Page 1 of 2
I know its really long but I believe all UGers need to read this.

My Chemical Romance have responded to claims that their music somehow inspired a 13 year-old UK girl to commit suicide. Earlier this month an inquest was held where the girl's parents and coroner Roger Sykes testified that the girl, Hannah Bond, was influenced by her love of emo music, specifically My Chemical Romance.

It was also revealed that the girl had a history of self-harm, her father said that Bond had hurt herself before and claimed that it was an emo initiation ceremony. The coroner Sykes testified, "the emo overtones concerning death and associating it with glamour I find very disturbing." The girl reportedly told online friends of her plans to hang herself and live on in the afterlife as a member of "The Black Parade" - the title of a My Chemical Romance album.
The band has responded to this story with this statement: "We have recently learned of the suicide and tragic loss of Hannah Bond. We'd like to send our condolences to her family during this time of mourning. Our hearts and thoughts are with them. My Chemical Romance are and always have been vocally anti-violence and anti-suicide. As a band, we have always made it one of our missions through our actions to provide comfort, support, and solace to our fans.

"The message and theme of our album 'The Black Parade' is hope and courage. Our lyrics are about finding the strength to keep living through pain and hard times. The last song on our album states: 'I am not afraid to keep on living' – a sentiment that embodies the band's position on hardships we all face as human beings.

"If you or anyone that you know have feelings of depression or suicide, we urge you to find your way and your voice to deal with these feelings positively."

Short editorial comment: While anyone would feel for the parents of a teenager that takes their own life, this isn't the first time where a suicide has been blamed on music. If music truly was the cause of suicide then millions of teenagers would be inspired to kill themselves each year. There are usually other mitigating factors that lead children to resort to suicide. Often times a mental disorder. In this case, the girl had a history of hurting herself and apparently fantasized about committing suicide. Take the case where Ozzy Osbourne was sued by parents who blamed his song "Suicide Solution" for inspiring their son, John McCollum, to shoot himself. McCollum reportedly suffered from clinical depression.

Coolnurse.com had this to say about teen suicide: Suicide is the second leading cause of death among people between the ages of 14 to 25 in the United States. The following statistics were taken from a recent survey of college and high school students by the CDC.

Twenty-seven percent of high school students said they had "thought seriously" about killing themselves during the past year. Eight percent said they had actually tried to kill themselves.

Ten percent of U.S. college students admitted serious thoughts about suicide. Seven percent had a suicide plan.

More than 30,000 Americans commit suicide each year, and 5,000 of these people are teenagers.

Although one of every eight teenagers suffers with depression, the diagnosis is often missed, as depressive symptoms are often mistaken for the typical 'ups and downs' of teenage life. Even in societies where suicide is illegal or taboo, people still kill themselves.

Most suicides occur in the home between the hours of 3 PM to midnight. There are 30 to 50 times as many attempted suicides as completed suicides. Four times as many males complete suicide than females, but female teens attempt suicide twice as frequently as male teenagers.

People who talk about suicide often commit suicide. All talk about suicide should be taken seriously. People often have opposing feelings about whether or not they want to die, so there is always hope that they can change their minds if they receive professional help.

Discuss. Or go take a break from the eye straining reading and then come back and discuss.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Old news
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
"OMG! MY SON GOT HIT BY A CAR! ITS MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE'S FAULT"
*end sarcasm*

dude, its just like the marilyn manson thing.

a load of bs, i say.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Last edited by reaper_x at May 28, 2008,
Quote by reaper_x
"OMG! MY SONG GOT HIT BY A CAR! ITS MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE'S FAULT"
*end sarcasm*

dude, its just like the marilyn manson thing.

a load of bs, i say.

You're song?

Funny thing is, *Chan is behind it all

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
*shrugs*

its too bad really.. It saddens me that a kid would take their life before it even starts.

especially for some sort of self deluded fantasy that they construed in their own minds from a trendy pop bands' lyrics.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Aye, old.

I believe the new stick MCR are getting is the Daily Mail article.

I suggest you look up "Operation Jewtube"
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're song?

Funny thing is, *Chan is behind it all

SON! I MEANT SON!

lol.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
Quote by breakstuff
People who talk about suicide often commit suicide.

BS. That is wrong.

99.999 percent of people who commit suicide say absolutely nothing about how they're feeling. It's only the attention seeking ones who say something, and they often never go through with it anyway.

That's why families are shocked. "He seemed fine" etc.

Please, if you're going to talk about something serious like suicide, get your facts straight.
Your child killed themselves and you can't accept responsibility for it.
Quick! A musical fad! Call in the lawyers!

I read the daily mail article posted on here about this case. Apparently, the girl had told her mother that she was feeling suicidal, and mother dearest sent her to bed.
The teenager turned to her and said: "I feel like killing myself."

Breaking down in tears, Mrs Bond told the inquest: "I think I said: 'Don't be so silly, we'll talk about it in the morning.'"

What kind of response is that?
She would have killed herself anyway, Emo, indie, punk or otherwise.
It Pisses me off when this happens.
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Xplozive
Once I was pissing in the kitchen sink when I'd had a few and my friend walked in and goes wtf.

Once I was pissing in my friend when a few had I'd and my sink wtf goes in and walked.
Though its obviously not MCR's fault...

I still don't like their music. :P
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
Old news. And werent Priest blamed for a suicide semi-recently? I thaught i read that the lyrics in one their songs is "Do it, Do it, Do it" and the parents claimed this inspired two male youths (i cant remember if they were teenage or older) to shoot each other? I dont rmember if it was Priest exactly. But that was the general gist. Personally id be more offened at Priest being accused of causing someone to commit suicide then MCR.
Quote by Blackvelvet
Old news. And werent Priest blamed for a suicide semi-recently? I thaught i read that the lyrics in one their songs is "Do it, Do it, Do it" and the parents claimed this inspired two male youths (i cant remember if they were teenage or older) to shoot each other? I dont rmember if it was Priest exactly. But that was the general gist. Personally id be more offened at Priest being accused of causing someone to commit suicide then MCR.

not really recently.. back in the 80's

but yea.. it was the whole back-masking thing..

the song "better by you, better than me" coincidentally had a backwards phrase "do it do it do it" somewhere in there, and the prosecutor insisted that the band had put that message in there in an attempt to cause people to kill themselves.

it has been proven that back masking does not soak into your subconscious and make you unable to "obey the commands"

also.. "do it" could mean anything.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
There was a thread about this.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860673&highlight=sinister+cult

there's actually going to be a protest by fans at the daily mail offices in london on 31st May.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
MCR doesn't talk about suicide.

I like MCR and I've never heard the mentioning of death or suicide.
Quote by hugh20
There was a thread about this.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860673&highlight=sinister+cult

there's actually going to be a protest by fans at the daily mail offices in london on 31st May.

I will be watching the news intently that day
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

Ask yourselves, HOW MANY TEENAGERS LISTEN TO MCR?

Millions, could their be that one chance? ....nahhh.

EDIT: Blaming music is a cheap shot, but thinking for yourself isnt.
Last edited by grunger at May 28, 2008,
The parents are just looking for an excuse becuase they did not do the right thing.
I dont love/hate mcr, all I know is that a band cant kill somone

Blaming a band for a kid committing suicide is pushing it. I wont deny that a band can have a lot of influence on people, not just on how they act towards the band, but also on how they think about other things as well, things they say, things they do. I wont even deny that a band's influence is capable of making people do drastic things, like rioting for example.

But, this influence can only cause people to do these drastic things if it's unhindered, and left to be the the dominant influence. If the music causes the kid to commit suicide, I think it's a sign that the music had much more affect on the kid's life than the parents did, which shows a failure of the parents. Parents shouldn't totally control their kids, but they should be able to intervene before serious things like this happen, as long as the kids are in the parents' care.
i dont think anyone could deny the overtones around the girls suicide. i saw my chemical romance once. i'm not a fan, but ticket was one the cheap so I went and saw the black parade tour. and the album sucks, but theres alot of funeral proccesion imagery through the whole thing. they do glorify the whole dying and funeral after alot. that said, she was probably previously very depressed originally and just latched onto the album. if it wasnt MCR it would probably be something else.
Quote by Kivarenn82
not really recently.. back in the 80's

but yea.. it was the whole back-masking thing..

the song "better by you, better than me" coincidentally had a backwards phrase "do it do it do it" somewhere in there, and the prosecutor insisted that the band had put that message in there in an attempt to cause people to kill themselves.

it has been proven that back masking does not soak into your subconscious and make you unable to "obey the commands"

also.. "do it" could mean anything.

Yeah Im pretty sure that what it was. But was there like another recent development in it? Like in around the last 3 years? Coz im sure i read it in Metal Hammer and i havnt been reading Hammer that long.
Four times as many males complete suicide than females, but female teens attempt suicide twice as frequently as male teenagers.

I quite enjoy this statistic. Is that statistical proof of how big attention whores teenage girls are?
Quote by hugh20

good, im glad people are gonna stand up against bull**** like this
i know that its tragic that this girl has killed herself but blaming it on a style of music and fashion clearly represents a family scapegoating an innocent party to try and wash the blood from their own hands. Apparently the girl had been cutting herself before this and still the parents did nothing? to me that represents child neglect and if anyone should be blamed it is the parents,
this is one of the biggest scaremongering attempts against rock fans. It seems that rock is always blamed for a tragedy: Marilyn Manson did not pull the trigger at columbine and My Chemical Romance did not tie the noose round this girls neck
This is absolute BS. It's finding a scapegoat for the parents own irresponsibility. The kid said to her mother she felt like killing herself, and her mother called her silly and that theyd talk about it in the morning. That's extreme negligence. What if she had said "I feel like going on a killing spree" or "I feel like stealing a car and going for a joy ride", would her mother have said the same thing and then the girl go out and do those things, would they still blame the music?
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Def
i dont think anyone could deny the overtones around the girls suicide. i saw my chemical romance once. i'm not a fan, but ticket was one the cheap so I went and saw the black parade tour. and the album sucks, but theres alot of funeral proccesion imagery through the whole thing. they do glorify the whole dying and funeral after alot. that said, she was probably previously very depressed originally and just latched onto the album. if it wasnt MCR it would probably be something else.

I think its obvious to older/mature people that the album/live shows were all based around a concept. There is alot of entertainment related to death (broadway, movies, Plays)
There are too many younger kids involved in thing thier too young to deal with and often get the wrong end of the stick.

Quote by lolcats
BS. That is wrong.

99.999 percent of people who commit suicide say absolutely nothing about how they're feeling. It's only the attention seeking ones who say something, and they often never go through with it anyway.

Please, if you're going to talk about something serious like suicide, get your facts straight.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but if you're going to make such a bold statement, at least cite your sources.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Ichimaru
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but if you're going to make such a bold statement, at least cite your sources.

Does a therapist with a phd count?

I mean that in the most unsarcastic way possible.

Suicide has been a big issue for me all my life, whether myself or others around me, I'm just saying I know from experience is all.

Take it or leave it.
to be honest, as much as I dislike MCR, I think passing the buck for a teenager's suicide onto them is a bit much frankly

Imagine the guilt (probably) involved for the members of the band- just ain't necessary.
"Their eyes, black in kingdoms of gold, like the rocks of this desert, where we wander in circles, tails up the ass of time..."
Quote by lolcats
Does a therapist with a phd count?

I mean that in the most unsarcastic way possible.

Suicide has been a big issue for me all my life, whether myself or others around me, I'm just saying I know from experience is all.

Take it or leave it.

Ah. I see you cited your sources. Excellent job of making your argument all the more believable.
Your experiences mean nothing on a nationwide scale. The fact is you haven't provided sources, you haven't provided statistics and you haven't proven anything except you can't answer a direct question.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
On top of that, there would be a million other reasons influencing her suicide.

By the way, MCR FTW.
I like MCR, yeah yeah whatever *shrugs*, but i'm not emo, i'm pretty normal, i don't cut myself up, go all crazy with black and what not, i'm not even really sure how to be emo, and i've never ever thought about killing myself after listening to MCR, the girl kept hurting herself and her parents just let it go?? they should have seriously kept a closer eye on her, got professional help or something if she really believed in the 'black parade' , but c'mon blaming MCR for this is just plain stupid. This is just like blaming games and movies when a someone goes on a shooting ramage, people should know what's right or wrong, or well what's sane and what's not. I know it may sound heartless but seriously how can people let music influence them to the point of suicide??
Quote by 100Roy001
I used to have sex with dolls.
When I was really young, though.

Like, 26 or something.

Four times as many males complete suicide than females, but female teens attempt suicide twice as frequently as male teens

figures
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
She wanted to become a member of the Black Parade in the afterlife?????

WTF
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
good, im glad people are gonna stand up against bull**** like this
i know that its tragic that this girl has killed herself but blaming it on a style of music and fashion clearly represents a family scapegoating an innocent party to try and wash the blood from their own hands. Apparently the girl had been cutting herself before this and still the parents did nothing? to me that represents child neglect and if anyone should be blamed it is the parents,
this is one of the biggest scaremongering attempts against rock fans. It seems that rock is always blamed for a tragedy: Marilyn Manson did not pull the trigger at columbine and My Chemical Romance did not tie the noose round this girls neck

They're not standing up.. There's gona be a mass suicide apparently.

Also her death wasn't MCR's fault. Every (well nearly every) MCR fan think MCR encourage self harm etc. etc. when in fact they do the opposite. (oh god I'm actually defending MCR)
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Last edited by Oblivion_Rps at May 28, 2008,
Quote by Aidy Damage
This is madness!

BITCH PLEASE!

THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

had to be done
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Quote by lolcats
BS. That is wrong.

Uhhhh...
a) They're more informed than you.
b) They have more resources than you.
c) You're a sh!t-talker on an online forum.

That said, I agree with you on that note.
Gore AND Core; unite!
Quote by lolcats
BS. That is wrong.

Actually, he was right, about 98% of people who commit suicide mention their plans to someone, not necessarily family, and they can seem fine to just about everyone. More often than not it's their friends who would know if they're planning to kill themselves, because, seriously, who do kids spend more time with, family? Or friends?
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
i hate people saying stuff about mcr and general music. it really angers me. its like they are just trying to blame it on something they can get away with. =|
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
They're not standing up.. There's gona be a mass suicide apparently.

Also her death wasn't MCR's fault. Every (well nearly every) MCR fan think MCR encourage self harm etc. etc. when in fact they do the opposite. (oh god I'm actually defending MCR)

:stickpoke

Well, although many other mcr fans may feel that they promote self harm, it's true that they aim to help prevent this, but, unfortunately, many misconstrue their lyrics, the black parade isn't about glorifying a place beyond death, it's about rememberance of those gone before, and still living on.
If you break a world speed record for a video game, are you a winner, or just someone who REALLY needs to go outside?

Quote by AdemaOnYourHead
My favorite Pokemon is still Dave Mustaine.
Page 1 of 2