Alright, so I have an Epi LP100 and it's alright, I like the sound pretty much, at least from the bridge pickup. It's my second guitar. My first was a Squire Strat and I really disliked it, it had a very bland sound for the most part--but I also had a crappy amp too.

I recently saw and played an HSS strat, which I really liked. I liked the look and feel, as well as the versatility. For the most part, I play bluesy rock, like the White Stripes, Raconteurs, Black Keys, etc.

My question is, I'd be looking for my next guitar to be an upgrade from the Epi (of higher quality) so it's worth my money. Is an HSS Strat a higher end guitar? Or which model (MIM, MIJ, MIA, etc. although MIM is probably in the right price range and the most likely option) should I look at so I can ensure that it's a step up from my Epi? I'm basically looking to invest in a decent, versatile guitar that I won't have to replace for a long time and that is worth upgrading pickups, etc. on.
Last edited by TheProducer at May 28, 2008,
The MIM is a step up deffo. The Epi LP100 is the lowest end Epiphone Les Paul. Strats and Telecasters rule man go for it.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Yeah, I know it's definitely the cheapest Epi.

So the MIM HSS is a decent investment then? I'm looking to spend about in the price range and I'm looking for a guitar that'll last me a long time without needed to be replaced for a higher quality one. Also, something that is worth upgrading the pickups (if I ever feel the need) and customizing would be nice too. The Epi definitely isn't.
Alot can be done with a strat easily, very easy to mod. MIM Strats are very nice good investment they're soild last a long time and have a great sound.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Good to know. Yeah, I'm just looking for something that will last--not so much longevity of quality, but will be less of a "beginner" guitar than my Epi.
MIM Strats are used among advanced players as well. If your on a budget best Fender to get.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
That's also good to know. Sounds like I'll be looking into it. I wish they made a Brown Sunburst with a black pickguard and pups, but I guess I can't have everything.
Thats the one. =D
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
i would recommend a MIM strat HSS to anyone looking to play with its configuration and setup... lots of fun, and sound great.
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I like the tone on my Epi, but I rarely use the neck pickup, so I would like to have a more versatile neck pickup altogether.
Quote by Tomo J O
The MIM is a step up deffo. The Epi LP100 is the lowest end Epiphone Les Paul. Strats and Telecasters rule man go for it.

Wrong. The LP Junior is lower.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
ya I own a MIM HSS Strat and it's so good. I don't play any metal but it give me the right amount of punch I need for rock and punk.
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
It's a good guitar for your styles, and a definite step upwards. Also, it's a good guitar at the core of it's elements (good neck and body), so pugrading tuners, electronics, pickups, trem, etc. is worth your time and money.
i've been thinking of getting one too, i was wondering if it would atleast be decent with some heavier stuff just to play at home, not for gigging, like metallica or megadeath, stuff about that heavy, no deth metal or anything. And what would be a good pickup set that would sound great for blues/ blues rock and rock, and for things like iron maiden and possibly guns n roses and skid row, since that would be about as heavy as any songs i play at gigs would be, without making it sound bad on clean?
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Last edited by MiniMoose22031 at May 29, 2008,
I don't' regret buying mine one bit. Cleans are awesome and the humbucker provides a fair bit of punch if you need it

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by the.spine.surfs
It's a good guitar for your styles, and a definite step upwards. Also, it's a good guitar at the core of it's elements (good neck and body), so pugrading tuners, electronics, pickups, trem, etc. is worth your time and money.

That is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

Any idea how much I can expect to pay for one of these new in a store? I went to Long & McQuade today (:S I hate that place, no offense to anyone who might work there. My favorite shops don't carry Fender) but they didn't seem to have any out and I was in a hurry, so I didn't get a chance to ask for a price.
Look on eBay if you trust them. Then again, there's always the law to back you up. But the other day i sawy a 200$ amp go for 50 bucks in eBay. I'm sure you could find a nice strat for 150-350 there.
Wow, i paid $1000 for mine

Granted our currency sucks... but... damn...

Mah Gear
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Quote by wolfy808
Look on eBay if you trust them. Then again, there's always the law to back you up. But the other day i sawy a 200$ amp go for 50 bucks in eBay. I'm sure you could find a nice strat for 150-350 there.

CL has nothing right now. Kijiji.ca has lots of guitars, but not what I'm looking for. I don't have a problem with eBay, I've bought an expensive bass guitar off there and it all worked out fine, but I'd like something involving a bit less of a hassle i.e. no duty, shipping, etc. Unless of course I find a Canadian listing... I would really like to play it first though--ideally.
Quote by HonorableGoat
Wow, i paid $1000 for mine

Granted our currency sucks... but... damn...

Well, I'm talking about a Standard Strat Made in Mexico (MIM) model. Heard they are pretty decent.

Perhaps you have the American Standard? Made in, well, America? I'd hope so...
Heh, nope.. mines a MIM strat :P

Prices tend to be quite high here for good instruments though... don't regret the purchase of it at all

Mah Gear
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

Wow, that's rough though. I haven't gotten around to looking at any of the prices here in Canada yet, hope they're similar to the USD ones though.