Hi there, i just wanted to know if buying a tube amp for running the PODxt be any good? Let me tell u first that i will be using the amp models of the PODxt and not of the tube amp, in fact i want to bypass the preamp totally and use the poweramp and speaker section of the amp through the effects return of the amp so that it doesnt add any color to the tone of my PODxt. so in that case would a tube amp be better or a solid-state?

Whichever option u suggest. can u also suggest me the amp too? I know atomic amps are the best for running amp modellers, but anything other than that? coz i wont get an atomic amp where i live.
You have a few options.

First you can take any tube head with an FX loop and plug the POD out into the FX return of the amp and that will bypass the amps Preamp and only use the poweramp. This is a great way to use a POD. The only color added will be the characteristics of the power amp. If you want more Mid range cut use EL-34's, For more scooped and punch go 6L6.

If u use a Marshall 100 watt head fx return, the tone will be raunchy and mean and will really bark at you.
Marshall power stages arent for those who want a smooth sound.

For a smoother sound go for a Mesa poweramp
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Last edited by Ubershall404 at May 28, 2008,
^ Atomic amps

Or, if you will never use the tube amp side, go for a PA or keyboard amp.

Im looking at the Roland KC-350 myself.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
i already said that i wont be able to get hold of an atomic amp. So tell me some good combo amps like Peavey, Laney, Randall or Marshall.
you should also consider orange set up like the rocker 30 or 50, it has a really simple set up with few knobs and such but if your processing all of your sound from your board it would be nice. and also if you want to bypass your preamp completely then u can go into the power amp in on the back of your amp if it has the feature, but im not sure if this is bypassing your tube too. does anyone know?
I wouldn't suggest any tube amp if you're going to just bypass the preamp all together, their power amps are made to work well with their preamps.

If you need something to run it through, get a power amp from Mesa or something or just get a PA or keyboard amp as said before.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Keyboard amps are generally tonally neutral which is what you want for modelling as you dont want any colouring of the tone they produce. Its the second option after a tube power amp and cab imo.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Kinda related question, but will the Pod X3 fit into Atomic amps.

You get the frames, I was just wondering if the X3 is the same shape at the XT or 2.0 or whatever.
ok got it. but which of the solid state combo amps would go best with it, i mean with the PODxt?
Quote by slashofrdx
ok got it. but which of the solid state combo amps would go best with it, i mean with the PODxt?

Any keyboard combo, I suppose.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by slashofrdx
solid state combo guitar amps?

Price range?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by slashofrdx
within 400 USD

Assuming you're only using the clean channel, a Fender Frontman 212R would suffice. It's OD channel isn't much, but it has nice cleans that would fit well with the pod.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
It's not tube but the JC-120 or JC-60 will get the job done. They're famous for being made for multi-effects. You can plug straight into the power amp.
I got some good guitars, yo.
the atomic amps with pods i´ve heard sound digital, really digital!
if you want to use your multi-fx, get a keyboard amp!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
the atomic amps with pods i´ve heard sound digital, really digital!
if you want to use your multi-fx, get a keyboard amp!

Possibly cause it's using a digital modeler in the preamp?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you could get one of those little P.A. systems.

I saw some about the size of a 2 x 12 made by peavey.. was like 400 bux.
just like an amp and you could then hook up direct to it without having to have an actual huge p.a. system.
Quote by TechnicolorType
you could get one of those little P.A. systems.

I saw some about the size of a 2 x 12 made by peavey.. was like 400 bux.
just like an amp and you could then hook up direct to it without having to have an actual huge p.a. system.

that will sound like ****
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by MatrixClaw
Possibly cause it's using a digital modeler in the preamp?

True that! Tubes or no its going to sound digital as it well is. It does help alot though as it has some wizardry that kills some of the fizz. No amp exists that will make a digital modeller sound organic. I still have no doubt its the best way to go if you insist on running a pod as the front end of your rig.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso