' for the 60 billionth time.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
That guy got owned by that forum!

I felt like punching something when I read the word 'DHL' for the 60 billionth time.

especially when the tool kept saying " it was all DHL's fault"...
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
I like how the guy thinks he's convincing people.

I didn't get to the end. Did they catch him or something?
''When questioned about your supposed job number going to some dude that never heard of you...you say that is your partner and he knows about this??? WTF?''

Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
Awesome. Reminds me of "the Claw" who stole a car then was tracked down through the internet. At one point the threads page views went up by 500 every 10 seconds.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=212943&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1

One of the most epic events of the internet evah!!!
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Last edited by Zangetsu 101 at May 28, 2008,
I hate scammers

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

I only read through page 9 (there are a ****load of posts) but that's pretty fascinating. I'm glad they all pooled their resources and nailed the guy.
Quote by Th6r6a6sH
The Pit is a reliable source of information
Quote by imdeth
My penis is tough. My penis is elite.
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I like Luigi.

His cock is maximum.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

OPETH RULES.

Member of Åkerfeldtism

My last.fm
You know what pisses me off? That mercedes would use the song Mercedes Benz by Janis Joplin to advertise their stupid car. Do they not get the point of the damn song?

..I know this isn't really that relevant, but it reminded me of something I'm angry about.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Ah yes, nice detective work. I remember when UG did something similar; some guy made a thread about how he had spread nude pics of a girl to her school which almost let to her suicide. He was bragging about it too and the detective powers of UG converged. Eventually we found out what school he went to and sent a letter to his principal about the whole thing.

Not sure how it went after that, though =/
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I didn't read the whole thing, but I read the 'history' page someone linked to on the last (32nd) page.

That is so awesome. I love it when things like this happen. A bunch of people from around the world work together and take down some scammer dick.
I love our mod-*team for not alowing us to put pictures in sigs

and: daaaayum !

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Last edited by noxiosimitator at May 28, 2008,
This is sweet. There was so much detective work to work out who the guy was. Pretty impressive stuff. One guy said "all this because some of us were bored on a Friday night". There were some important people who uncovered the guy so I just want to say major respect to those who helped the people who got scammed.
Reading through it now, on page 3 so far! *phew*
Posted By Joth
BassyJoey has a sweet toosh!
Quote by noxiosimitator
I love our mod-*team for not alowing us to put pictures in sigs

and: daaaayum !

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
lol i'll be honest, im still reading it too.... really long thread but I am really glad tools like that scammer get what they deserve.
Quote by rich_sg

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
that is so awesome... hopefully the bastard gets what he deserves.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
That was sort of like on that bodybuilding forum when that guy's girlfriend was cheating on him and continually lied about it, and they found out her info and harassed her.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
i read the first page, skipped to 5 read a few pages... amazing stuff so far. anybody got a summery with the important posts only?
Page 1 of 2