I Just got a hand-me-down guitar from my cousin. Its a Fender Stratocaster and its in fairly decent condition. Everything is still all stock parts besides the neck. I have one question though.. I play for a metal band and Id like to know if i can get a more metal tone to it. So Im basicly looking for new pickups..But all the pickups i get suggested are humbucker pickups. Im very new to adding equipment to guitars so please excuse my ignorance. What kind of pickups should i purchase?
EMG 81/60. You might have to do some roghting, but for metal, you really need humbuckers.
Quote by xNIHILISMx
I Just got a hand-me-down guitar from my cousin. Its a Fender Stratocaster and its in fairly decent condition. Everything is still all stock parts besides the neck. I have one question though.. I play for a metal band and Id like to know if i can get a more metal tone to it. So Im basicly looking for new pickups..But all the pickups i get suggested are humbucker pickups. Im very new to adding equipment to guitars so please excuse my ignorance. What kind of pickups should i purchase?

You can get humbuckers for your guitar. You'll just have to cut your pickguard or buy a new HH/HSH/HSS one- about $20

I'm no expert on which humbuckers are good, but someone will be.

EDIT: What amp do you have? What other gear will you use this with? Don't automatically go with EMG's either, consider many different options
get a duncan jb the world most used pickup
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
seymour duncan (and other less known companies) make some pretty good single coil sized humbuckers. also, EMG makes some single coils.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by skvvisgaar
seymour duncan (and other less known companies) make some pretty good single coil sized humbuckers. also, EMG makes some single coils.

Hot rails FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
emg's or other high output pickups will not make a better metal tone from a Solid State amp. They might actually make it worse.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
If you want to change your tone get a better amp. I think. lol?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
You'll want a better amp before you change pickups, I think. Tube amps are the way to go
You can get some benifit from changing pickups, but you are not going to get what you want. The line 6 spider takes your original tone and mixes it with lots of digital signals. What you hear coming out of your speaker is a little bit of guitar tone and a whole lot of amp tone so if you do change your pickups, don't expect too much.

When usings a solid state amp, it's a bad idea to use high output pickups. High output pickups are ment to drive the input stage of a tube amp. If you drive the input of an SS amp you get diode clipping which sounds very bad.

Although I would really suggest you change your amp 1st, if you are going to get new pickups, get some vintage output single coils with alnico magnets or if you change to humbuckers get PAF's. These won't give you a more "metal" tone than what you already have, but they will give you better tone all around.
Not taking any online orders.
while i agree on princable (?) you most defiantly hear the difference between humbuckers and single coils even through an icky line 6 although granted it won't quite as much difference as with a valve or even non modeling amp would.
I doubt any of that makes sense but at least i tried huh?
EDIT- forgot to say if you want to not buy a new pick guard then get some single size humbuckers (Seymour Duncan, Dimarzzio) I think red lace sensors might do what you want as well.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
Last edited by guitar is yummy at May 29, 2008,