Hey all, I just joined because I'm pretty new at guitar and I'm thinking about getting a new one. Nothing special just something between 200 and 500 dollars. Something with a metal sound, maybe a ESP brand or something like that. But again, I'm pretty new at this and I was wondering what you would recommend? Much thanks to any suggestions.
I'm taking musician's friend prices now, but for that money I'd go either for a jackson (dinky, the strat ish model) or a RR3 if you can find it for that money, either that or an Ibanez (and if you're one of those people who don't like Ibanez stock pickups, save up some money and swap em for EMG's/DiMarzio's/Seymour Duncan's)

On the ESP branch, well you COULD opt for the LTD with that price, but it'd get you the real basic level so it'll do for now, but pretty soon (depending on your progress rate) you'll wear em out.

what you could also do is look for a BC rich, they got pretty decent guitars for that price range aswell. But they aren't something everyone likes, so yeah, it's optional.

Safe betting, opt for the ibanez Dinky/rhoads or an Ibanez RG.
Last edited by Slicer666 at May 28, 2008,
I'm pretty sure there's a section in the forum things for this kinda question.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
Ok, I have a few more questions to ask before i recommend something to you. Do play metal exclusively? Or do you also play other styles of music? Would you want a Floyd Rose bridge or a locking bridge? And what is your current amp and guitar setup?
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Thanks, I was thinking about a B.C. Rich because the store near my house has a few for 300 and some 100 dollar amps. I'm not picky, even on looks. I mean it's going to be my third guitar, which my first two were generic strats.
I have a Tanara or something, and my amp is called Lion something. Their both old and generic. I would like more of a metal sound, but I listen to alot of alternative types of music. (please don't flame) Things like A7X all the way into metal stuff like Devildriver... My setup can't manage to sound nothing like any songs I try to play though.
Last edited by Mr.Fix it at May 28, 2008,
Oh ok, well if you wouldnt mind a strat style shape then i would recommend the schecter damien 6 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=513102

Schecter guitars are very versatile - but before buying any guitar you should try it to see if it fits your style. Plus, as you said, you play stuff like A7X and they use schecter guitars. Is your $500 budget including an amp and a guitar?
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
Yeah I was hoping to get both in the 500 dollar range. But, if the guitar comes to 500 itself I would be willing to pay for the amp too. Although, I really just want something thats better for a learner who is sick of generic guitars. Thanks though, if they have any models like that I'll try it since they allow you to before buying it. (I'd hope all stores did though)
Yeah I had the same problem when I bought my last guitar because I wanted to get something that looked different because I had two strat style guitars. But then I thought why do I want a different style guitar when I find it easy to play on a strat style guitar? So I got a schecter omen with a flame maple finish which looks pretty sweet, but not generic even though it was a strat style style - I can't find the one with that finish on the guitar center or musicians friend websites for some reason though. Amp wise i'm not much of an expert really, and I'm actually looking for an amp myself at the moment. Haha I don't know much about amps just whether they sound good or not lol.
Quote by thegreensquall
Yeah, I like strats anyway. I mean, it's better then nothing and it's not like they look bad. My buddy has a problem with that. He wants a B.C. Rich Warbeast. They have a really metal look and all, but if he had a choice between it and a really expensive strat I think he'd take the Rich. Eventually I want a Jackson V model, but when I get one I'll be ready to pay thousands. I think Marshal makes good amps. I might go with one of them, or I'll ask someone at the shop. My friend is using my other strat, it's the same brand as the amp I have. But he has a marshal amp and it makes such a difference.
*Leaves thread after seeing ESP*

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

If I was in your state, I would get one item only as opposed both an amp and a guitar; $500 isn't an awesome budget and to split it 50:50 means you're bound to get mediocre guitars and amps. If there is a guitar store nearby you, I'm very sure they can order in guitars they don't have in stock for you, don't be limited by what they have. On the other hand, I advise taking your sweet time in the store and trying out as many different guitars and amps as possible. Don't be close minded about brands, you need every help as possible.

Anyway, a few suggestions...

LTD FX-260

Usually I don't recommend LTD guitars below the 400 series but this one seems alright specs wise; mahogany body with a spalted maple top. It's within budget as well, and you can swap out those pickups for some decent ones in the future.

Schecter Damien

Ibanez S320