I was wondering what kind of techniques people on this forum use for dampening strings. I typically use my index finger tip to dampen the string above where i'm playing. i also use my palm/bottom of thumb to dampen the lower strings when i'm playing on the higher strings. The problem is I don't seem to be able to stop unwanted string noise all the time. Any suggestions? Any strategies I'm missing?

and i am being a bit of a perfectionist.
you need to be a bit of a perfectionist.
having said that i don't actually remember exactly what i do to stop string noise @_@
If you're picking, either mute with a free left finger, or quickly palm mute with your right hand. If you're playing classical, fingerstyle, or finger picked, you usually mute with your right thumb.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
be a perfectionist and be creative, if you have any flesh that you're not using to play use it to mute =)

Something that changed my sound a lot was when I started moving around my right hand more, sort of tipping it and that way I am always able to mute whichever string i want by just changing the angle of my hand... sort of hard to explain but when you get such a thing down all of your playing becomes a lot better

cheers
thanks guys, your advice has helped me alot. it almost seems like i have to "re-learn" my technique in order to incorporate the picking. it's cool though, it's coming quickly.
I use a combination of muting with the fatty part of the hand at the base of the thumb and my left hand. My left fingers are always muting when they're not fretting.
if your not using any open notes, you can tie a bandanna/sock around the first fret. try not to get into a habbit of using it though.
just to give you an update, after about three days of really concentrating on muting notes it's all coming second nature to me. My licks and lines are 100% clean at about 60% of my original speed and i'm just slowly working my way up. further more, it's really opened up my eyes to the dynamics between the left and right hands. bloody amazing.

one final question: when i bend notes i occasionally sound the string above (or below) the adjacent string i.e. bending on 2nd string i accidentally sound the 4th string. would this be something to mute with my picking hand or fretting hand? i can't quite workout how to do it with my fretting hand without being ridiculously acrobatic.
Quote by sisuphi

one final question: when i bend notes i occasionally sound the string above (or below) the adjacent string i.e. bending on 2nd string i accidentally sound the 4th string. would this be something to mute with my picking hand or fretting hand? i can't quite workout how to do it with my fretting hand without being ridiculously acrobatic.

If you're not playing on your fingertips this will tend to happen more. It will help
avoid hitting the lower string, and allow you to mute the upper string more easily
when your bend goes into the other string and "pushes it out of the way".