Hey guys, I was thinking about this recently and wondered what other people thought of it.

I thought that maybe music taste could be affected by location, groups associated with, etc etc. It's hard to explain, but I think all these things could affect music taste. Such as, people are introduced to many different artists from friends, so if you're associated with maybe the "cooler" lot at school you may be introduced to urban and rap artists, because they supposedly make you look cooler (we all know this is not true, but to them they may think this), or if you were associated with the few people who sit at the corner and wear band shirts all the time out of school, you may be introduced to more of the genres of rock and metal.

Also, maybe location or even occupation will have people who generally listen to a certain genre? Smart job, maybe would find a lot of songs we like to harsh and maybe even somewhat childish, or a crack dealer might listen to urban, etc, like the "cool" kids.

A real life example was a week ago when my family's car got broken into, they stole all the change (30c) and all the CD's (mostly Muse and Dream Theater) apart from my sister's Pink CD. Do those who steal have a good music taste?

Yes, I know music taste is opinionated, and these are all generalizations, but do you think these factors actually affect music taste in general?

EDIT: Fixed effect for Soulfly because I love his tits.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Last edited by Dillona at May 28, 2008,
Something like that. It is all about how you have been affected by others and what you yourself have shown interest in. I have a lot of friends who have tried to pull me in different directions (specifically hardcore/posicore and black metal), but I've always been more interested in death metal and classical.

Quote by soulflyV
*affects

hai therie gramer naazee
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
What the music sounds like and if you like that sound.

/thread
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
What affects my music taste is how creative the music is and how generic it isn't.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Thetans and Medichlorians.

also, radiation from nuclear testing, and government brainwashing rays.
I have no opinion on this matter.
i've grown up with ppls listening to only trance, techno, rap, hiphop and that kinda bull, and i listen to all kinds of metal, (No Cores.. ) blues, rock and so on:O
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
How open minded one is, they're technical understanding of music, and what they are exposed to.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
Quote by bequickorbedead
People just listen to the music which pisses off their parents the most.

My dad likes Pink Floyd!

<.<

>.>

You're just another brick in the wall
Intelligence.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
Quote by gonzaw
Nurture and Nature

/thread

Double /thread.

Even though that is a bit vague, since nearly every personality trait is formed by Nature and Nurture.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm drawn to music with raw emotion because it just seems the most real to me and the most genuine. I can't say what's so good about it, it just evokes so much emotion and I love that.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Dillona

A real life example was a week ago when my family's car got broken into, they stole all the change (30c) and all the CD's (mostly Muse and Dream Theater) apart from my sister's Pink CD. Do those who steal have a good music taste?

Muse and Dream Theator? Geeze that guy sounds like he's a UGer
Quote by bequickorbedead
Okay, what pisses off their mother the most...

My mother likes pink floyd. No lies

has no signature.
Quote by StreetLight3989
I'm drawn to music with raw emotion because it just seems the most real to me and the most genuine. I can't say what's so good about it, it just evokes so much emotion and I love that.

+1. None of the music I listen to is really complex or technical.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by Zugunruhe
Thetans and Medichlorians.

also, radiation from nuclear testing, and government brainwashing rays.

And Jedi mind tricks.
Intelligence, character, the surrounding environment, culture.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by InvaderTSN
And Jedi mind tricks.

Those guys are AWESOME. The big rapper always seems really mad, though.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Well, I'm from a middle class white beach town, and then when I was eight, I moved to a slightly more middle class white beach town. My father is a classical musician and he started me off learning piano at four, and that's probably why I listen to classical music.

I don't understand how my upbringing could contribute to me listening to rap. There's no rap culture here, but for some reason I love the music, the films, and the video-games.

I don't think it's got anything to do with those things. They can only really affect what you are exposed to, therefore have some control over your tastes, if you don't have any interest in finding new material.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
Well, I'm from a middle class white beach town, and then when I was eight, I moved to a slightly more middle class white beach town. My father is a classical musician and he started me off learning piano at four, and that's probably why I listen to classical music.

I don't understand how my upbringing could contribute to me listening to rap. There's no rap culture here, but for some reason I love the music, the films, and the video-games.

I don't think it's got anything to do with those things. They can only really affect what you are exposed to, therefore have some control over your tastes, if you don't have any interest in finding new material.

It is because skinny pale people all have a fantasy of being sexy black rappers who get all kinds of bling and women and stuff. Trust me, I know from experience.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Open mindedness. If you open you mind, you can find something you like in any genre.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
My "location" where I got all my music influence was rock 101 >> fajha >> UG >> last.fm in that order.
Emotions
"Even though I've found God, I still love blow jobs, and I still say fuck." - Dave Mustaine

You know, when you, like, you grab a woman's breast and it's... and you feel it and... it feels like a bag of sand when you're touching it.