I'm looking at the Ibanez RGR421EXFM and it has EMG designed pickups. Are these actually EMG pickups or Ibanez-built? What are they most similar to, like an 81 or 60?
Thanks
Ibanez built passives.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
they are similar to emg hz's (Passives) but don't have the oomf that hzs have, let alone the active 81, ect.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Would you recommend upgrading to real EMG's such as the 81?
Last edited by )(yperX at May 28, 2008,
yes. deffinately it'll be a little for installastion but its worth it
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Yes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Ok thanks.

Sorry I'm new, but what is the difference between passive and active?
60 is great for clean playin in th bridge, the 85 is better for dirty playing.
Quote by Green RATM Day

Quote by The Raven

All My Equipment
Quote by )(yperX
Ok thanks.

Sorry I'm new, but what is the difference between passive and active?

Without going into a detailed explanation, basically active = batteries and passive = no batteries
Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez IC-400 [Made in Korea, Aug. 2005]
Ibanez Studio ST55 [Made in Japan, Sept. 1980]
VOX AD50VT Amp
Morley Bad Horsey Wah
BOSS MD-2 Mega Distortion Pedal
Ok I see.

I'm assuming it's best to have different pickups in the guitar, not the same for both slots?

What would be the best combination for my new Ibanez RGR421EXFM?
I'd say not EMG's, But Seymour Duncans (SH5 Duncan Custom at the bridge, and an SH2 Jazz at the neck) or Dimarzios (A Tone Zone at the bridge, and a PAF Pro at the neck).
the websites are:
www.seymourduncan.com and http://www.dimarzio.com/site/.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 28, 2008,
They're better pickups than anyone on UG would admit. I went to a show last week, where the rythem guitarist for a nationally touring band was playing a $300 RG2EX1 with those pickups, into a 6505 with a Recto 4x12". It's almost like he knew how important his amp and cab were for his tone.

Crazy idea: play the guitar with the pickups in it before you feel the need to tear them out and replace them.
Quote by )(yperX
Also what is a good combo? 81/60, 81/85 or something else?

Thanks

I really like the 81TW/89 combo in my Hellraiser, but like the.spine.surfs said, actually play the Ibanez before you even think about replacing the pickups.
Last edited by aznmetalhead93 at May 29, 2008,
Yeah I've played them and I mean this is a step up from what I had before so anything is going to sound better than my old electric. Since this is the guitar I want to put money into I want to get the best sound out of it, so sometime soon I want to put nice EMG's in it.

Since I don't know a whole lot about pickups, I see EMG has a variety of models. For playing a little bit of everything but mostly metal/alternative what combo do you think is best?

81TW
60A

Seems like quite a task to choose 2 of them .

Thanks for all the help.
Last edited by )(yperX at May 28, 2008,
before you buy the EMG's, be aware that a bit of wiring is required. But if you have your heart set on them, put two battery clips in because they apparently sound better that way. I'd say an 81tw in the bridge, and an 89 in the neck.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the ibanez pickups are not as bad as everyone says. Especially the INF I and II pickups I think are great. Anyways, Dont put the EMG actives. The actives are great pickups, but there are other great pickups that will give you the same and more.
What are battery clips if you don't mind me asking?

Whats the difference between the 81 and 81TW, 60 and 60A?
Also are pickups made specifically for the bridge and neck or are they interchangeable?
Last edited by )(yperX at May 29, 2008,