Hey GB&C,

Are the parts on the Stewart-MacDonald site better than the parts that come with mexican fender basses? I'm thinking about entirely replacing my electronics [pots, pickup] and my tuners.

Thanks

EDIT:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Bass_tuners/Schaller_Bass_Machines.html

is that the direct replacement for fender tuners?
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Last edited by InvaderRen at May 28, 2008,
Fellow invader.

I'm quite positive that the electronics on my bass [Fender Standard Jazz Bass] are inferior to the American and even the Japanese models.
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Mexican guts aren't really all that bad, but the stew-mac stuff is more than likely superior. At the very least, it won't be worse. Stew-mac is a really good place to get stuff (though to me, it's a bit expensive).

(It's wierd seeing another invader here )

edit: Damn, we're even the same age.
Last edited by Invader Jim at May 28, 2008,
well, the actually quality of a potentiometer won't really change your sound, or the cables or even the brand of capacitors... but changing the values of the capacitors or pots can tweak your tone a bit... make it darker or brighter, not necessarily better imo
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
the main problem with the pots is that they remain very soft from 1-8, but from 8-10, the volume spikes, so its hard to get the right volume/pickup blend on the fly
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by InvaderRen
the main problem with the pots is that they remain very soft from 1-8, but from 8-10, the volume spikes, so its hard to get the right volume/pickup blend on the fly
Your pots are probably audio (logarithmic) taper. they'll work fine individually, but be very abrupt when reducing from full volume if both pickups are selected. Gibson uses linear pots for this reason, when having more than 1 volume control. They will give a slower transition from full on. If blending 2 pickups together is a priority for you, get linear pots when you replace these.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.