Hey,

I'm newly registered on here and also a fairly new guitarist. I currently own a Stagg Stratocater copy and was just wondering where to go from here.

I constantly hear people saying that Strat copies are the ****s to learn on, and was thinking maybe I should buy something else. However, other people tend to think I should upgrade my current guitar with better pickups/strings etc

what is the general opinion guys?? I'd really appreciate some help.

thanks

Last edited by mattiwillohouse at May 28, 2008,
i'd say buy a new one.

But remember, it all depends on yr budget.

If yr budget is only around £150, u might aswell just upgrade that one.

If its £350+, buy a new guitar.
well if its a strat copy its probably got one fat mother of a neck so that makes learning how to play an experience, all i'll say is go out and play some guitars, play contrasting kinds of guitar and find one that you like, even if you don't have the money for that exact guitar im sure the guys at your local music store can point you in the general direction of the next closest thing...

.....and no matter how bad the guitar is (to a certain degree...warping doesnt count haha) a duncan invader can make anything sound better :p
Guitarist for Adelaide Post Hardcore band Emerald City EmeraldCityAU

Playing a Fender Blacktop Tele through an Orange Dual Terror and 2x12.
if ur a beginner then upgrade i reckon, i dunno dude it is down to budget and commitment really.

just whack new pups in it. (pickups)
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your guitar, it's more than good enough to learn on - you don't need to upgrade anything and you certainly don't need to buy a new one. You might want to look at getting a better amp though, if you've just got one of those no-mark 15 watt starter amps they sound pretty terrible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your guitar, it's more than good enough to learn on - you don't need to upgrade anything and you certainly don't need to buy a new one. You might want to look at getting a better amp though, if you've just got one of those no-mark 15 watt starter amps they sound pretty terrible.

I thought about better pickups as well as the amp cos yeah it's a little squirer starter amp and it buzzes a bit. which affects buzz the most, amps or pickups?
Quote by mattiwillohouse
I thought about better pickups as well as the amp cos yeah it's a little squirer starter amp and it buzzes a bit. which affects buzz the most, amps or pickups?

Pickups aren't going to make any difference, they're certainly not worth wasting your money on...a set of pickups would set you back about £100, you could pretty much get yourself a Roland Cube for that.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70527
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hey, im also a new guitarist (only 2 days lol) Im currently playing a squier stratocaster which sounds awful and only costs about £100. I am saving for an epiphone les paul, i think they are awesome guitars, when i get good i will buy a gibson les paul.

Here is a vid of a guy playing a epiphone les paul custom, look through his vids, he has tonnes of epiphones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ixZNoyxG0