Page 1 of 3
GOTM June: Ibanez RG3120 Prestige

Since we haven’t had a “Guitar of the Month” in quite some time, I decided I’d give it a shot since I recently picked up an Ibanez RG3120 Prestige.

Features:

This is a 2001 RG3120 that came equip with the Lo-Pro Edge, which I believe was changed on the 2003 model to an Edge Pro.

* Solid Mahogany Body w/ AAA Flamed Maple Top

* 24 Jumbo-Fret Rosewood Fingerboard

* Locking Studs

* 3-Piece, Maple Wizard Neck (All Access Neck Joint)

* Ibanez Tuners

* Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge Tremolo Bridge

* DiMarzio Tone Zone and PAF Pro Pickups

* 1 Volume and 1 Tone Knobs, 5-Way Pickup Toggle

* Smooth-With-Body Input Jack

Quality:

Just looking at the guitar itself and noticing the “Prestige” on the headstock should show that the guitar is a quality instrument, however after plugging it in and getting a feel to it, it most definitely lives up to the expectation. Japanese-made, the fretwork on it is very nice, smooth with the fretboard with no sharp points poking out. The electronics are flawless, no pops when changing pickups and is grounded correctly, leaving my amp dead silent (which isn’t something I’d experienced before with any other guitar through it).

The guitar is also very heavy for something made for shred and metal, however, this is due to the solid-mahogany body. At least you know it’s not neck heavy and will dive on you!

I’d easily put this thing up against something two to three times its price, as I’m more than certain that it can hold its own against them.

Sound:

I certainly wasn’t expecting what I heard when I first plugged this guitar in, just when I thought my Mark IV couldn’t sound any better with the tubes that were in it, I was proved wrong.

The cleans on my Mark IV I’d always thought were sort of “eh” and too warm for my tastes, the PAF Pro really livens up the channel, getting those sparkling cleans I’ve heard of from the amp. I will even go as far as saying this guitar has MUCH better cleans than my Strat and any other single-coil equip guitar I’ve played through it. Leads through the PAF Pro are everything you’d want from it, nice and defined but thick and saturated.

I’ve always been a fan of the Tone Zone and this one is no different. The pickup really delivers in the gain department, great rhythm and lead tones (which I usually don’t use the bridge for lead, but it sounds nice!) for any style of music. Very versatile pickup.

I’ve never really been a fan of basswood or alder guitars, except maybe in strats, so when I saw that the guitar was made out of mahogany, I was very excited. The wood in the body really brings out the lows which I feel other woods lack.

Even through my TonePort UX2, which I normally practice with, it’s improved my sound dramatically, which isn’t something I’d expect through a modeling device.

Playability:

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the guitar was (obviously) the size of the neck, it’s very thin in comparison to my SG and Strat, which has always been my problem with the RG series from Ibanez (as I have pretty big hands). However, this guitar is very comfortable to me and plays like a dream.

Playing chords is a breeze with the jumbo frets and action can be lowered so low, without fret-buzz, with the Lo-Pro Edge that you barely have to touch the strings.

The Lo-Pro Edge can handle a ton of abuse and still stays in tune perfectly. By far the best tremolo I’ve ever used.

Overall:

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the guitar and it’s far surpassed my expectations. I was originally thinking I’d have to buy a higher end JEM to get the sound I wanted out of my guitar, but this thing is even better for 1/3 of the price! Not to mention the red flamed maple top is sexy as hell.

The guitar has lasted 7 years so far and has many years left in it. Ibanez makes a quality instrument, and this is no exception.

Ibanez doesn’t make an RG model with quite the same features anymore, the biggest of which all lack real DiMarzio pickups, which come stock on the RG3120. For something comparable from the company today, you’d be looking at spending around $2000 or even more. I picked mine up for $700.

If you ever get a chance to play one of these, I really encourage you to do so; you just might find your next guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 3, 2008,
I have the newer version of this guitar. Pretty much identical (RG3270) except it has an edge pro and a pair of paf pros with a blue velvet in the middle. Il agree with everything you say though. Its one awesome playing and sounding sounding axe which i hope will ast me many many years. My only gripe is the finish is rather fragile and it will ding easily. Mine lives in its case or on a wall hanger to avoid all accidents.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
very nice guitar and review. nice top on it, too.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Reminds me of the current J.customs. Nice!
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Wow!

That's an awesome guitar!
I love Ibanez's and this one is REALLY nice!!!
Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
A crap little half-size starter guitar

Pedals:
Digitech RP90

Amps:
Roland Cube 30X
A cheap 10W
Thats a really nice Guitar. im thinking about getting a Tone Zone in the bridge for my RG actually (Evo in the neck, if it fits) What kind of Styles do you think its Best for?

I really love the Flame top on this Guitar, its brilliant, reminds me a bit of one of the new J Customs, just without the Vine inlays.
Quote by which ones pink

Now you're reminding me how much I need new pickups in my RG lol.

+1. Me too...

Nice find, Matrix! I thought the TZ would sound muddy in mahogany, but I guess that's not the case...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by sum_ugly_man
More sexy pictures please.

Haha, I'll take some more tonight then, gotta charge the camera up, the batteries die really fast now for some reason, eventhough I charged them like last week and haven't even used it since

Quote by Tubyboulin
Thats a really nice Guitar. im thinking about getting a Tone Zone in the bridge for my RG actually (Evo in the neck, if it fits) What kind of Styles do you think its Best for?

The Tone Zone is a really versatile pickup. I actually "play" in 3 bands and use it in all of them.

One is a Death Metal band with some Hardcore elements, another is a classic/progressive rock band and the other is a pop-punk band. I think it sounds good for all of them, but I also have an amp that can do it all.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Nice find, Matrix! I thought the TZ would sound muddy in mahogany, but I guess that's not the case...

Yeah, definitely not. It was quite muddy doing tremolo picking on the 6th string, but all I had to do was raise the pickup a bit on that side and it cleared it right up!

I was planning on getting Evos in it, but I like the TZ, so I'll keep it. Whatever guitar I get next will probably get Evos so I can have the best of both worlds

*edit* Here's a small picture of the full body, I tried to put it in my first post but I had too many pictures and wouldn't allow it.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 1, 2008,
I just registered here because of this thread! I recently bought my first electric guitar (well, my first new guitar in about a decade, I had a big break from the axe to produce techno) to replace my old beloved RG750 from when I was a wee rocker, and it just so happens I fell in love with the RG3120 and picked up a mint one from eBay - it should get here in the next few days, I've read so many good reviews of this guitar, I'm so excited I could just pop, lol. Mines a 2002 Twilight Blue 'Fujin Factory' model.

Guitar prices in Australia are ludicrous btw, for the price of my mint 2nd hand RG3120 from the USA I could only have bought a brand new RG350DX locally. Ace looking guitar, but not a patch on the Prestige range.
Last edited by Ausgeno at Jun 2, 2008,
Btw OP, I believe the RG3120 has the Wizard neck, not the Wizard II as you've got listed, is that right?

I hope so anyway, its one of the reasons I chose it.
Quote by Ausgeno
Btw OP, I believe the RG3120 has the Wizard neck, not the Wizard II as you've got listed, is that right?

Yeah, it does have a Wizard neck, not sure why I wrote Wizard II, thanks for pointing that out!

Here's the catalogue from the year mine came out:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/2001/01015.jpg

I'll have some more picures up soon, been really busy the past few days so I haven't gotten a chance to take any more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Now that I think about it, the flame maple top probably adds enough treble to balance with the TZ...

My point is: is the PAF Pro brighter than most neck pickups, but still sounds like a neck humbucker pickup?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Here's the catalogue from the year mine came out:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/2001/01015.jpg

Awesome find, I've never seen that ad. I'll post picks of my Twilight Blue when it gets here too.

Do you know the story behind these pre-2003 models being made in the Fujin Factory and the post-2003 models being made elsewhere? I was told the Fujin Factory Ibanez are some of the best build quality they've ever made.

edit - Soz, "Fujigen" was the name of the factory I was looking for. Some details here:

http://jimshine.com/fuji/
Last edited by Ausgeno at Jun 4, 2008,
I got the same Trem (Lo-Pro) on my JEM and I love it. Best trem you can get by Ibanez IMO.
Really nice guitar man. If I get the S prestige, I'll have almost the same setup as you, lol. I also have a Mark IV.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Are the prestige Ibanez's made in Korea or Japan?

I was looking at an £800 S prestige, yet it was still Korean made for top dollar..
Yo Homes, To Belair
most of the Ss are korean, I think (there are a couple of exceptions- the 24 fret ones, i think). The prestige RGs are still japanese. I think, anyway.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Well my RG3120 finally arrived from the US so heres some pics as promised. First impressions are that it's simply sublime. The feel and action seems perfect, the pickups offer a really usable variety of tones and with loads of distortion dialled in they clean up beautifully when the volume is rolled off. Only problem is I busted the B over-tightening the locking nut (I assume, I cant feel a burr and the string doesnt look old) so I only got about 10 mins of playing in!! Gotta buy new strings tomorrow, can't believe I didn't think to grab some today. Anyway, heres the pics:

Shes even more beautiful in real life, the blue changes from really light to dark depending on the lighting and the natural binding contrasted with the dark back looks pure raunch imo. I've fallen instantly in love with this guitar, the build quality seems faultless and I just can't imagine getting anything better for the price locally....

It was US$900, with shipping and currency conversion it was about AUS$1100 landed. By comparison the RG1570 is AUS$2500 rec retail locally, although you can find it for AUS$1500 (source http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/ibanez/index.htm) I've played the RG1570, imo its a terrific guitar but I think the RG3120 is its superior so I'm just stoked to get my 2002 model in such excellent condition.

Last edited by Ausgeno at Jun 16, 2008,
that's very nice. i like blue guitars with maple tops a lot.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Nice! Really like that blue, but there's always been something about red that I like on guitars, unless it's just plain red, eww lol.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cheers, thought I'd post one more pic of the RG3120 before the month is over - here it is alongside the amp I've bought to go with it, they make a great sounding pair.

the floyd is sexy but i prefer the same guitar but the one with the two stripes i dont rember name lol but yea...
-PoWnNa-
Quote by Starguard
Well, this is a first.

Just got a splinter playing my guitar...
The body is almost identical to my Jackson Dinky, but pretty sweet review
Dream Theater FTW
i'm not a fan of ibanez's but that one looks quite nice. it was a great review and tbh, i think its the first guitar i've ever seen with a mahogany body.
Quote by MatrixClaw
GOTM June: Ibanez RG3120 Prestige

Hi, I'm just curious why you stringed it through in reverse?
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
U.G really sucks at the whole new gotm every month thing.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Page 1 of 3