Recently just started a band and it's going pretty good. Never thought it would happen, but my band mates have decided for me to be the lead guitarist
haha
The good news is I'm understanding the guitar neck more and more. I know the regular pen.scale, where the different chord forms are, and even a couple bluesy licks. Hell, I've even mashed together a solo of my own for one of our songs.
But I'm in a rut. I'd like to learn how to play up and down the neck more!
I'm tired of being stuck in one posistion on the neck!
How do you extend your scale on the neck?
How do you transistion pleasingly up and/or down the neck?
Any other helpful tips would be awesome too
thanks
have u tried learning scales via the box method? it's like 5 boxes for each scale. I'd suggest memorizing the pentatonic and the major. if you are unfamiliar with the box method, i'll explain or try to find a link for you. it enables you to stay in a scale anywhere on the entire neck, and you only need to learn one "set" of boxes per scale and then u basically know it in every key, you just move the boxes around. sorry, if this doesn't make sense, just say so and i'll find you a link if i can.
Learn the scales starting in other positions; learn the notes that make up each scale and where each note is on the neck; play them to a metronome until you get so sick and tired of just running the scales that you begin to put what you know to good use. By then you will have a fairly comprehensive idea of where you can go in each scale, a decent sense of timing, and, hopefully, ideas of something you might want to play. It definitely takes time and effort, but it will really benefit you in the long run.
thank ya bro
those will definatly help out

but i'd like to know how to transistion smoothly between chord scales instead of just jumping
Quote by Buckhole
thank ya bro
those will definatly help out

but i'd like to know how to transistion smoothly between chord scales instead of just jumping

you need guitar theory

you will be able to find one scale for a progrssion more or less. instead of "changing scales" to fit the chord you are playing at the monent. i put it in quotations because you are more than likely playing the same scale somewhere else on the neck.

and when i say somewhere else on the neck i don't mean different box position either.

a scale can be played anywhere on the neck as long as you follow the notes that are in it.

i could go on for a while about this but i recommend starting here

learn major scale (diatonic 7note scale) all over the neck to

learn intervals

learn triad chord construction

learn the major keys

then branch out from there

the major scale is the bassist of our theory and that is why i recomend it to you first.

evrything else intervals wise is in relation to the major scale

it is the constant where as everything else changes
song stuck in my head today