How in the hell are you supposed to know when to come in on the main riff sections??? I've tried tapping my foot to Robert Plant's accapella lyrics but the instruments come in seemingly at random times. I don't get it. I can play the riff but it's hard to play with a recording because it catches me off guard and I come in at a slightly different time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T2M6yV6mueg
ummmmmmmmmmmmm......they all come in at the same time. Listen to the album sonny.
over and over and over and over and over and over and in your sleep until you get it down.
Quote by Sly Taco
ummmmmmmmmmmmm......they all come in at the same time. Listen to the album sonny.

Of course they do... seemingly at a random time after Robert Plant quits singing. I just can't figure out what beat they're coming in on or whatever. Basically Robert Plant sings, then the instruments come in all at the same time anywhere from 0.5 to 2 seconds or so after he shuts up. It's just an odd beat and I really can't figure it out, I don't know how they know when to start playing. It's probably obvious to somebody out there. Just tap your foot along with it... even that doesn't work all that great.
i know exactly what youre talking about. i dont think they start at the same time either.

sometimes i hate when songs just jump into the music like that because when im playing along with them, i can almost never start at the exact moment they do. i like when they start with some kind of drum or bass beat or something.
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

...yeeup
go into the theory side of it, from memory, i believe the guitar etc. parts come in half a beat after robert plant does his final note. i.e. he sings his note and half a beat later (while the note is still being held) the guitars come in, listen to the record and try to work it out. you could also tap into another musician's part for some of the bits.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Yeah, I can't time that either.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
You need to hear this one numerous times as Sly Taco has said. Thought I will admit its easier when you are playing with a live drummer as apposed to a video of Jon Bonham.

Also, try singing the bass line and then play it with the record. You just need to get keyed into the nuances of the timing.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The timing isn't THAT weird. Also, there are some triplets in the rhythm so that might be throwing you off.

Actually playing it, and playing those triplets, I can do ok. I mostly just can't figure out when to start, when to play the first note. IF I happen to start on time, I can actually play along with the recording, although tapping my foot along is kinda weird. The drums will hit in a spot that I'm not expecting them to but I can get over that.

I tried tapping my foot to the beat of Robert's lyrics, which I think I'm going to have to do, but then they come in at a weird time, they don't come in on a strong beat... then the next line in the verse it seems like it's on a yet another weird beat that isn't the same. That's what's messing with me.

There's got to be some kind of method to it.
it comes in on an anacrusis(sp) [it comes in on a beat that isn't 1] it comes in on 4 if i recall correctly
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
after listening to it just before the riff begins, the drummer clacks his sticks. As soon as you hear the clack(?) begin to play. Thats what i do and i can nearly time it perfect
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
after listening to it just before the riff begins, the drummer clacks his sticks. As soon as you hear the clack(?) begin to play. Thats what i do and i can nearly time it perfect

Damn, you're right... it's very subtle, but it's obviously there. Wow that makes alot more sense. That's got to be what they're basing it off of... why else would he just clack his sticks a split second before they start? It's not like it's adding to the sound, you can barely hear it.
^
Yeah, its very quiet but its definitely there and it helps a lot.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
^
Yeah, its very quiet but its definitely there and it helps a lot.

ScottB has nailed it. TS--you need to stop listening to Robert's "vocals" and key on Bonham. In real life you will be keying in on the drummer anyway, so this is good practice for when you jam with a band.

I can play it with my drummer because I can catch his up swing or physical readiness before he wails into the next bit.
exactly, wait for the snare. Wait for it...............................................BAMBEIITCHES!!!!
i noticed the clicking thing too right away
but the wierd thing is in the first and last verse he clicks then there is a short pause, like a 16th note or something but in the middle verse they come in like instantly right after he clicks

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by anarkee
ScottB has nailed it.

That was just asking to be sigged.
Quote by guitarhero_764

The riff doesn't come in particularly weird at all. Count from when the riff ends the first time, two bars rest, then it comes in. Listen again.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
It's quite easy. As it was stated before the album version has ticks before the start of the riff. The live versions are even easier because Plant sings the lyrics in a perfect rythm. You can rely on that. Like this:
Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove
The beats are in bold. After the last beat you just start playing the riff. Nothing special.
By the way: great song and really fun to play!
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
I talked to my resident John Bonham about this today and we decided to watch the song on the Led Zeppelin DVD. Its interesting to see how they do key off of each others physical cues to play the song.

Of course, my drummer said everyone just knew to come in because that's the moment that Robert Plant would come out of the acapella section and flip his hair dramatically, lol.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N9i2fqxSjTI