hey guys,
i just wanted to know which effects or pedals adam jones of tool uses for the song "jambi"
i dont get the right sound for the kick ass intro
thanks
Search Adam Jones, huge thread concerning his gear and what he uses about a week ago.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm pretty sure that it's just dry through the amp Distortion for the most part..

He's got some really nice percussive pull offs going on though... Maybe possible that he's alternate picking it though
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Bogner ubershall with preamp distorsion.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Throughout the album he used a mix of a Diezel VH4, Marshall Superbass, Bogner Uberschall, and Rivera KR7. Live, his higher gain tone comes primarily from a pair of VH4's.
Halikus, saying that it's with preamp distortion doesn't help much. In any case, 1, there's likely an element of power amp distortion. Also, basically any moderately high to high gain tone will involve preamp distortion. However, the tone used for that intro also has less gain than it initially seems like.
There is tonnes of poweramp thump in AJ's tone. The thickness in the Jambi opening riff is not from the preamp gain. That's just where the edge and crunch is coming from.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
It's on the verge of distortion, like roll off your volume knob to clean it up when you are dialed into a heavy distortion, and palm mute. But you have to palm mute to give it that clean attack.
Of course theres going to be power amp distorsion but I made that comment to basically say you wont get there with a pedal so thats out of the question.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
if your wondering what effects he uses through out the song: talk box, delay, and wah. you can do the solo with a wah and delay. i think he uses a foxx tone machine as well.
Ibanez RG120 (EMG 81s)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature G-400
Diezel Herbert w/ Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cab
Boss ME-50
DOD FX40B Equalizer
Boss MT-2
Boss DD-3
Boss BF-3
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR M-133