Hey, i've been looking for a new amp now from mesas to oranges to carvins, blah blah. I came across the AC30 and i would like some non guitar center-employee advice on this amp.

I generally play moderate to heavy rock but i like to have an alive sounding clean channel if that makes any sense. I play The Receiving End Of Sirens, Circa Survive, Envy On The Coast, Thrice, etc. If you don't know how these bands sound please don't try and give me advice unless you listen to them first. Countless people have turned me towards "metal" amps before and while i would like the option to go heavier at times, it's definitely not a priority.

OK so is the AC30 for me? By doing some reading it's obvious i will need a pedal to get some heavier tones. What pedal would work well for the music i play???

Is there anything else i should know?

Thanks.
Quote by TheCama
you are my bitches. all of you. don't fool yourself. i pwn.
the ac30 won't handle metal well at all. what's your budget ? something like an ENGL or a use mesa mark IV might be good options.
OK, I'd never listened to any of those band before, and if these songs aren't representitive of their work, don't listen to me at all.

I listened to (on Youtube)

TREOS - The Evidence
Circa Survive - The Difference Between
Envy On The Coast - Sugar Skulls
Thrice - Image of the invisible

Now, I can't imagine anybody could really call the first three "metal," and I certainly think that with the right boost, you could get in the gain ballpark of the heavier parts of those songs with an AC30. I've always thought that the Vox clean was very "alive" sounding as you put it.

The Thrice song seems like it might have a little too much gain for the AC30 to cop the tone.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
okay let me make this clearer, metal is NOT a priority, i'm just saying i would like the option to go somewhat heavy with the amp, therefore i need a suggestion for a distortion pedal to put in front of the amp to give it a heavier side while still keeping the amp for the godly cleans.
Quote by TheCama
Ok so i've listened to those bands on Youtube (never heard of them before now) and i really think the AC30 is the wrong amp for you, it does have great cleans which you say you want but it doesn't have the gain for what you want unless you would consider the Classic plus series which have more gain, they might get you what you're looking for...otherwise i'd look at the Orange Rocker 30. But i do think a regular AC30 would be wrong for you, they are much more vintage sounding (think Queen, Rory Gallagher, Rolling Stones)
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Yup you can't go wrong with the Vox for awesome cleans, and a good distortion pedal will get you a decent yet not great metal tone. The AC30 is a pretty good amp for low gain/medium gain stuff, check out Brian May of Queen, he uses an AC30 and can get a very overdriven sound from it with help from a boost pedal.
Where are you gonna be playing. You really gotta crank those. It may be likely that you won't even be able to get it loud enough to get it even a bit crunchy, unless you are playin large clubs, or us an attenuator.

Listen to Dean DeLeo of STP. His tone is about as nasty as possible on an AC30, and he runs those through Marshall cabs.
darn. I have been looking for a good amp for me for a long ass time now and cannot find one at all. I checked out the orange rocker 30 earlier in my search but the lack of reverb/effects loop/lack of clean channel control really turns me off. I really like the orange rockerverb 50 but it is honestly way too expensive. Help me?
Quote by TheCama
Alright, I think that you can work with an AC30 and some OD's and dirt boxes just fine. But that's me. Something like a Carvin V3 might be a little better for you.
Quote by Koolcow
darn. I have been looking for a good amp for me for a long ass time now and cannot find one at all. I checked out the orange rocker 30 earlier in my search but the lack of reverb/effects loop/lack of clean channel control really turns me off. I really like the orange rockerverb 50 but it is honestly way too expensive. Help me?

Do you need reverb? Get a delay instead. Don't worry about the FX loops, you'll probably find later that you don't really need one. You could always get an EQ, Dano Fish N' Chips is amazing, costs £30ish.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
Do you need reverb? Get a delay instead. Don't worry about the FX loops, you'll probably find later that you don't really need one. You could always get an EQ, Dano Fish N' Chips is amazing, costs £30ish.

Yes, i need reverb, that could be solved with buying a reverb pedal but i'm more concerned about the FX loop....i've never played through one but i hear it's a BAD idea to run delay and what not in front of an amp instead of through the FX loop. and I love effects

to the other guy, i've looked at the carvin V3, but got steered away from it by people telling me it's too agressive for me...there's also no way i can try it without buying it around here.
Quote by TheCama
Quote by Koolcow
Yes, i need reverb, that could be solved with buying a reverb pedal but i'm more concerned about the FX loop....i've never played through one but i hear it's a BAD idea to run delay and what not in front of an amp instead of through the FX loop. and I love effects

to the other guy, i've looked at the carvin V3, but got steered away from it by people telling me it's too agressive for me...there's also no way i can try it without buying it around here.

Meh you really don't need as FX loop that bad, i never use mine, i find most effects just sound better in front of the amp anyway
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
i think that you could definitely get away with using an ac30 to play stuff like thrice...mainly because i saw them 2 weeks ago and they were playing through ac30s...haha. just get some solid od pedals and you'll be fine. good luck, and btw circa opened for thrice! 'twas sweet
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
A Vox AC30 is my absolute favorite amp. It sounds great overdriven or with an analog distortion pedal.

If you want a balls to the wall disto sound slap a metal muff in front of it.
I don't own an AC30, but I have been checking them out myself.

From what I've heard you could definitely cover a circa survive/recieving end of sirens/envy sound. Not so much thrice though. (Yes I listen to all those bands.)
Gear:

Gibson Faded SG Special
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12
Taylor 110 Acoustic
you should look into hughes and kettner or engl. both of them are pretty up there for versatility. and the hughes and kettner's clean channel is just as good as vox.