Hey guys. I never really took the time to properly identify my Ibanez Studio... it was given to me by my neighbour (4 years ago) and was my first guitar. But I quickly moved on and bought my own after 6 months.

Anyway, I have some pics of it that were on my harddrive from some time ago so I'm wondering if I can get a quick ID on it. If I need to take pics of something else like the headstock (back?) or a serial, I can do that tomorrow.

Take a look:

All I know is it has 24 frets, 2 humbuckers, 2 tone 2 volume controls, set-in neck and is a Studio. Any idea how I can figure out a specific "model" of the studio series, or at least what year it was born? My guess would be early to mid 80's.

thanks!!
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez IC-400 [Made in Korea, Aug. 2005]
Ibanez Studio ST55 [Made in Japan, Sept. 1980]
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal
Last edited by shadow21x at May 28, 2008,
Numbers as in serial?

There are no numbers or letters next to the studio logo. It just says "studio" on the truss rod cover (see the gold plated cover)

As for a serial, I'm pretty sure that there is one on the back of the headstock, I am going to check for one tomorrow and I'll post back in this thread.
Ibanez S470DXQM
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
I looked on google. An Ibanez studio identical to your is being sold for £399- a 1980's one
IIRC, its a Studio ST70, late 70's -early 80's. The first two numbers of the serial will tell you the year. It has Ibanez V2 pickups and the Gibraltar I bridge. Nice guitar.
Cool Jason and gerbil, thanks for the info.

I googled the ST70 and it's identical, except for the pickup selector being near the tone/volume knobs. Mine has it at the top of the body.

But anyway, I looked up the serial behind the headstock and it is:

And it says "Crafted In Japan" in a gold, cursive font.

Does that mean it was made in 1980?
How can I find out what it's worth now? (I wouldn't sell it though :P)
and lastly is there any other info I can get out of the serial?

EDIT:
It could be an I instead of a 1, I'm not sure.
so maybe I805617.

I just looked up serial number detailing for Ibanez and found this:

1975 to 1983 Ibanez

Example serial number C800358
C=March So A=Jan M=Dec
80 = 1980 year of build
0358= 358th guitar built for that month.

So then according to this, my guitar was made in September 1980, and was the 5,617th guitar built that month.

Is that right?
Ibanez S470DXQM
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
Last edited by shadow21x at May 28, 2008,
It is a 1980 model. There's a couple different styles of Ibanez serial numbers. The "I" may refer to a month. It may also refer to the plant it was built in. I'm not positive either way, but I'd lean more towards the build plant.

Check this site out:
http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
They can give you a definite answer on the serial number and if it is in fact a ST70, or a different Studio.
Quote by shadow21x
I googled the ST70 and it's identical, except for the pickup selector being near the tone/volume knobs. Mine has it at the top of the body.

Sorry for the walking dead threat but I have your exact model: ST55

ST50: 1 volume 1 tone knobs, selector at the top of the body
ST55: 2 volume 2 tone knobs, selector at the top of the body
ST70: 2 volume 2 tone knobs, selector near the knobs

Some order from Ibanez chaos:
ST50 and ST55 belongs to the 79 catalog although was made until late 80
ST70 appears in 80 and 81 catalogs although I only found 81 real specimens
In 1982 studio series changed again, ST60, ST80 and ST90 with pickguard and accu-cast bridge were presented

1979 catalog

1981 catalog

1982 catalog

Gorgeous guitars!
Last edited by etolkien at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by Jason43
IIRC, its a Studio ST70, late 70's -early 80's. The first two numbers of the serial will tell you the year. It has Ibanez V2 pickups and the Gibraltar I bridge. Nice guitar.

It is an definately an ST 55 and the specs are pretty sweet:

Mahogany body

3 piece maple set neck

18:1 Velve Tune I tuners

Nichrome plated zinc hardware

Gibraltar bridge

V2 Super Humbuckers with ceramic magnets

Some are going for some pretty high prices online, two that I saw on Reverb a 1979 for $475 and a 1980 for $675
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 8, 2016,