Page 1 of 6
is the parrot "langfords basilisk" picture real? or a troll?

my friend just showed it to me.. and apparently in three days my brain will "clash"
Quote by flipthatchicken
what is this you speak of? show me.

nooo you don't want to see it...your brain will clash in 3 days if you look at it! omg!
i don't want to post it, in case we all end up vegetables.. but if you really want to see it google image "langfords basilisk" i think its the first result..

read the caption before you stare at the picture so you know what it is

edit: it doesn't specifically say your brain will clash in three days, it says that it will take several days to come into effect, where then the two sides of your brain clash when you try to remember what it looked like.. or something like that anyway.
Last edited by ralph wiggum at May 28, 2008,
is it real, cause i wanna look at it but i am afraid that my mind will crash in 3 days lol
Quote by bassmanjoe08
If only you guys could see my computer room after I read this news...
Shit...seamen...drool...ravioli...EVERYWHERE!!!
Quote by ralph wiggum
i don't want to post it, in case we all end up vegetables.. but if you really want to see it google image "langfords basilisk" i think its the first result..

its forbidden.
Quote by ralph wiggum

Google failed me. Post it here.

If my brain locks up in three days, I'll post & tell you.
Yeah the picture didn't work so save it and post it in this thread.

NAOW!
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
So if I look at this picture I die?

Pretty awesome I guess. I now know what is going to be the front cover of a new album I am releasing.
Post the picture! we don't mind if our brains will clash in 3 days!
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
"A number of Langford's stories are set in a future containing images, colloquially called "basilisks", which crash the human mind by triggering thoughts that the mind is physically or logically incapable of thinking."

wait a second... there's more.

lol.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Dammit soulflyV beat me to it!
By just 2 minutes.

Well, I didn't waste my time looking for it so I'm posting the link anyway!
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/parrot.jpg
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
OK so we meet back here in 3 days and report any "mind crashes."

Deal?

EDIT: Wikipedia says:

Basilisks
A number of Langford's stories are set in a future containing images, colloquially called "basilisks", which crash the human mind by triggering thoughts that the mind is physically or logically incapable of thinking. The first of these stories was "BLIT" (Interzone, 1988); others include "What Happened at Cambridge IV" (Digital Dreams, 1990); "comp.basilisk FAQ" (Nature, 1999), and the Hugo-winning "Different Kinds of Darkness" (F&SF, 2000).

The idea, a form of the motif of harmful sensation, has appeared elsewhere; in one of his novels, Ken MacLeod has characters explicitly mention (and worry about encountering) the "Langford Visual Hack". Similar references, also mentioning Langford by name, feature in works by Greg Egan and Charles Stross. The titular Snow Crash of Neal Stephenson's novel is a combination mental/computer virus capable of infecting the minds of hackers via their visual cortex. The idea also appears in Blindsight by Peter Watts where a particular combination of right angles is a harmful image to vampires.

A related idea, the fracter, a fractal image with psycho-active effects, occurs as a key plot element in Ian McDonald's 1994 novella Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone.

A similar mandala concept also appears in the book Tetrach by Alex Comfort, causing effects such as encouraging self-healing or preventing the ability to target an object in combat.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at May 28, 2008,
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
OK so we meet back here in 3 days and report any "mind crashes."

Deal?

i dont think it is that simple, i think you either have to look at it once a day or have some sort of link to it in your memory.
personally i done see whats so shocking about it.
Quote by ordinary_story

Dammit! Its nots loading!

EDIT: Its not the real thing, its just a scalled down version so our brains don't "crash".
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
To me its very simple to remember, but it looks more like a rose than a parrot to me. If anyones mind crashes or whatever it should do, please explain the experience upon reboot.
Teh Gear:
Squier Affinity Fat Strat
Digitech RP-350
Roland PA-250
Old custom made 1x12" cab x2

No. 1 Digitech RP-350 recommender

Linux users UNITE ! ! !

I WANT THIS ! ! !
Quote by eldanny
Dammit! Its nots loading!

EDIT: Its not the real thing, its just a scalled down version so our brains don't "crash".

It's ok, I've rehosted the full size version for you.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices