Anyone else think that he doesn't get as much credit as he should, or as much recognition as a great bassist as he deserves?
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
He has a signature bass already

but yet he's one of the better pick bassists i know
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
He gets less credit than he deserves, but he's not the best ever, or even close. A while back there was a lot of mentioning of him that has since died down.

And many people will disagree with us on this.
what about frederic leclercq? he deserves more credit. brilliant bassist
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
He's a good bassist, who knows exactly where his pocket is. However, he doen't have great technical abilities.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm not sure how selling around 50 million albums makes you underrated.
Quote by smb

That was my thought too. Signature bass and the sales from G'N'R and Velvet Revolver seem to imply he's not exactly an unsung bassist.

As far as abilities, he's not a technical wunderkid on the bass, but the right bassist for the band. He knows his job and gets it done.
Quote by smb

Yeh I know what you mean, but its mainly Slash this, and Axl that, I just feel that Duff doesn't get as much of a mention.

I am talking about the Guns N' Roses era, not the Velvet Revolver one.
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by Miracle_Man
Yeh I know what you mean, but its mainly Slash this, and Axl that, I just feel that Duff doesn't get as much of a mention.

I am talking about the Guns N' Roses era, not the Velvet Revolver one.

That is simply because Axl and Slash are/were such huge personalities. It is difficult for skill and taste to be noticed when the singer is jumping into the crowd and picking fights.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I don't think he is underrated.
Having a signature bass means nothing even hoppus has one which says enough. If he can get a signature everyone can.

Signature basses have nothing to do with the quality of the bassist it's pure marketing. Hoppus is famous McKagan is famous so distributing signatures means more money in Fender's pocket.

Most people (including me) think Claypool is a great bassist but he doesn't have a signature bass.

As for McKagan Anarkee is right. He is no wonderboy but he is perfect for the band.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
At least Duff gets more name recognition than the drummer, Steven Adler, though Adler's drug consumption edged him into a bit of infamy at one point.
Quote by anarkee
At least Duff gets more name recognition than the drummer, Steven Adler, though Adler's drug consumption edged him into a bit of infamy at one point.

Who?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I like Duff, I do. And I think as of now, he's one of the best pick bassists ever BUT....

IMO a good bassist needs to learn many styles of playing, not just picking. I've never seen him slap or anything...ever. So as much as i love him.....yeah
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
He's a very solid player, which is what Guns N' Roses needed. They had a very good lead guitarist in Slash, a highly dynamic and energetic frontman, and needed a very strong and consistent rhythm section. Duff and Adler fit together extremely well, which is the most important thing, full stop, for a bassist.

So no, not the most technically impressive bassist, but exactly what the band needed. And you can't criticise him for being just that. To the guy who said he should slap...I can't think of a single song by G'N'R where a slap bassline would have improved things. :P
Duff is a great inspiration to me, im a big GnR/Fan. I think Duff writes great basslines, and his projects where he has played lead arent bad either! I love his bass tone, it sounds lovely and trebly but holds down the bottom end really well. Ide love to have his signature bass! He is a great bassist for the style of music he plays.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
His lines are cool. Nothing technical. He gave G'n'R the swagger that they had with his grooving lines. Nearly as important as slash's leads IMO.
I've recently discovered him and like him alot. Sometimes a bass player needs to glue things together instead of being a lead player. Duff was a great glue. He layed the foundation with simple and recurring sounds, but then spiced it up ever so slightly with a few simple runs, all of which added to the song and matched the sound nicely. Which, is exactly what bass guys need to do for the most part.

Some people just don't understand that playing harder and faster and sticking out more with crazy parts doesn't necessarily make better music.
One of the best pick bassists i know of... I Am currently reading slash's autobiography... And he was the glue that held the bands sound together and helped right a lot of GNR's best songs.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
duff's solid, not technically skilled nor a great improvisor, but his basslines always provided color. I think he's underrated as a musician overall rather than as a bassist, i mean he plays just about every instrument and sings and has led successful projects on every front.
Almost every GnR song (if not all) have solid basslines. Nothing flashy, but enough to get the job done.

Not only did he hold the band together musically, but behind the scenes as well (as long as possible before drugs/egos took over)
Quote by Hammerzeit
His lines are cool. Nothing technical. He gave G'n'R the swagger that they had with his grooving lines. Nearly as important as slash's leads IMO.

Very much true, I think GnR would NOT be the same without his lines. He knew exactly when to play what, and there is never a note out of place.
which, I think makes him better than super fast bassists. like oh, I dont know........coughbillysheenancough.........
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

His sparky tone.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.
My favorite rock bassist, GnR is my favorite band too. He is everythin that he should be for a good rock and roll bassist. I love his tone and style of playing. Duff's the man!
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Duff is actually my No.1 inspiration on bass, he inspired me to play pickstyle and use a chorus effect a la You Could be Mine. He's not a GREAT bassist but I probably never will be either, so I try my hardest to sound and play like him. I didn't even know he had a signature model though.
Quote by anarkee

Are you kidding? Have you even SEEN steven adler's hair?! That alone should give him more recognition than slash or axl combined.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke