Ok, well my band who has finally been getting some recognition is yet again having problems and it's beginning to look like a soap opera. Here's the deal: Our bassist/(tone-deaf)singer was kicked out because he just could not sing(we offered to let him stay as just the bass player but he refused) 2 months ago. Our drummer has recently gotten the boot for completely ditching the band (he has however remained my friend, unlike the old bassist). All the while, the old bassist has been in a new band and a complete dick to us and for the most part stolen the old drummer from us behind our back. Now, we're drummerless with 2 gigs in two weeks(one with the old bassists new ban BTW) and basically up s*** creek without a paddle.

But there's more, our rhythm guitarist is also a competent drummer who could fill in for the two shows or even permanently and we get a fellow guitar playing friend of the band to take the spot BUT...the current rhythm guitarist has been the singer since the old bassist was out. This would me to play and sing or our bassist to sing. The other option is we just find a new drummer, which in this area, is a fairly hard task.

Ideas?

BTW, if kept up with that then congrats!
Yeah. I got lost somewhere in the first paragraph.

My advice would be - only have members who are dedicated to one band. And make sure they're good at what they do.
My band,The Fifth Gate, always has these problems we had a show a while ago under the name Containment and the day of the show i got arrested and **** and had no practice time before the show so i forgot the words to Metallica's For whom the bell tolls.. theres even a video on youtube... haha..

As of now we have a voccalist who doesnt really sing that well but he tries we have a lead guitarist who doesnt learn some of the songs a bassist who doesnt learn any.. a phenomenal drummer god... he just got new DW 9000 double kickers god...
and me the rythm/scream am doing pretty good surprizingly i just broke my Epiphone Sg.. dropped it on my amp and it split the head from the neck up to the third fret... done thats what i get for buying and Epiphone we have a show this friday..

But anyway good luck to you and your band keep me updated .
Quote by XWildxChildX

But there's more, our rhythm guitarist is also a competent drummer who could fill in for the two shows or even permanently and we get a fellow guitar playing friend of the band to take the spot BUT...the current rhythm guitarist has been the singer since the old bassist was out. This would me to play and sing or our bassist to sing. The other option is we just find a new drummer, which in this area, is a fairly hard task.

Why can't he sing AND play drums?

Do you guys have any shows coming up?

If there is a real need for a drummer fast, I say make the rhythm guitarist drummer at least temporarily. I would try to keep him at whatever instrument he's better at it. I think you should ask what instrument he is more interested in playing for the band as well.

So basically, depending on how he is and his willingness to play drums, you may need to find someone else.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Firstly, you can't really complain that the old bassist stole your drummer after you kicked the drummer out, he's not in your band so your old bassist is perfectly entiteled to ask him to join his band.

For advice, you could try looking for a new singer if there are no drummers around, because singers are generally more common than drummers. If you can't find either you could play your next two gigs as acoustic sets, depending on whether you style, and the style they expect you to play, suit it.

If you really can't find a drummer you could ask your old drummer play for a couple of gigs, as you said you were still friends.

Lastly, if you really can't do it, cancel the gigs with plently of notice (not like the day before).
i say YOU or the BASSIST sings if one of you can, put rythm on drumms or you find a local band and ask to borrow ther drummer (OR singer, look around for a singer)
Quote by 12345abcd3
Firstly, you can't really complain that the old bassist stole your drummer after you kicked the drummer out, he's not in your band so your old bassist is perfectly entiteled to ask him to join his band.
before).

Well, the old bassist stealing him is the reason he quit coming which led us to give him the boot.

And yes, we have 2 shows in 2 weeks and need to be ready. I think we may have to just put rhythm on drums and I sing (or the bassist) Like many of you said.
Thanks for the ideas BTW.
Quote by XWildxChildX

Ideas?

Try getting a new drummer first. If that fails, try getting a singer. If that fails try it with you singing, then the bassist singing and even the rhythm guitarist guy on drums, just because he's playing drums, that doesn't mean he automaticaly can't sing as well.
Then just go with whatever sounds best until you can get a perminant drummer.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at May 29, 2008,