I recently bought my first tube amp and am wondering if it's worth replacing the stock tubes with some aftermarket ones. It's a Crate Palomino 30W head and i'm not sure what tubes came in it (they're in this wierd cage).

Preamp Tubes: (3) 12AX7A
Power Amp Tubes: (4) EL84

any input would be great.
you could replace them, and it will improve the sound (quite a lot i reckon).

check the 'ultimate tubes thread'.
Quote by The red Strat.
you could replace them, and it will improve the sound (quite a lot i reckon).

check the 'ultimate tubes thread'.

I read through a lot of it. I didnt really gather whether or not stock tubes are usually bull****.
they usually aren't too good, but there are exeptions. coudl you look at the tubes and tell us what's the make ? that would help to see if they're decent.
It never hurts to change them out right away... at least then you have the stock ones if something ever happens and you need a change quickly (during a gig)

But if you are just bedroom playing and are pretty happy with the sound, then you could just leave them. You dont HAVE to change them, but you will notice a difference
Quote by stangconv
It never hurts to change them out right away... at least then you have the stock ones if something ever happens and you need a change quickly (during a gig)

But if you are just bedroom playing and are pretty happy with the sound, then you could just leave them. You dont HAVE to change them, but you will notice a difference

I do like the sound pretty well, i think the overdrive could sound a little brighter.
i've had it afor about a month. i've been paying with it a lot, but it's like something's missing like a layer of sound or something. it's kinda hard to describe. dont get me wrong, i'm really happy with the purchase, i'm just trying to get the most out of it.
Quote by stangconv

+1

Spare tubes are a good thing to have, and the best way to get spares -IMHO- is to upgrade the tubes you have. The Palomino probably didn't come with the highest end tubes to begin with, so you could find a nice improvement in your sound with a swap.

And yeah, the Everything/Tubes thread is a good place to get suggestions. Or contact a reputable dealer (I like Doug's Tubes), and tell him what you're looking for. Off the top of my head, JJ or Ei EL84's and Tung-sol 12AX7's would be a good start.

Also, the biggest, most effective upgrade you can do with any amp is to change out the speaker. Something to consider.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
if it aint broke then dont fix it, atleast thats my opinion. if you like how it sounds now, why even change it?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by slatsmania
+1

Spare tubes are a good thing to have, and the best way to get spares -IMHO- is to upgrade the tubes you have. The Palomino probably didn't come with the highest end tubes to begin with, so you could find a nice improvement in your sound with a swap.

And yeah, the Everything/Tubes thread is a good place to get suggestions. Or contact a reputable dealer (I like Doug's Tubes), and tell him what you're looking for. Off the top of my head, JJ or Ei EL84's and Tung-sol 12AX7's would be a good start.

Also, the biggest, most effective upgrade you can do with any amp is to change out the speaker. Something to consider.

the speakers in the cab are celestions. i know most crate speaker cabs are ****, and i'm not sure if they contracted celestion to make some garbage for the cab i have, but i've always been told that celestion makes really good speakers.
Quote by bigdaddybrad
the speakers in the cab are celestions. i know most crate speaker cabs are ****, and i'm not sure if they contracted celestion to make some garbage for the cab i have, but i've always been told that celestion makes really good speakers.

The Celestions that make their way into lower end combos are a lot different than the speakers they put labels on. My son has the Palomino V16. It has one of those Celestons in it. It's decent. I really like the amp overall. But there's no doubt in my mind that we could improve it with a speaker swap. A Celestion Greenback, an Alnico Blue - or one of the many lower priced clones.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by bigdaddybrad
i've had it afor about a month. i've been paying with it a lot, but it's like something's missing like a layer of sound or something. it's kinda hard to describe. dont get me wrong, i'm really happy with the purchase, i'm just trying to get the most out of it.

I have the V32 Head (brand new), which is the same thing (but without the speaker). The "missing layer of sound" rings a bell with me. I have the exact same problem. The amp will fade in and out sometimes. I reseated the tubes and now I am getting what sounds like the problem you are having. It is like the low end fades out. The fullness disappears. This happens for a few seconds (20 to 60 typically) then it returns to normal.

I am going to take the V32 in to have it checked (still under warranty luckily).

By the way, my V32 came with SovTek tubes (both power and preamp). I upgraded the V1 preamp tube to improve the sound and in hopes to eliminate the problem -- but I didn't have any luck. It could be one of the other tubes is bad. All mine have passed the tap test (i.e., microphonic), but you never know until you get them tested.

I will let you know what the service guys say when I take it in. Probably be early next week.

Good luck !

Stretch
Most Crates come with Sovteks, which are "alright" or "meh", depending on what you're comparing them to.

I think you might be better off with a speaker upgrade, if you want to improve your tone.