Hi, im planning on building a 7 string over the summer but I have a question about neck dimensions. How does the neck of a 7 string compare to a 6 string in width? For example, could i use a standard neck with a paddle headstock and change the nut or would i need to build something wider? Its just i have access to an old neck i found in school the workshop at school, and I would rather use this if possible as opposed to building a neck from scratch or paying £160 for one.

Also, would anyone be able to suggest where i could buy a cheap 7 string neck? I looked around but the only ones i could find were Warmoth and they're expensive, im just after something for a summer project, it doesnt have to be amazingly playable.

Thanks, I'm a bit of a noob but i couldnt find anything specific to building 7 string necks on the net at all.
Quote by rebelmidget
your pubes are like the amazon rainforest and your body is planet earth. trim a little here and there and your life will be more comfortable
but cut down the whole damn forest and mother nature is going to cut you

the neck needs to be wider than a 6 string to accomodate the 7th string. If you put a custom nut on a 6 string neck, the strings would be too close together and the intonation would be a nightmare. Look for a neck on ebay, you may find a gem there but buyer beware (that was not meant to rhyme)
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by fireball85
Hi, im planning on building a 7 string over the summer but I have a question about neck dimensions. How does the neck of a 7 string compare to a 6 string in width? For example, could i use a standard neck with a paddle headstock and change the nut or would i need to build something wider? Its just i have access to an old neck i found in school the workshop at school, and I would rather use this if possible as opposed to building a neck from scratch or paying £160 for one.

Also, would anyone be able to suggest where i could buy a cheap 7 string neck? I looked around but the only ones i could find were Warmoth and they're expensive, im just after something for a summer project, it doesnt have to be amazingly playable.

Thanks, I'm a bit of a noob but i couldnt find anything specific to building 7 string necks on the net at all.

Could you go to the guitar store and look at 7 string necks there?