hey.. i use GNX3000 guitar processor and Ibanez prestige 2550E (dimarzio pickups). I've been trying to immitate a dynamic tone like satriani is using these days. check this youtube video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paeNnR33i5Q .. check what he does at 1:10.

I dont understand how he sustains a note for that long. As far as i understand he gradually increased his volume at that part. Is it simply because of the pickup he is using? or are there some other factors there too? If the pickup is the key reason then i'll give a good thought on changing my pickups because even though i like the sound of those dimarzios i have, its not very good at sustaining notes.

thanks
Tanvir
Controlled feedback.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
a lot of the time it's about how the note's played, as well as how the guitar resonates. sometimes, though, just having a crazy expensive rig, as well as a pro guitar tech would make this easier.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by tubab0y
Controlled feedback.

what do you mean by saying joe used controlled feedback? he wasnt anywhere near his cabinet/monitor. can you tell me with a little bit more details
Last edited by tanvir at May 28, 2008,
from what i can tell he just pinched a harmonic and gradually increased volume while vibrattoing it to keep it going. Just my best guess....
Quote by kd420
from what i can tell he just pinched a harmonic and gradually increased volume while vibrattoing it to keep it going. Just my best guess....

yeah i thought that too... but how can he sustain for so long!!! is this because of the pickups he's using?
He uses dimarzio aswell... He has his own signature ones. So the pickups are NOT your problem
I would say pinch with controlled feedback. You don't have to be very close to a 120 watt half stack to feed back if the volume is much past 1 or 2.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
prhaps a fernandes sustainer or something?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
prhaps a fernandes sustainer or something?

that would be my suggestion
the fact he flicks something on the guitar suggests a sustainer
its controlled feedback i.e he picks a note, mutes the other strings possibly adds a bit of vibrato to the note he picked and lets the amp feedback continue its ringing