Page 1 of 2
One of my friends wants to take up guitar. He wants to play metal, but i dont know what guitar would look the best and sound the best. I was thinking Jacksons cause a lot of metal bands use them. Also a amp thats good for metal with no pedal. Theres a budget of about $2000 for guitar and amp. Any suggestions?
Guitar: Cort G290
Amp: Laney LX65R
Pedal: Korg AX3G Multi-Effect
dean guitar. I have the "Dime ml shadow" and i love it. as for amps.....i don't know much about them....sorry

Edit: The Dean guitar that i have is about $600
Last edited by sopranoman1771 at May 28, 2008,
What kind of metal? I'd suggest an SG just because they are really great guitars and good for metal (and most other genres) With that budget you could even get a real Gibson and not a cheaper copy
From what I've heard, Ibanez are fairly good for metal, and cheap. As for amps, Marshalls are pretty good for distortion, and you can get some good ones that would fit into the budget with a guitar.
As for Jacksons, from what I've seen they're rather expensive. I have one, and it's really good, but as I said, they're kind of expensive.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
for $2000 u could get a fairly high end ESP with marshall amps....
Does he know how to play a guitar? If not I would recommend a begginer one, such as a Ibanez or an Epiphone. If he gets along well he can go for the LTD ESP, the best guitar I've ever owned, they're soo damn good that I wouldn't buy another unless it really convinces me. For amps, I use Hughes and Kettner but you need some knowledge so I'd say he go for an Ibanez or perhaps a small Crate amp.
<-- CARPE DIEM -->

ESP/LTD M100FM
BcRich Warlock w/Duncan pups
Cort X-6
Hughes and Kettner Warp 7 112
Boss ME-70
Quote by AiC
for $2000 u could get a fairly high end ESP with marshall amps....

There's better amps out there than Marshall though.
TS, have a look through the ESP LTD range.
Signatures are overrated.
He hasnt played before but i dont think a beginner guitar would be good, then you have to buy another one. He kindas wants a Jackson like the one Matt Tuck from bullet uses. but i cant find a price for it in aust. Ibanez and esp would be good, but as for gibsons. not metal looking enough for him.
Some other good metal brands are BC.RICH and ESP.

My Brother owns a VOX valvertronix amp and an ESP LTD EX-50 which plays metal very well and looks pretty awesome and would cost around 1000-2000 dollars depending on which model amp and guitar you get.
If you wanta metal guitar i'd recommend these brands ( there are more):
Schecter (Cloud series)
Ibanez (RG, Iceman)
Dean (ML)
Jackson (King V, dinky, soloist)
BC Rich (warlock)
Quote by INASKAxx
Ibanez and esp would be good, but as for gibsons. not metal looking enough for him.

The look doesn't make the sound.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
You guys, pay attention to detail.
He said Aussie prices in one of his posts, so you need to watch what you recommend.
$2000 is a good budget, although he might have to wait a few months to get money, his parents are paying half of the total cost. Im looking at the Ibanez S series or the Jackson V guitars. Got to find one he likes and sounds good.
is this $2000 Australian

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Quote by stussy<>punk
is this $2000 Australian

Yes.
Quote by INASKAxx
$2000 is a good budget, although he might have to wait a few months to get money, his parents are paying half of the total cost. Im looking at the Ibanez S series or the Jackson V guitars. Got to find one he likes and sounds good.

V's probably aren't too good for starters, hard to play sitting down. Try a Jackson Kelly or a Jackson MG series WRMG warrior, if he wants a Jackson. WRMG's are only like $1200 AUD, and you should be able to get one somewhere here. Plus they look very metal =P
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Jackson SL3 second hand, Peavey 5150 head second hand, Good 2*12 cab with V30's second hand.
There you go.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Jesstaa
V's probably aren't too good for starters, hard to play sitting down. Try a Jackson Kelly or a Jackson MG series WRMG warrior, if he wants a Jackson. WRMG's are only like $1200 AUD, and you should be able to get one somewhere here. Plus they look very metal =P

You can sit down with Vs in a classical position. Which IMO is more comfy anyway.

I do 2nd the Jackson thing though, they kick much ass.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Don't get me wrong, I like floating tremolos as much as the next guy who loves floating tremolos, but if I had one on my first guitar, I'd've never learned to tune my guitar. Plus, a standard bridge would probably help him change tunings so he can learn that too.
Quote by Boz0r

EDIT: And 2000 AUD is about 1925 USD, btw.

We do pay over double for every piece of gear though.
^^Aw, come on, tuning isnt that hard, even with a double locking trem.
- Tune with tuningkeys
- stretch strings
- Tune again with tuningkeys
- lock the nut
- stretch the strings
- tune with fine tuners on the bridge.
- done

But, i see your point about droptuning. But that has nothing to do with being a beginner. Even a pro is not getting a guitar with a floyd if hes gonna change tunings alot.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
why not try a jackson JS series rhaods? they're the cheapest rhoads guitar
matt tuck plays a rhoads and he said his mate wants one like matt tuck
Because JS series suck.
And Matthew tuck plays a 2600$ RR1T
Thats a whole other guitar than the 300$ js30

If he really wants a Rhoads, than he should look out for a RR3 or a RR24
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
People! Listen!
Australian Prices! We pay DOUBLE!
Quote by Moe.
People! Listen!
Australian Prices! We pay DOUBLE!

Then buy used!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Then buy used!

We still pay a lot more!
Schecter Hellraiser, spend the rest on a 5150 or something.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by Moe.
We still pay a lot more!

I think the australian prices second hand are not more than american prices new. I live in Europe, and we also pay alot more than americans. But prices on the second hand market are doable.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I see your in AUS, im up in Bris.

I really think a GREAT combo to start metal is the Ibanez MTM2 (Slipknot Signature, retails for $1095) and a Boss ME50 Effects Pedal (retails for $595). This leaves about $500 for an amp, and you can certainly find something great for that mark (I use a Line6 Spider 112).

I see people recommending the RG42 Ibanez, but it just doesn't do metal tones justice, and the neck is thicker then the MTM2. For metal the MTM2 is just amazing.
If he were tru metal he'd snap his leg off, stick a floyd rose in it, string it, and carv out through fire and flames without ever getting a lesson...

But seriously?

Go a second hand gibson explorer, find one that a guy has already put emgs in, take it to a luthier... say "YOU THERE, INSTALL THIS FLOYD ROSE IN MY EXPLORER!"

as for an amp... Messa Boogie, Something botique or a freaking trip to the moon *sarcasum*
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
THE HIGHEST end LTD will be great for him, otherwise, you can look into:
1.ESP which is the higher end version of LTD
2.Jackson because the guitars they have over the 1,000 mark are rated as some of the best metal guitars
3.Newer B.C. Riches anything 699 and over will do wonders for metal
4.Any thing he feels comfortable with. Make him go try out guitars, let him pick.

As far as amps go, for metal, Peavey is probably one of the better choices for the money. Otherwise, you could try B-52, Randalls, Laney, or a lower priced ENGL. But, you should have him try anything before he buys it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
SG!

Extremely versatile

I have an Epi G-400 Deluxe and get great metal tones with the bridge humbucker.

its around a 500 or 600 dollar guitar

as for amps, I've heard that The Peavey ValveKing is great for metal, and that's available in a half-stack package for 900 bucks.

I play my SG through an older peavey model and love it

hope that helps
www.myspace.com/hijackedtheband
Page 1 of 2