I have done some major searching for about the past month, from u.g. to many other search engines and have found nothing truly helpful.

I have been apart of a band for some time now and we have a few songs and a small cd that we released but we have not been able to afford another one. I am wondering how do I go about getting sponsored. I dont mean something like fender or anything big but maybe a small string company or even something not music like a clothing line or hell, even meijer for all I care. I am just interested in getting a little help because all our families have decided to stop giving u funding so were now dead flat, I sit in the park playing guitar once a week but I only make $20 tops a month if I am lucky. I just need some help, please only serious answers.

Also, I know it helps to have a portfolio to send to companies... can anyone lead me in the direction on a basicl layout of one of these?

I thank you in advance to anyone that helps me.
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
do you guys play shows?
doing that can get you guys some money... and it would be better than you playing guitar in a park...
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Quote by shdowfox17
do you guys play shows?
doing that can get you guys some money... and it would be better than you playing guitar in a park...

we did once for someones sweet 16 and it was all covers :/

it took us like 3 months to sell off the 50 cds we had made so we are somewhat know within our 2 schools that the band members go to. Though I have tried getting a gig, there doesnt seem to be a place we can play, I have tried bars, they say were to young. The modern has this dumb long wait time, and I am not sure where else to try.
Bring Back the Music

I am a gear whore... Any little odds and ends that is in the middle of nowhere, I am coming for you

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
It sounds way hot, fuzzy, and like i shoved a mic up my ass and ran up the stairs.
Get a job. It'll net you more than $20 a month. More if the rest of the band pitches in.

Or if you go to a smallish church, talk to the sound guy. More likely than not he'll have his own set-up at home. You might even be able to borrow the church's equipment.
I have been trying to get a job at everywhere but mcdonalds (because I despise that place) though I havnt given up yet, when I finaly do I was planning on putting at least 35% into a fund for equipment etc...

As for the curch guy I tried that one already, I am a member of 2 different churches and neither of them have any equipment I can use except for a piano.
Bring Back the Music

UG Missle Silo

Quote by SvnStringMaster
Start gigging (even if you have to play for free at first to get gigs) with your originals, this will help you sell CDs and eventually you will get decent paying gigs (assuming you don't suck), this will also help you get sponsored.

Also see if any of the churches will let you play gigs there.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Since I see you're also from downriver, MI I would really say try the Modern. What genre of music are you guys? A lot of the people that work there really have their head up their ass about bands, especially if you aren't really known, but you just have to be persistent with them, also knowing similar bands to yours helps a lot and trying to get a show with them.
I don't mean to sound like a douche, but you aren't going to get a sponsorship right now, unless somebody is feeling reaaally charitable. Sponsorships are a two-way deal. They provide you with strings, or discounts on merch, or whatever, and you help get their name out by means of advertisements at gigs, in interviews, etc.

You aren't a touring band, there's not much of a chance for you to get one. Sorry dude
Quote by yatta
I don't mean to sound like a douche, but you aren't going to get a sponsorship right now, unless somebody is feeling reaaally charitable. Sponsorships are a two-way deal. They provide you with strings, or discounts on merch, or whatever, and you help get their name out by means of advertisements at gigs, in interviews, etc.

You aren't a touring band, there's not much of a chance for you to get one. Sorry dude

you can get a minor sponsorship if you play locally, but you do have to gig a lot, like at least every other week if not every week.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, you really need to be gigging first in order to get sponsorship.
It works like this, companies give you money or equipment or even just their product, be it beer or towels or strings or whatever, in return for you advertising their name. For example, if you are sponsored by Rotosound, you will mention that you use Rotosound strings wherever possible. It will be in the cover of your recordings, in your tour programs, on any specs of your gear that you may have in interviews in magazines or other media and there will be a small Rotosound logo on all of your posters saying 'Sponsored by Rotosound'
Rotosound will also reserve the right to say in any of their adverts 'Elusive use Rotosound strings.'
Now, as you can see, without a gigging band, the only opportunity you will have to advertise a sponsor is on any recordings you release, so no one's gonna be likely to sponsor you until you are in a position to make sponsoring you a worthwhile proposition.
Yeah you're ahead of yourself a bit. If bars wont let you play for your age try coffee shops or set up your own shows.
It seems like your problem is not how to get a sponsor, but how to get gigs. You are going to have to set up your own shows, and you need to forget what the normal definition of a venue is. I have played in 15 by 15 rooms and made like 35 bucks, and that is split between three bands and the venue. Play spare rooms in pizza places, local art galleries, and place that has a decent amount of space. Then find bands that sound similar, or hell, even completely diferent form you. Use Myspace, and see how popular they are, and see if you can book them for your show. The key thing with setting up your own shows is you control the the ticket price and money distribution. Hell if Fugazi can sell no merch on their tours and only charge five bucks at the door and make a profit, so can you.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.