just recently ive started practicing new riffs against a drum machine.
but when i come to play triplets i get lost.
i cant seem to play the 3 notes against the 4 beats of the drum machine.
anyone got any advice?
Slow it down the temp and try playing three even notes in between each beat. Speed up tempo. Start at 40, increase to 50, increase to 80, increase to 90(standard rock tempo), then increase to 100 and then 110, then finally 120, and if you are daring, ultimately to 140.
Once you can play clearly at a given speed, increase it. Try playing different triplet licks though to make it more interesting and also to make sure you aren't simply learning a motion rather than how to play that set of notes. I will make up an exercise for you if you want.
Count it out with words before you start playing to get a handle on the triplet feel. Try something like this:

BEAT       BEAT       BEAT        BEAT
Trip-a-let-trip-a-let-trip-a-let-trip-a-let

Or alternatively, one-two-three-one-two-three or whatever suits you.
thanks for the help, i will try these when i get home tonight.

cheers
When playing rhythms against somethng else, know where the beat is, and ignore what's happening in the beat (by extension, for longer polyrhythms, you know where '1' is, and ignore everything else). So if you've got a drum machine playing in 16ths and you're going to play 8th note triplets against it, know where the beat is and use the drum machine to keep track of it, and then focus on your own line, and ignore the other one until you want to line up again.

Also, protip: If you really need to learn how 3:4 feels rhythmically, tap it on alternating hands as "kick the god-damn buck-et", both hands on "kick".
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
yeah you don't play 3 notes along with the 4 beats of the metronome

you play 3 notes for EACH of the 4 beats of the metronome.. what you're trying is not a triplet lol
Quote by trashbeast
yeah you don't play 3 notes along with the 4 beats of the metronome

you play 3 notes for EACH of the 4 beats of the metronome.. what you're trying is not a triplet lol

yes its still a triplet. He was trying to play half note triplets, you're thinking of eigth note triplets. Eigth note triplets are most common, but quarter and half note triplets still occur alot.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
half note triplets still occur alot.
I've never seen one.

It theoretically exists, but I have yet to use it.

My guess is the that TS was trying for 8th note triplets but didn't understand the rhythmic concept.
^really? I see them in classical music a bunch. usually not if its a slower tempo, but faster tempos sure.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
It's very hard to play 3 notes in the space of 4 beats.

You could just set your drum machine 4 times slower then play 3 notes to every 1 beat, which is a lot easier.

You could also try and igore beats 2,3 and 4 and just concentrate on the first beat then try playing 3 noted in the space of the first beat, which is now as long as four beats. This is basically the same as the above suggestion but if you want to get used to playing 3 notes over 4 beats then this way is probably better.